Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #21

If the shocks are the original ones, IMO they needed replacement long ago!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #22

Air bags usually mean a rough ride, not towing. My 2008 Tundra CrewMax has Firestone Airbags and they are the best. Unloaded I set them to 5 PSI as recommended. I have an SR5 with the factory tow package, so it’s not you’re typical 1/2 ton ride to begin with. It’s closer (but not quite) a 3/4 ton ride before the air bags. Air bags make constant contact which is best for towing, but make for a rough ride when not towing.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:18 AM   #23

Firestone Airbags on my Taco.
Worked great with my Slide On and even better with my towable.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB View Post
I guess I’m the odd ball here because I recently installed the AirLift 5000 airbags on my F-250 and aren’t happy with them at all. It took away the decent ride my truck had while solo and seems to be aiding my TT in beating us to death going down the road. I realize at 11,000lbs, my 2015 Eagle is nearing the top limits of my truck, but I expect better control and ride. I think the stiffness of the bags offsets any dampening the leaf springs might help with. Not trying to offend anyone with this post. It’s just MY opinion. At this point, I’m thinking about removing the air bags. I’ll try a few more adjustments first.
How much pressure are you running? Any WDH?
Kurtomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #25

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags

I installed the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (model 2701, less than $500) on my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500. Took about 2hrs. to install & no drilling. We pull a 43' 5th-wheel and it made both the loaded (no squatting) & unloaded ride so much smoother.
Bthorntonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #26

Quote:
I guess I’m the odd ball here because I recently installed the AirLift 5000 airbags on my F-250 and aren’t happy with them at all. It took away the decent ride my truck had while solo and seems to be aiding my TT in beating us to death going down the road. I realize at 11,000lbs, my 2015 Eagle is nearing the top limits of my truck, but I expect better control and ride. I think the stiffness of the bags offsets any dampening the leaf springs might help with. Not trying to offend anyone with this post. It’s just MY opinion. At this point, I’m thinking about removing the air bags. I’ll try a few more adjustments first.
I removed my airbags couldn't stand the ride.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech109 View Post
Hi I own a 2017 GMC sierra and just wanted some feed back on whether to install air bags or have helper springs put in . I tow a 2017 Jayco White Hawk 24RKS and would like a little more support when towing . Thanks for your input.
Do you have weight distribution on camper. Doesn't seem like a lot of camper for that truck.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #28

Had the Timbrens on originally but ride was slightly stiff when under load. Replaced them with firestone airbags and leveled the ride and much more comfortable.
Dondevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If the shocks are the original ones, IMO they needed replacement long ago!
especially if they were the junk ranchos they used.. those were bad from day one... upgrade to the RX9000xl adjustables... the only way to go.. you have saved enough money they have a deal now you can get them from summit and a $100 rebate if you spend $500 ... which you will most likely do for 4...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #30
DKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtomac View Post
How much pressure are you running? Any WDH?
WDH is a Reese (I believe) with sway bar. I’m still experimenting with pressure but 60 psi brings the truck level back to normal ride height and putting WDH on the third link. Height wise, this is perfect but the stiffness in the bags makes it jar the truck badly. Next time out I’m dropping the PSI to around 30 and putting WDH on the fourth link. This levels TV and TT also. Hopefully it’s better. When running solo, I drop to 2 PSI. Yea, I know it’s below recommended but it makes it some better.

BTW sorry to Tech109 for hijacking your thread.
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #31

Good luck as you can see how many different opinions populated already. What do you need them for specifically? Porpoising, sagging rear, sway control, 1/2 ton PU I assume. How much tongue weight do you have?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #32

I have a 2014 Silverado 2wd with a Curt Hitch. It levels up just fine and added sway bars work well. Are you sure you need more?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #33

I would first use an equalizer hitch a d be sure it installed properly, that is trailer level and that both the front and back of the truck goes down an equal amt.

After that is down evaluated whether you need to do anything with the truck suspension. I installed Trimben bump stops on my Durango to reduce body roll. Larry
Old 08-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #34

We added Firestone air bags to our 2011 F250 Short Bed, in addition to an anti-sway bar. Neither of which came on the truck. The bags worked very well. We ran the air hoses out to the license plate attachment screws so they were most convenient. A parts store 12V air compressor was all we needed to air them up. Our Tongue weight was 4500 lbs. on the Jayco Pinnacle
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #35

Are you using a Weight Distribution Hitch?
After watching some videos on Youtube about the difference in bags, springs and WDH, its pretty clear that the WDH is the best solution.
Bags lift the back, but don't change the weight distribution and in most cases forces MORE weight on the vehicle.

That is a pretty good video where they measure the actual weight on each axle.

Watch in and you tell me what you think. I thought I wanted Air bags until I did some research.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle Pete View Post
We added Firestone air bags to our 2011 F250 Short Bed, in addition to an anti-sway bar. Neither of which came on the truck. The bags worked very well. We ran the air hoses out to the license plate attachment screws so they were most convenient. A parts store 12V air compressor was all we needed to air them up. Our Tongue weight was 4500 lbs. on the Jayco Pinnacle
4500 lbs tongue weight?!?!?!

I had Timbrens on my Frontier pulling the '04 21FB, close to 5,500 loaded and with the WDH it sat dead level and handled very well. LT tires help considerably when towing too.
Nearly 3 years ago upgraded to a '15 Titan with the tow package; mirrors, hitch and a 9,300 lb rating with a higher ratio diff and tow mode for optimal transmission shifting/cooling.
However with the Titan's higher stance and rather soft rear suspension I have not been able to get the squat out of it.
I installed Timbrens on it last week and have not noticed any kind of ride degradation since. I run 45 lbs pressure in the tires, LT Duratracs, and even though the Timbrens sit only about a half inch below the frame they don't kick back like the ones on the Frontier did unloaded. Either Timbren has reengineered the rate of compression or my weight alone is putting the frame onto the Timbrens (unlikely though I'm only 210 lbs well forward of the rear suspension).
I haven't taken the trailer out with them on yet but considering how well they worked with the smaller Frontier I'm thinking they should do the trick.
The initial cost is roughly half that of air bags and I'll never "have a flat" so to speak. Will report back when I get the trailer hooked up and WDH readjusted.
Mach1tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #37

Quote:
WDH is a Reese (I believe) with sway bar. I’m still experimenting with pressure but 60 psi brings the truck level back to normal ride height and putting WDH on the third link. Height wise, this is perfect but the stiffness in the bags makes it jar the truck badly. Next time out I’m dropping the PSI to around 30 and putting WDH on the fourth link. This levels TV and TT also. Hopefully it’s better. When running solo, I drop to 2 PSI. Yea, I know it’s below recommended but it makes it some better.

BTW sorry to Tech109 for hijacking your thread.
I think you’re on the right track there. I can imagine 60psi in the bags beating you up as that’s not that big of a load. My truck was squatting a little over 2” with my last setup and when hooking up my WDH it took about an inch of squat out. I’m going to treat my bags as the helper springs that they are and try to reduce the sag a little. Let the WDH also work on finishing the ride height correction while also getting the weight back to the front wheels. I need to get to the scales
Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #38

And for the guys saying their truck rides like **** empty? Are you guys using the 5psi recommended pressure or leaving it at towing pressure. I haven’t really noticed a difference in ride empty with 5psi in them
Old 08-23-2018, 03:47 AM   #39

I saw this video as well. My thoughts are...what’s the difference in air bags and different leaf springs...nothing really they both help with the load. If you’re taking all the squat out with bags I can see how its not allowing the wdh to do its thing. I got the bags to give my springs the little bit of help they need and the wdh to finish the job and bring weight back to the front axle

I also feel like bags do a better job of helping with the porpoiseing I get when my springs are near their max load even with WDH hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTraveler View Post
Are you using a Weight Distribution Hitch?
After watching some videos on Youtube about the difference in bags, springs and WDH, its pretty clear that the WDH is the best solution.
Bags lift the back, but don't change the weight distribution and in most cases forces MORE weight on the vehicle.

That is a pretty good video where they measure the actual weight on each axle.

Watch in and you tell me what you think. I thought I wanted Air bags until I did some research.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1tosh View Post
4500 lbs tongue weight?!?!?!

I had Timbrens on my Frontier pulling the '04 21FB, close to 5,500 loaded and with the WDH it sat dead level and handled very well. LT tires help considerably when towing too.
Nearly 3 years ago upgraded to a '15 Titan with the tow package; mirrors, hitch and a 9,300 lb rating with a higher ratio diff and tow mode for optimal transmission shifting/cooling.
However with the Titan's higher stance and rather soft rear suspension I have not been able to get the squat out of it.
I installed Timbrens on it last week and have not noticed any kind of ride degradation since. I run 45 lbs pressure in the tires, LT Duratracs, and even though the Timbrens sit only about a half inch below the frame they don't kick back like the ones on the Frontier did unloaded. Either Timbren has reengineered the rate of compression or my weight alone is putting the frame onto the Timbrens (unlikely though I'm only 210 lbs well forward of the rear suspension).
I haven't taken the trailer out with them on yet but considering how well they worked with the smaller Frontier I'm thinking they should do the trick.
The initial cost is roughly half that of air bags and I'll never "have a flat" so to speak. Will report back when I get the trailer hooked up and WDH readjusted.
I put Timbrens on my Titan too and loved them. We opted to trade the truck in since when loaded I was about 800lbs over the capacity of the truck and that made me nervous. And that was hauling no water in the TT.

The truck towed super smooth with the Timbrens. Zero sway, no bounce, it was rock solid. I just didn't like being loaded to the max. I was shocked at the weight when I hit the CAT scale.

Funny that the truck we bought (2012 F250) had airbags already installed. So far I just can't seem to buy off on them. Setting up the WD I put 20lbs of air in the bags and then set the hitch to bring the front back to level. Seems to ride ok but knowing that airbags don't do what a good WD hitch does makes them almost useless to me. Right now I just use them like a helper spring to take some of the load but the WD hitch is doing all the real work.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote