Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #1

Tow a Hummingbird 17RK with a 2017Toyota Highlander with tow package.

Enough of a tow vehicle?
Runultras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #2

Should be good. The RK comes in at about 2900lbs as I remember. You just have to do the math and manage what you are carrying. You don't want to be close to the limit. Also depends on where you are going too. But keep in mind that if you vehicle got more towing capacity the better it will be overall.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

What's the payload rating on your yellow door sticker?

What's the max rated tongue weight for the hitch?

You're going to likely see 425-500 lb. tongue weight on a 17RK and a loaded weight of around 3,700 lbs. GVWR is listed as 3,750 lbs. Listed dry weight on Jayco's website for the 17RK is 2,860 lbs., but after all the accessories were added ours arrived with a dry weight of 3,208 lbs.

We have ours loaded very minimally and our TW is 430 lbs. The TT weighed in at 3,700 lbs. loaded last time we took it over the scales, I expect to see that number come in a little lower tomorrow when we weigh it again. The way I had it originally loaded the TW was right at 500 lbs., since then I've removed some items that we don't use and got it down to 430 lbs.

Our '12 FJ pulls and stops surprisingly well with the TT and an Andersen 'No-Sway' WD hitch, but we were right at our max payload and TW rating so we couldn't take our kayaks or bikes with us on camping trips. We have to keep the transmission out of overdrive also. We added an auxiliary transmission cooler and a couple other items to make it more tow friendly. The FJ max tow weight rating is 5k lbs. & 500 lb. TW. The semis would push us around a little, but not too bad. I put airbags in the rear to help with squat, but didn't need them and have never aired them up past their minimum required pressure of 10 psig, that was a waste of money....

I definitely wouldn't want to take a cross country trip with the FJ, but I've read where some people do.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote