Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
#1 All campers are cheaply made. Jayco rates their bunks for 600 lbs, you should see how low other manufacturers rate them.

#2 A Jayco travel trailer is not designed for full time living. (snip) Buying the absolute wrong tool and then blaming the tool is laughable.

#3 Issues with third party components, such as the circuit board for the water heater, are specifically the problem of the manufacturer of the component, not Jayco.

#4 It sounds like Jayco is fixing everything... isn't that what you want as a consumer? Sounds like a Jayco WIN to me... (snip)

Maybe in the future you will buy the right tool for the job (like an actual mobile home or full timing rig if you plan to live for an extended period of time) rather than buying the flimsiest option that Jayco makes having irrational expectations. (snip)
I have a Jayco and have no problems with it. Getting the run-around from the dealer is complete BS. Rating this bunk bed like they do is also complete BS. How can you back Jayco with such lousy design/construction? I would be mad as hell if I had one fail that was simply stapled to a 2x2!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I have a Jayco and have no problems with it. Getting the run-around from the dealer is complete BS. Rating this bunk bed like they do is also complete BS. How can you back Jayco with such lousy design/construction? I would be mad as hell if I had one fail that was simply stapled to a 2x2!
I got news for you... yours is made of 2×2 as well...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I got news for you... yours is made of 2×2 as well...
Yeah, I know that. I beefed-up the pedestal of the bed because of the "light" construction. His description of the bunk bed failure is not the first described on this forum. Jayco could get sued royally if someone gets hurt knowing of the histories of failures. Staples to secure the top bunk (described by someone above) are NOT fasteners that resist shear forces. It seems that vertical aluminum angle supports or similar should be used from the floor and upwards.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #24

My last three with bunks were a Keystone a Timberlodge and a Keystone Montana. The bunks came loose in all three.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:16 AM   #25

The bunks in our 154bh are supposedly rated for 300lb. After a quick glance at the construction I wouldn't put anything over 150 on them, particularly people. Seems to me that although adults can be made to fit, bunks are really meant for kiddos.

Obviously some sense must be applied here regardless of manufacturers ratings. 600 lbs seems like a lot to ask of a bunk bed.
Jc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #26

I realize things will go wrong on units that travel up and down the road frequently, but I expect safety to be a top priority.
And bunks separating from the wall is a major safety matter, especially for the person sleeping on the bottom bunk.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #27

People saying that she bought the inexpensive Jayco:
Understand that if the bunk says it supports 400-600 lbs, it should support 400-600 lbs. It needs to do this faithfully. This is a major safety issue, and it should not be taken lightly.

Those of us that buy the less expensive models (we have a 26bh) don't expect bells and whistles. I expected a crappy sound system, fake stainless steel, little space, and fewer amenities. Understandable at this price point.
We spent a bit more on the Jayco name since it advertises a better build quality, so we expect a better build quality. And we should command and expect basic safety in any unit at any price point.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #28

When you take the time to sign up with the user name "Jayco Fails" I think it shows you have an agenda other than asking for help. I wonder what the real agenda may be ? Work for a competing mfg, and are upset Jayco is taking business from them? When we purchased our current Jayco, I weighted about 280 (since lost 50 +), I've had zero issues with the bed construction and we use the RV about 180 nights a year. We replaced the mattress, which I planned on doing before we purchased it, but have done nothing to "beef up" the bed platform.

Does Jayco really put a label on the bunk saying it's designed for 600 lbs? I find that hard to believe. I would have put a couple screws in and called it a night, rather than come on a private (nothing to do with Jayco, and Jayco has never openly been on here) and vent. Probably would of taken less time to put the screws in.

But we do live in the age of people being perpetually pissed off, they enjoy playing the victim, nothing is their fault, everyone is against them etc etc etc...

Joining a forum to research how to make your RV yours is where this forum shines.

This is not a hill to die on...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
People saying that she bought the inexpensive Jayco:
Understand that if the bunk says it supports 400-600 lbs, it should support 400-600 lbs. It needs to do this faithfully. This is a major safety issue, and it should not be taken lightly.
Two separate issues here...

#1 She bought the lowest model trailer that Jayco makes and is full timing in it. It is not expected to survive full time usage. Do your research before buying in the future.

#2 The failed bunk. This is a very rare issue, in fact I've never once heard of this happening. That means one of two things in my mind... Either it was abused (full time living, kids jumping up and down on one side, etc) or it was a rare manufacturing defect. Regardless of the reason for the failure of the bunk, Jayco is fixing it. I agree that this is a safety issue.

The 600 lbs rating is spread over the entire bunk, not rated for 600 lbs at one corner or the other. I see how rough my kids are with bunk beds at home, constantly jumping on/off one corner of the bed. It would not surprise me at all if the OP's family treated their bunk in the same fashion. Constant wear and tear on a bed that wasn't designed to handle constant wear and tear is a recipe for disaster.

And I can't help but come back to the fact that Jayco not only authorized a repair, but they authorized a mobile tech to come out and repair it faster than the OP's dealer could get to it. I don't know about you, but that sure sounds like Jayco stepped up and is going to make things right. Not sure what else the OP could ask...
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Does Jayco really put a label on the bunk saying it's designed for 600 lbs? I find that hard to believe.
Yes, they actually do! I have double bunks that are rated to 300 lbs (top is free floating) and a have a single bunk over the outdoor kitchen that is rated for 600 lbs (fully supported).

I HIGHLY doubt that the OP has a floating bunk rated for 600 lbs, but it is likely rated for 300 lbs (again... 300 lbs spread evenly over the entirety of the bunk, not 300 lbs on a 1 square foot corner).

The SLX line of trailers has less studs in the wall than the Jayflight too. I would expect the SLX to have a lower weight rating as a result of less structural support in the walls. I'm really surprised that the SLX has the same rating as the more structurally sound Jayflight.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #31

Good for you Siemese!! part of the prep. I pulled every screw added glue and put it back in. Reinforced bulkhead supports. Glued and extra screwed. Insulated where I wanted. Kids help do mods; mod #1-knocked a flimsy board off that didn't need to be there. Mod #2-added a little art work. Mod #3- made dad add rack fans to the bunks. Jayco warranty repairs; front cap repainted because of fading, converter replaced because of me. Trust it and tow it anywhere I can get into.

2016 23MB Jayflight
2016 GMC 1500 5.3 4X4 Z71
jtrhodes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #32

Attached is a 29bh getting the sidewall replaced. I wish the picture was directly at the bunks. The bed is made out of 2X2s running across. Both side rails are attached to the wall using 2" screws. The construction does work and will work if the screws hit studs. That is about a 50/50 chance at factory lol.

mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote