Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Tow question

I'm hoping to get some feedback regarding the 'see-saw' action I feel while towing over dips in the road or RR crossings. Although fun it does send my heart racing a little bit seeing as I'm totally new to towing a TT. Is a little bit to be expected? I think I might have an issue with my hitch mount not getting my ball up high enough according to Blue Ox manual; I'm out maybe 1" to 1-1/2". The rig does sit pretty level, but I'm outside of the variances regarding front and rear wheelwell drop that is stated in the manual for the WD.
2010 Jayco 26BH, Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Cont.
1 teenager that won't leave home & 2 dogs.
Arrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #2

I used to pull our popup with a Chrysler Town & Country, one that didn't have a tow package and felt the same sensation! Looking at the 2008 Ford Towing Capacity webpage, I would say that you may coming up to the limits of your vehicle's towing capacity. While you will get some see-sawing, it shouldn't be excessive if it's all loaded correctly. I'm not pro, it took me a few trips to figure out the best way to load both the vehicle and the trailer.

Of course, after a summer with the van, I went out and got a new F150 Supercrew 5.4 v8 with max tow package - that seemed to do the trick for me :-)
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

Arrow1,

Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forum. There are hitch balls available that raise your trailer without raising the hitch itself. You can get heavy duty ones through a Jayco dealer or other sources. These balls have bases that are 1-3 inches higher than a standard ball, effectively raising the height of your trailer. You may also want to increase the tension on your equalizer bars as this will effectively raise both the rear of your tow vehicle and your trailer tongue.

Good luck with future towing.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the input guys. Darrin I think I'm OK for weight rating on my truck...max trailer wgt is 7k. Trailer dry is around 4500# and no way are we going to load 2500# of gear into it. Sam, thats what I think will be my solution. Just need to find a ball with a high enough rise to get the trailer tongue higher above my bars. Right now I'm as high as I can go for chain links before they will ride into trailer tongue on tight turns any higher. The shakedown trip was a pretty decent ride.....no sway and nothing scary about the see-sawing. But one more link up on the bars would be almost perfect I think.
2010 Jayco 26BH, Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Cont.
1 teenager that won't leave home & 2 dogs.
Arrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Everyone has to learn through experiance as long it doesn't have an adverse affect on others.