Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Top Seal on Slide Out Folding Inward

I got on my ladder to clean the top of our slide out before pulling it in and noticed that the rubber seal along the top was folded inward for about half it's length. It should be sloped outward to deflect the rain and debris that falls on it. I would think the act of sliding it out would push it outward. I had to get on the roof, lay down and move along the top edge, cleaning it with a towel and pulling out the debris as well as the rubber seal. I do need to get some cleaner for the rubber seals but the trailer is new (April 16) so they can't be stiff or brittle by now. Plan to get on the roof again and look it over but, having them folded inward and not out could let water get in behind it. Anyone seen this?
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #2

Yes, I have that problem with my slide but only for about 18" from rear corner. Mine is due to the slide roofing material having a ripple in it which restricts it from flipping outward as it extends. I have a slide cover so it's not a big deal but I try to remember to get on the 5' ladder and pull it out.
IMHO, take yours back to the dealer for warranty work.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #3

If I can't find an obvious reason for it I plan to take it back. Not something I want to let ride. You mentioned a slide out cover. I've read some posts about them. Do they work? Hard to install? Wondered if stuff would blow up under it and make it hard to clean under them or if they are worth the hassle.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:43 AM   #4

Suzhou, I think a nice Care Free slide out cover is a worthy investment. That is an extremely vulnerable part of the trailer. Your seals will stay lubed longer; they will also last longer. Your roof membrane material will stay clean and last longer, and you will have a lot less debris and water concern (also helps prevent water and debris from working their way into the coach). Have you tried cleaning the seals and then treating them with a conditioner/protectant? I use 303 Aerospace protectant on almost everything. If you can get the seal supple again, it may was back into place.

If not, you should take it while you have the warranty. If you can afford a cover, they are a sound purchase. We did not want to spend any more money after a very healthy down payment and new hitch purchase, but we bit the bullet and paid for the cover. The dealer ordered the match for our Care Free awning. Keep us posted.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

I got up on the ladder today and took a closer look. Midway along the slide out there were a couple of torn places in the black taping that goes along the top along the inside lip of the outside edge. Hard to describe but it's where the slide out roofing mat meets the metal framing along the top outside edge. A few screw heads were slightly exposed where it was torn. I tightened them down a bit then repaired the torn tape areas. A lot of sticky glue had gotten all over the top seal gasket as well as the slide seal that folds in and out. Cleaned that up and will monitor. It worked fine the few times I tested it. Will consider a cover but will first need to find out if mine can support it along the framing above the slide out opening. Seems not all can support it.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

Suz, that flappy thing you're seeing is just the "sweep."

It's purpose is to clear debris off the slide roof as you actuate the slide.

It is not intended to seal the unit.

The main seal is a rubber gasket that gets sandwiched between the slide and the main trailer wall.

No need to bring it back, it's likely functioning just fine.

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #7

Thanks ctbailey, it would make sense that it's not a seal. Just hate to see it tucked under when it should be sloping out when the slide out moves out. Plus, if it's tucked in and it rains, like it did on our last trip. all sorts of stuff is now up under the edge and a mess to clean out before I pull the slide in. When the slide is out I assume there is another seal on the inside edge that provides some level of closure? I didn't see one on the edge of the slideout inside the TT. Somewhere else?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #8

Suzhou - I totally agree with FeatherFam's comments. We got our slide cover so I wouldn't have to sweep off the top of the slide before I brought the slide in. Also thought it would help keep the sun's heat off the slide, which it does. The only negative I have about it is the high price that CW charged. Think is was a little under $500, and my slide only has the dinette table! Wow!

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

I've always found it interesting that almost all motorhomes have slide toppers and very few trailers do.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks ctbailey, it would make sense that it's not a seal. Just hate to see it tucked under when it should be sloping out when the slide out moves out. Plus, if it's tucked in and it rains, like it did on our last trip. all sorts of stuff is now up under the edge and a mess to clean out before I pull the slide in. When the slide is out I assume there is another seal on the inside edge that provides some level of closure? I didn't see one on the edge of the slideout inside the TT. Somewhere else?

Correct, the "actual seal" would be on the inside lip that makes contact with the trailer wall. It's akin to the same style door seal automobiles have when the passenger doors are closed... they compress a bit when shut.

The debris you speak of is something that must be cleaned out annually, but in-season minor debris isn't a huge problem. Certainly NOT a reason for campground acrobatics crawling over the roof. That kind of work is best done at home when you are calm, and have a good 8 foot ladder, and have a good washbucket and hose.

Crawling up there just prior to launch from a campsite is asking for trouble. (Checkout time, and the anxiety of the back haul put you in the wrong frame of mind.). If Rained the night prior, just open it back up at home.

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote