Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs116 View Post
...If I did crash my weight is under the 16k. I weighed my truck at work at 5800...
That's not necessarily true. For example, My GMC 2500HD has a GVWR of 9,200 pounds and I can tow a trailer up to 13,600 pounds which gives me a maximum GCWR of 22,800 pounds.

However, my trailer has a GTWR of 8,500 pounds. When I add this number to the truck's GVWR, 9,200 pounds, my maximum legal GCWR becomes 17,700 pounds. If I exceed ANY of the three numbers above, I'm overweight; and those are the numbers the insurance company and law enforcement is going to look at if they suspect you were overweight at the time of the accident.

As you can see, I'm "out of gas" (or diesel, in my case) long before I reach the the 22,800 pounds due to the maximum weight limitations imposed by the manufacturers of the truck and trailer. If you exceed these numbers, you will put yourself, your passengers and innocent bystanders at risk.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #22

I understand the inclination to test limits, but if you've seen the carnage I have that occurs when a truck and its load loses control, you wouldn't expose your family to that risk quite so quickly. I don't mean to scold, but I'm really about done with all this high math to convince us that we're in the zone. Again, go to the diesel forums. Folks with 250s and one tons are gauging up, adding coolers, putting on exhaust brakes, and generally making sure they're doing all they can to protect themselves and their investments at weights you're talking about. Not to be harsh, but the fact you mentioned the dealer giving you the okay is reason enough for further caution on your part.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #23

I really dont see the issue here. Looks to me like his numbers check out. I say tow with it. If the vehicle feels taxed, you will know it pretty quickly. If you need a new TV the new f150's are rated at 11,300 lbs with the 3.5 turbo or the 6.2 v8. Check it out.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #24

Yea Ok

FYI,
The Tundra Braking systems are larger than Fords F250 and 350 , Chevy 2500etc... Excursion is not that much larger than the Tundra the brakes are smaller, . The Tundra already came equiped with with the Tranny Cooler etc... The numbers are below towing limits I won't be overweight. I will tow it and see if the vehicle handles well. If that is the case I will roll with it. If not I will Grab a new TV. I just love the Tundra and hate to cut it loose.

Tundra's have been given so many upgrades, It's a shame the Ford owners have to upgrade there trucks, you would think that if you bought a F250 it would have larger brakes than a Tundra or others but nope, they Chince, when I was shopping for Trucks it was one of the reasons I didn't buy one... It's one of the many reasons there business is suffering. Instead of just simply offering the right equipment first...

People are negative, I can appreciate the words of caution, but the numbers are ok & safe/legal and yet still I get stuff like my Excursion is bettter than your truck...Stop It already...C'mon already...It's Funny I couldn't find the 2011 Ford Excursion on the Ford Lot last year when I was Buying Trucks...

Thanks but no Thanks... People show off all for the wrong reasons...
bulldogs116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #25

In your first post you did ask for opinions.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
Site Team

Let's do some fast figuring and see what some of the numbers say.

The 2011 Jayco 33LRDS (Source of information- Jayco, Inc):
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.) 9,925
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 955
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.) 9,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs.) 2,025

2008 SR5 CrewMax Cab (5.7L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic 5.6 ft. Bed) (Source of information- (www.edmunds.com):
Maximum towing capacity: 10100 lbs.
Maximum payload: 1515 lbs.
Gross weight: 7200 lbs.
Curb weight: 5685 lbs.

Now, The Technical Stuff:
Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR) 9,950
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 955
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) 7200 lbs.
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GTWR + GVWR = GCWR) 17,300

Everything looks pretty cool, so far. But here's where you could get into get into weight trouble (being overloaded) with your truck.

Your maximum payload is 1,515 pounds and you're going to hookup a trailer with a 955 pound dry weight on the back. I can assure you that the hitch weight will be 1,000 or more by the time you leave for your maiden voyage. But, for the sake of example (and ease of math), let's say 1,000. However, I think in actuality it's going to be more. You, yourself, even mentioned in a previous post that you estimated another 1,000-1,500 pounds being added to the trailer so the number I'm using is very conservative to say the least.

You now have only 515 pounds left before you exceed the GVWR of your truck. Do you really think you can add people, equipment, pets, etc and not exceed that limit? Remember, the driver's weight of 150 pounds has already been accounted for when the payload was calculated, but if you weigh other than 150, you have to add/subtract the difference to the payload. In a previous post you mentioned that you weighed your truck and it was 5,800. If so, then that lowers your remaining weight to just 400 pounds; not much "wiggle room" there.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #27

If you knew you were okay, why ask if you were? Just leave it that you want to hear from those who are already doing it.
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #28

Brought Home the Jayco G2 in the Tundra Today...

I want to thank you all for the advice etc... We went to the Dealer today in PA and had the Truck worked on Install etc...Brake controller and Reese Dual cam WD system. I had a few extra items installed. Handed them the check and after a really thorough walk thru we went on a test drive...

The Tundra was nice and steady, the WD system really does it's job, I must say its worth the money. After that, Away we were. The truck pulled good and the brakes are smooth & steady. The truck sits level and drives good. Of Course, I was a nervous of having somebody drive thru the rear of it... I took it to a Mall around my house with some cones and practiced parking and backing up for awhile before driving home. I was able to back in my driveway as I feared I may not be able too,, due to the slope/angle etc...

The trailer weighs 7,945 unloaded...I learned from my previous Winnebago M.H. I am not loading this TT as heavy, I figure I will load about 500-650 lbs worth of clothes, coffee machine and the related. Plastic plates this time not real dinner wear and a full silverware set. I plant to keep the trailer around 8500#'s.

Picked up a Yamaha Generator for the occasional Dry camping, I love Penn State Football games so this will come in handy a few times a year...

All in All, I have to say my experience at the Dealer was awesome. Better than buying a car. They were not pushy, I did buy an extended warranty for 5 years, but they were not forcing it. The SERVICE DEPT. was outstanding. they explained everything and a few things I noticed they fixed or moved right then. I really enjoyed them answering my questions and they took all the time I needed. They understood my concerns for my truck and explained they would not put me on the street if it was not legal or road ready. The service manager even went online last week pulled my numbers & the trailer numbers and put it on a worksheet for me... I really thought that was nice of him to give me a little confidence... Anyways, thanks again and we can't wait to get out and do some real camping and skip the driveway camping but it will do for now...

Take care fella's...
bulldogs116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #29
Site Team

OOPS! I just noticed in my last posting that the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.) for the 2011 Jayco 33LRDS is incorrect. It should have been 7,925 pounds, not 9,925.

This error had no effect on my calculations as dry weights for RVs are calculated without any optional features installed. Since the majority of units are never ordered this way, this number is generally meaningless and, therefore, not used. Bulldogs116 says that his new Jayco weighed in at 7,945 (Congrats on the new trailer) which is close to what Jayco specified, but still more (as I expected).

I'd be curious to see what the "numbers" the service manager gave you on the spreadsheet look like when compared to mine.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #30

You can do it, but your tranny won't last and like the others said, it ain't can you tow it, its can you stop it! And by the way your yota is probably more American than our fords and chevys! Gotta have load levelers and sway bars too!
mhenry5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #31

I say give it a try and see how you like the tow experience. There is no other choice for you, right from the beginning post you seem very biased to towing with anything other than your Tundra.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #32

I wonder how Bulldogs is doing with the Tundra and trailer. Anybody know
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #33

You may be interested in another topic I read this morning on this forum telling about an F150 with the new 6 cyl. pulling 9500# cross country. And the new models are going to have even MORE gross weighting. Guess I'll turn my dually in and get me a Ford Focus. Do you think I'll need a WD to pull my 9000# with it??
'14 Denali XL
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk+ View Post
You may be interested in another topic I read this morning on this forum telling about an F150 with the new 6 cyl. pulling 9500# cross country. And the new models are going to have even MORE gross weighting. Guess I'll turn my dually in and get me a Ford Focus. Do you think I'll need a WD to pull my 9000# with it??
I would keep my dually. The jury is still out on the new engines, time will tell.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #35

I think you will SERIOUSLY want to look into your wheel / tire combination. 22 inch lo-pros are not exactly the ideal towing set. You may have done alright on your test drive, but double check those tires' capacities. Good luck.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote