Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #21
Site Team

As per the door sticker, I run 60 psi front and 45 psi rear empty on my '07 Ram 2500. Loaded heavy 60 psi front and 70 psi rear. Tires are 265/70/17 load range E.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #22

Based on my experience, and what the Calif Highway Patrol recommends, I would never run P rated tires on a tow vehicle. They would always be LT tires 8 ply or greater, E rated. Speed rating doesn't matter, because you're not racing anyway. Door sticker is by vehicle mfg, based on the tire size they install at the factory. If your tires are same size, and your vehicle is not towing, those are valid. If you fit larger tires, it's ok to be 5-10 psi lower than door sticker IF YOUR TRUCK IS UNLOADED AN NOT TOWING.

Once you add a load or hitch a trailer, the door sticker goes out the window. I always inflate(d) my truck tires within 5 psi of max on the sidewall when towing or carrying a load. Whatever pressure you choose, all tires should be within 1-2 psi of each other, if they are on the same axle.

With under-rated tires, or with too low of a tire pressure, or too flexible of a sidewall, a heavy load over-stresses and therefore over-heats your tires. Even just pulling a heavy load that isn't on the axle can overheat the rear tires because of the torque of the drive axle. Blowouts while pulling a trailer are just way too dangerous for you and for everyone else near you on the highway. And hot tires cause blowouts.

How do I define a heavy load??? Is it more than half of your towing capacity the manufacturer designed into your vehicle? Then it's a heavy load. Especially with amateurs like us at the wheel.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #23

LT Tires

I upgraded from P to LT tires on my tv and I called Michelin and asked what pressure they would recommend. THey said 50 PSI all the way around. It's made a huge difference in handling.
FashaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #24

I always go by the door jam.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #25

Towing I run 80 psi cold all the way around, TPMS shows tires at around 85-88 during hot summer driving, and they will be back at 80'the next morning on cold tires.

It has always worked well with me, never an issue, and i never have any sway and my hitch only provides weight distribution

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote