Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Tow in 4x4?

My TV is a 2014 F150 SuperCrew with 3.5L V6, 3.31 axle ratio. Plenty of HP, torque and towing capacity for our TT which is 6,118lb including propane tanks (if the sticker is right) empty. Question - I cannot find anywhere in the ford manuals whether it is advised or not to tow in 4x4 auto mode. I know not in standard 4x4 mode. That is for off road only per the manual but, it says using 4x4 auto is fine for everyday and freeway driving, especially in bad weather. Are there any advantages or disadvantages/issue with driving in 4x4 auto when towing the trailer? I do put it in tow mode and I have factory installed trailer brakes/tow package.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
My TV is a 2014 F150 SuperCrew with 3.5L V6, 3.31 axle ratio. Plenty of HP, torque and towing capacity for our TT which is 6,118lb including propane tanks (if the sticker is right) empty. Question - I cannot find anywhere in the ford manuals whether it is advised or not to tow in 4x4 auto mode. I know not in standard 4x4 mode. That is for off road only per the manual but, it says using 4x4 auto is fine for everyday and freeway driving, especially in bad weather. Are there any advantages or disadvantages/issue with driving in 4x4 auto when towing the trailer? I do put it in tow mode and I have factory installed trailer brakes/tow package.
I have the 2010 F150 Supercab with 5.4L V8 and 3.55 rear end. My manual says DO NOT DRIVE IN 4X4 MODE on dry pavement, but I don't have the "Auto Mode" option.

Do you have the Tow/Haul selector on yours? That tries to optimize shift points for towing loads.

Frankly I think you want to avoid 4x4 unless you absolutely need it, like snow or mud. I can't think of any way it would help with towing on the highway under any normal conditions. It would have to be pretty bad before I'd want to do 4x4, and if it's that bad I sure wouldn't be towing!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:25 AM   #3

Myself, I would just use 2wd unless the weather/roads were a little iffy. IF I remember right, using the 4wd auto does cost a little more fuel mileage, at least it seemed to with our '10 Chevy 1500. That is one feature I do wish our HD had though when driving during the winter as I did like it. Oh well!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #4

I use 4WD when i am parking my trailer, but after im able to basically maintain a straight path. I have to push it up a slight incline, and it wrecks the transmission in 2WD.

Unless you are heading out into the bush for a hunting weekend, i wouldnt use it on dry pavement.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:40 AM   #5

I pulled my trailer the last 250 miles in from Florida in AWD, I don't think I'd have made it otherwise. I also found myself getting down to 35 mph on the interstate a few times.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I pulled my trailer the last 250 miles in from Florida in AWD, I don't think I'd have made it otherwise. I also found myself getting down to 35 mph on the interstate a few times.
Why? Florida, Interstate??? I could see using 4x4 if road conditions were bad, super wet, snowy, but if dry, I don't see the need for 4x4 at all.

Sent via Tapatalk
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
bap

Unless you have a All-Wheel drive vehicle, you shouldn't run a vehicle in 4-wheel drive on dry pavement. It puts unnecessary strain and wear on drive train parts. If your truck has auto 4-wheel drive, you should put it in 2-wheel drive when weather is good and there is no chance of any slippery conditions. 4WD vehicles don't have an extra differential in the drive train that splits the power like AWD vehicles do. 4WD vehicles in 4WD put power equally to front and rear axle. AWD vehicles have a differential in the transfer case that splits the power to front and rear axles as needed and compensates the amount sent to each axle as turns are made so there is no binding in turns.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

1st 4x4 is NOT to be used on dry, hard pavement. AWD is a whole other system that can be used on dry, hard pavement.

IMO, if conditions are so bad that 4x4 must be engaged, one should NOT be trailering!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
Why? Florida, Interstate??? I could see using 4x4 if road conditions were bad, super wet, snowy, but if dry, I don't see the need for 4x4 at all.

Sent via Tapatalk
Solid ice and snow from around Murfreesboro, TN all the way to my home in Marion, IL.
Rest areas full, everything full, no where to pull off and stop. I was coasting over bridges, they were solid ice and saw several vehicles in the median that lost it on the bridges.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have tow mode enabled so that it uses the different transmission shift ratios. So far that has been great. In the manual for my truck and transmission it says that 4x4 Auto is fine for everyday driving - hard pavement, freeway, city, etc. I don't normally leave it in that mode since it seems overkill. It does very specifically state that 4x4 standard (high or low) is NOT to be used for dry pavement or regular daily driving as it can damage the transmission. i think based on the replies I'll continue in 4x2 mode and reserve 4x4 Auto for maneuvering in tight spaces, bad weather driving, parking, backing up, etc.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

Generally a good plan. Use 4x4 only as needed.

However, I'd rethink using 4x4 when maneuvering in tight spaces.
When all 4 wheels are trying to turn at the same rate and the vehicle is describing a tight circle, parts of the driveline start to bind and the tires will jump and skip. It gets a bit unnerving.

If things are a bit slippery (backing a TT or 5'er) onto a grassy site, 4x4 may be required. But if the tow is still on the gravel or paved approach, let the front tires rotate freely. The rig will be just a bit more responsive. It's all trade-offs that you'll have to choose on a moment-by-moment basis.

And proud of it!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #12

I use the 4 wheel drive driving the last 6 miles up to the lake where I am going this week, very long hill, and rough road, It is a heavy haul going up the road. with the trailer full of water, We learned a few years back to put it in 4 wheel, it is much easier on the truck.
( ONE MORE SLEEP)
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 036.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
I use the 4 wheel drive driving the last 6 miles up to the lake where I am going this week, very long hill, and rough road, It is a heavy haul going up the road. with the trailer full of water, We learned a few years back to put it in 4 wheel, it is much easier on the truck.
( ONE MORE SLEEP)
Our last mile is a twisty, narrow dirt road with very little elevation changes. I have to pull the brake controller because the trailer's brakes will lock going down 1 particular, very soft, dip. 4x4? No. White knuckled worry someone will be coming the other direction? LOTS!

And proud of it!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #14

Using an auto 4wd system will be of no concern while trailering. I could see it being very beneficial in certain driving scenarios (snow/ice etc.), but probably would be of no real benefit on dry roads.

Heck, i have used normal 4wd at higway speeds for years with no issues at all. Towing or not, it really doesnt matter.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #15

We've had four Expeditions over the years. The first three had 2WD, AWD (all wheel drive) and 4WD. In the newest one Ford has changed the wording from AWD to 4WD auto. I think that is confusing to some. Either way, that position is not 4WD, it simply transfers power to whichever of the four tires has traction. I see no reason not to tow in that mode, especially if you are on a slippery road. (I can't imagine why it would help you park under dry road conditions.)

Regular 4WD is only slightly better without locking hubs. A couple years ago after returning from wintering in AZ I pulled into our open-ended trailer barn using 4WD. As the TV began to exit the barn the front wheels his ice, one tire slipped and caused the trailer to move to the right slightly as the TV twisted. I climbed out, manually turned the locking mechanisms on both wheels, and the truck then pulled straight forward.

You can purchase locking hubs if your vehicle did not come with them. My Expeditions didn't, but I installed them on a couple of them. Just Google 4WD locking hubs. The truck came with them.

I'm no mechanic, so I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I've been an amateur mechanic for 40+ years and I can safely say you are never wrong when talking about the various names and systems automakers have come up with.

4WD, AWD, 4x4, Real Time, 4Matic, etc., ad nausium.

I've operated trucks with automatic front hubs (sucks!), manual hubs (gotta remember beforehand or step out into the mud) and manually lockable automatic (great idea, doesn't work).

An XUV I bought for my (now ex-)wife was front wheel drive with a fluid clutch to a driveshaft and rear differential. Some power always went to the rear wheels. When the ABS computer detected wheel slip, the clutch would close and the power would be split 50/50 for about 30 seconds (longer if the slipping continued). No user control whatsoever.

And proud of it!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
You can purchase locking hubs if your vehicle did not come with them. My Expeditions didn't, but I installed them on a couple of them. Just Google 4WD locking hubs. The truck came with them.

I have not researched purchasing locking hubs for any other vehicles than what I have owned, so I cant say for sure... but I highly doubt ANY vehicle can be converted (easily, anyway) to having locking hubs. There are several kits out there that area available, though. Dodge trucks have kits, I know that for sure. Not sure about chevy's, though, or any other brand SUV. Ford Super Duty's still come with them.

What I will say, though, is adding locking hubs does not really change the function of the 4wd system. Just because you now have hubs to lock, does not mean both front tires will spin at all times or the 4wd system will work better/differently. What it basically means is you can fully unlock your axles/driveline when in 2wd. For instance, my '12 Jeep did not have manual hubs, nor a center axle disconnect, so the front axles and driveshaft always spin when the vehicle is in motion, even in 2wd. That is one of the main benefits of having manual hubs, as the front driveline can be fully disconnected in 2wd (typically gain a bit more MPG).

And you are correct about the AWD or "auto 4WD". It is perfectly fine using them at highway speeds on dry pavement, as they allow some differential in the system (where true 4WD does not).

Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #18

I only tow in 2wd, bit if I had to I would use 4x4 high if needed. I have parked many times using 4x4 low gear. Been thinking about using to back into my cement driveway.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I only tow in 2wd, bit if I had to I would use 4x4 high if needed. I have parked many times using 4x4 low gear. Been thinking about using to back into my cement driveway.

As long as you dont have to do much turning that would be just fine. Actually, it probably would be better on the trans, if there is a steep hill.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #20

Some wheel slip is required to activate the 4wd and it's often enough slip to throw you off your line. I prefer to go 4hi if I couldn't get where I was going in 2hi. For example, parking in grass and trying to roll the TT up on blocks, pulling my RV uphill on my wet lawn to it's regular parking spot, etc.

Many people with 4auto can't get up my driveway in snow or ice (they slip sideways before it engages) but 4hi is a cakewalk.