Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Tow Question Opionion's

Yes or NO,

Can I tow a Jayco 33rlds with my Toyota Tundra Crew Max 2008. It has the TRD off road package with upgraded suspension. The dealer says yes, The numbers are below the towing capacities for my truck. I can buy a new truck if needed, but I love my Tundra for many reasons. I am over the whole non american thing. I have owned the other big 3 and I can say without question for the money the Tundra is preferred. Anyways, anybody doing this already I would love to hear from. 5 take delivery of my Trailer in a couple weeks from dealer. Just having some extras done to it...

Take care,

[I]"Remember, You can never be late camping, you can never do a bad job camping, and camping never wants you to stay later and work harder."[/I]

bulldogs116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #2

[QUOTE=bulldogs116;12744]Yes or NO,

Can I tow a Jayco 33rlds with my Toyota Tundra Crew Max 2008. It has the TRD off road package with upgraded suspension. The dealer says yes, The numbers are below the towing capacities for my truck. I can buy a new truck if needed, but I love my Tundra for many reasons. I am over the whole non american thing. I have owned the other big 3 and I can say without question for the money the Tundra is preferred. Anyways, anybody doing this already I would love to hear from. 5 take delivery of my Trailer in a couple weeks from dealer. Just having some extras done to it...

No. Unless I missed something, the trailer has a GVWR of 9950 loaded. Your Toyota Tundra has a max towing capacity of 9000 lbs. That's a half ton overloaded. Unless I read the specs wrong somewhere.

Tom

altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs116 View Post
...The dealer says yes, ...
Sorry, but you made the cardinal sin of listening to the dealer. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, believe anything the dealer tells you regarding whether your TV will be able to tow something. The majority of them will say anything just to make a sale. If you check other RV forums (like irv2.com for example) you'll find many postings warning of the same. Remember, the salesman won't be driving that combination... YOU will.

Be dilligent, do your own research, get the facts and be sure!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Team

You did not give any specs for your truck, but that`s a whole lottttaaa Trailer for a half ton. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #5

We tow a 28BHS with our 2010 Tundra w/ Tow package but I don't think we would go any larger...with the tow package we can pull @10,000 # , looks like your might be too much weight for the truck. But I do agree, we really love the Tundra! Good luck!
CTcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You did not give any specs for your truck, but that`s a whole lottttaaa Trailer for a half ton. -Lee
I agree...

Some of the things you have to remember its not so much of it can pull it but can it stop it? Remember the TV had design limits on axle, brakes, and other parts.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

GVWR is 9950lbs. if you load it to capacity, that puts you 1000lbs over towing capacity if your TC is 9000lbs. You have almost 1000lbs of tongue weight, and that's going to go up when you load the passthrough with gear. That tongue weight has to be added to the weight of wife, kids and whatever you throw in the bed of the truck. So, you are way over on both towing capacity and truck payload capacity and you haven't loaded anything in the trailer yet. I think you were had by a salesman. Now to your original question. Can you pull it? Probably. I talked to a guy in a state park that was pulling 11,000 lbs with a Tundra loaded with wife and three kids. I wouldn't do it, but it's really your call. You at least have the information to know what you are going to have to deal with, and it probably won't be a fun(or very safe) drive.

Good Luck with it..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

If you go to http://www.rv.net and post your question you will have pro and con comments for days.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If you go to http://www.rv.net and post your question you will have pro and con comments for days.
Yer so right. The weight police would be out in force on this one though! -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #10

I own a 33rlds and tow it with a Ford Excursion, tows the trailer fine but the Excursion is much bigger than the Toyota and has 1 ton drivelines front and back. Ernie

Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote