Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Top bunk falling, jayco FAIL

2018 jayflight 242bhsw, our top bunk is sliding down ripping the wall as it slides. Our son was sleeping up there (approx weight 220). Sticker on bunk says 600lb sleeping capacity and 400 storage. This is only 1 of about 20 different problems we have had. Control circut for our water heater has gone out twice, our table that converts to a bed has broke because the supports barely held the table edge when made into a bed. Main bed 1x1 has seperated from the plywood they were designed to support. Not to mention the list of 15 "minor" cosmetic things inside that fell apart or became detached after just 3 weekend camping trips.

All my friends had said Jayco trailers were made cheaply with poor quality materials but we had really liked the layout of this one and got it anyways. Now we are full timing with 3 kids waiting for our house to get ready after 3 months the water heater issue, top bunk and table have all broke. This is by far the worst purchase i have ever made in life. To get warranty work done to get this fixed is about a 4 month wait while the dealership keeps our trailer the whole time. Not possible since we are currently living in it.

Terrible workmanship, poor quality materials. Jayco customer service is just as incompetent as the workers and engineers that designed and built this trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
20181217_161030.jpg   20181217_161043.jpg   20181217_161130.jpg   20181217_161158.jpg  
Jayco fails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #2

Grab an air tank and a staple gun and you'll have it fixed in no time. All TTs are put together with a staple gun and 2x2s'. And yes we pay way to much for them.

I still love mine.

Would you feel better if the dealer told you that you were buying a POS and it would require lots of maintenance?

My bunks have been good but I did have to re engineer my dinette bed with better quality wood and screws that actually hit the wood or my 300lb mother in law would of been sleeping on the pots and pans stored below it.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #3

Are they going to call you when they can perform the work?
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #4

After reading all the posts about the poor quality and workmanship of Jayco products someone should put together a summation of all the problems owners have had and put them to Jayco. We pay good money for these units and expect to get something of value in return. Evidently, there is no level of pride within their organization.

Warranty work is a subject that seems to be universal throughout the country. I know dealers typyically don't profit from warranty work but why do they have to keep our units for so long? It's certainly not a way to keep repeat customers. If you drive in with non-warranty work that you will be paying cash for I'm sure you will be taken care of promptly.

I hope you get your trailer repaired soon so you can get back to normal.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
After reading all the posts about the poor quality and workmanship of Jayco products someone should put together a summation of all the problems owners have had and put them to Jayco. We pay good money for these units and expect to get something of value in return. Evidently, there is no level of pride within their organization.
You only hear from the minority and usually the ones who only join to complain. They produce over 40,000 units a year and don't you think if everything was "junk" they would be out of business. I've had 3 JAYCO and 5 STARCRAFT units and all have been good units. Warranty is only as good as your dealer. OP is complaining about the wait time, but that is the dealer not JAYCO.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #6

We have to call the dealership and drop our trailer off. So this will all have to wait til end of February or March

And yes i realize my issues are probably just a small percentage of the trailers but Jayco should then be more willing to help fix this rather than blowing me off when i call. In a country of 300 million consumers 40k units which is all sizes and types including 5th wheels, rvs, and pop ups its not that impressive of a number.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #7

8 units, i would assume you dont keep them long or use them enough to experience the problems. I havent even owned 8 cars in my life let alone trailers. I dont like to make larger purchases just to buy it again a year later. We bought this assuming it would last til our youngest kid was grown and out of the house and move on to a retirement trailer/rv not to trade it in 6 months later.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #8

Just pick up ours, After 6 months at the dealer! They blame Jayco- Jayco blames them Only one getting hurt is the customer. $5,500 later "Jayco bill" time to move on and enjoy Florida
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco fails View Post
8 units, i would assume you dont keep them long or use them enough to experience the problems.
Never used them or kept them long...Only since 1977, been to all lower 48, all of the lower Canadian Provinces. Probably averaged over 50,000 miles on each one except the 2015 only towed it about 20,000. So no never had time to experience any issues.

Actually started in 1973 with a used Starcraft pop-up
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Those items that failed shouldn’t have failed and you should have them fixed under warranty. Honestly, this is a dealer issue. Dealers are supposed to deal with the manufacturer not you. When you find yourself dealing directly with Jayco then your dealer is not properly representing you. If you are forced to call Jayco directly, bitch at them about the dealer and how your issues are not being properly dealt with, BY THE DEALER.

To Jayco or any manufacturer, the dealer screwing up is far more damaging than one customer going around the dealer, directly to the manufacturer.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #11

That's a lot of issue on a 2018! I agree warranty is as good as the dealer, dealer would say TT as good as the builder that builds them!
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #12

Do you really think spending the time to not only find this forum, sign up and post is going to get your RV repaired? Maybe taking a few hours and your tools and fixing your RV to your standards would get you further.

I know Jayco's sales is not impressive to you, but, they do have the #1 selling line for what, 10 years straight? Who else offers a 2 year warranty? What other mfg offers a better unit for the same $$ ? I assume your aware most RV's are not designed for full time living, and that is stated in the owners manual. They are "recreational vehicles". They are not built for full time, furniture, floors and other items are not the same as in a stick and brick home.

A board going out on your heater is not a Jayco issue.. almost every mfg uses the same appliances, from outside vendors. Is your home builder responsible for your hot water tank or furnance? Take a few minutes and add a few screws to your bunk and you may not only be happier with your RV, but you may actually enjoy working on it, most of us do. Delays at your dealer? Perhaps we, as a society, shouldn't look down on people who work with their hands or feel if you don't have a college degree your "low class". Maybe then we would be able to recruit and train workers who want to make good money working with their hands

Not everyone is going to be happy with an RV, expectations can run very high..not reality. Drag your stick and brick down the road and see how it holds together.

Good luck with your RV, if this is the hill you want to die on, go for it.. the vast majority of Jayco owners, on this forum, would make the same purchase again, and many of us have. JMHO

Is it spring and camping season yet?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Do you really think spending the time to not only find this forum, sign up and post is going to get your RV repaired?
I think most people realize that's not going to help them. But sometimes people just need to vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Is it spring and camping season yet?
Winter hasn't even officially started yet...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

We are leaving tomorrow to go camping. My last three rigs have all been Jayco's and that has covered only the last 20 years. We go camping at least once a month. Yes, I have had problems, this one, an Eagle 5th wheeler had major problems out the door. But my dealer stepped up and had me fixed up the same day I brought it in. I have had that rig going on 4 years now and little problems pop up that I have fixed myself and a few larger problems that I have a mobile tech come to my house to fix. But all in all, after dragging this rig over all kinds of roads, I am very happy with my Jayco products. I have been camping since the early 70's and of all the rigs I have owned, Jayco is by far the best in quality.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #15

Well after this post and another call to jayco they have finally decided to get a mobile service out. You can say these posts dont help but know that every company monitors its forums. Mobile service will be out in a week due to xmas holidays and what not. Which was not offered until todays phone call.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #16

It took 30 seconds to find the forum and 3 minutes to type my complaint. First phone call to jayco was 40 minutes on hold. Yes it was worth the effort to post. The subsequent 4 other phone calls with no result and similar wait times (1 was only 15 minutes wait time), were just as useless.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Well after this post and another call to jayco they have finally decided to get a mobile service out. You can say these posts dont help but know that every company monitors its forums. Mobile service will be out in a week due to xmas holidays and what not. Which was not offered until todays phone call.
Except this is not monitored by JAYCO and is not connected to the company in anyway.

Glad you got resolution and getting JAYCO to authorize a mobile tech is not out of the ordinary. You will find many posts where they readily provided that service.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #18

#1 All campers are cheaply made. Jayco rates their bunks for 600 lbs, you should see how low other manufacturers rate them.

#2 A Jayco travel trailer is not designed for full time living. On top of that, you bought the lower end Jayflight, the SLX line. Living in a light duty trailer full time will expose it to much more wear and tear than it was designed to handle, and you WILL have failures. Buying the absolute wrong tool and then blaming the tool is laughable.

#3 Issues with third party components, such as the circuit board for the water heater, are specifically the problem of the manufacturer of the component, not Jayco.

#4 It sounds like Jayco is fixing everything... isn't that what you want as a consumer? Sounds like a Jayco WIN to me... In fact, not only are they fixing it, they aren't making you wait your turn in line, they are expediting it for you. They are even sending a mobile tech to your location. I have friends that have other brands and all sorts of issues... they aren't getting nearly the level of service that you are receiving.

Maybe in the future you will buy the right tool for the job (like an actual mobile home or full timing rig if you plan to live for an extended period of time) rather than buying the flimsiest option that Jayco makes having irrational expectations. I've had my Jayco for 4 years now and it has been great. I had some issues that were quickly handled under warranty by my dealer with no problems from Jayco. My rig has been stress free ever since.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #19

My '17, 26BH was 18k out the door brand new with a WDH. One of the issues with mine, was the queen bed was severely under built. I weigh 158, and my wife (Snorezilla) sleeps in the back bunk, so it had very little weight on it and basically, fell apart. On the one hand, it shouldn't have fallen apart, but on the other hand, for what I paid, it seems to be a good value and has allowed me to take extended vacations all over the southern United States.

The bed was certainly a warranty issue, but why would I hitch it up and leave it at the dealer's for an unknown period of time, just to have it restored to it's original condition? I replaced the 1 x 2 supports with 2 x 3's, and now it's just fine. I call that, keeping things in perspective.

If somebody buys an rv or trailer, and they're not handy...........
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #20

Quote:
No
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote