Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
memphis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 261
I would think the problem would be less to do with being in 4WD and more to do if the hubs are locked together. If you're vehicle automatically locks the hubs, I wouldn't rethink using it as you'll either get wheel hop or put undue stress on your driveline. If your hubs / transfer case is manually lockable, I would say go for it, in unlocked mode, for as long as you need the added traction.
__________________

__________________
'14 Jayco Seneca 37fs
20' Look Enclosed Trailer
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
olyelr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
I would think the problem would be less to do with being in 4WD and more to do if the hubs are locked together. If you're vehicle automatically locks the hubs, I wouldn't rethink using it as you'll either get wheel hop or put undue stress on your driveline. If your hubs / transfer case is manually lockable, I would say go for it, in unlocked mode, for as long as you need the added traction.
Well without the locking the hubs or transfer case, your not gonna get any added traction
__________________

__________________
2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 67
I would not tow in 4WD. 4WD is only for poor traction on slippery or loose surfaces. ie;grass, sand, dirt, gravel, snow, ice etc. Not to be used on hard surfaces, asphalt, concrete etc. Only where you have loss of traction.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
olyelr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyerPhyter View Post
I would not tow in 4WD. 4WD is only for poor traction on slippery or loose surfaces. ie;grass, sand, dirt, gravel, snow, ice etc. Not to be used on hard surfaces, asphalt, concrete etc. Only where you have loss of traction.
And you have never needed to tow in any of those circumstances?
__________________
2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
And you have never needed to tow in any of those circumstances?
Huh? Referring to my post, your question doesn't make sense.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: montreal
Posts: 567
as far as I know 4x4 auto is like 4x2 until a wheel spin faster than another...so tow, turn sharp, back up in 4x4 auto as much as you want.

4x4 high or 4x4 low is another ball game
__________________
Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS 2014

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: montreal
Posts: 567
from ford : <b>4A (Automatic Four-Wheel Drive)
• Set-and-forget function provides four-wheel-
drive capabilities when needed
• Under normal road conditions, most power is sent to the rear wheels
• As road conditions require, engine torque is sent to the front and/or rear wheels to help maintain optimum traction
• Setting is appropriate for any driving, whether on dry pavement or in adverse conditions
</b>
__________________
Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS 2014

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
olyelr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyerPhyter View Post
Huh? Referring to my post, your question doesn't make sense.


All those scenarios you say 4wd should only be used for... You have never towed in any of those scenarios?
__________________
2016 Jayflight 28BHBE Elite
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (4x4, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 gears).

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Paintinfool3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,272
I have towed in snow with 4 wheel engaged and didn't like it one bit but I was sort of stuck and had to get home
__________________

__________________
2011 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab Diesel , 2015 Jayco Eagle 338 rets
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.