Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #1

Towing 287bhbe

We have a 2014 BHBE and have been towing with a 2010 1500 Silverado. We live in central Ohio but want to travel south and out west. This truck barely gets up hills in southern Ohio let alone the thought of KY,TN. We were going to downsize in trailer size but we LOVE this trailer. I am thinking of a new 2500 Diesel and just wondering thoughts. I see these monstrosity 5th wheelers coming at me on the highway and it blows me away. A stupid question I know but ya'll tow these travel trailer cross country easily ??

Satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #2

You will be amazed at the power of a diesel. Youíll fly up Jellico mountain like itís not even there. But donít waste your time getting a 2500. A 3500 will be the same ride and youíll have plenty of payload capacity left over.

bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:09 AM   #3

Thx Bearcat...You in Ohio ?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:09 AM   #4

If you're not afraid of "twofootitis" you might consider getting a 3/4T gasser. It'll do great in the flat-lands where you do most of your towing, and it is adequate in the mountains.

If you think you MIGHT upgrade the camper in the future, may as well get the truck for it now. LOTS of people get JUST enough truck, then end up upgrading their camper, then they have to upgrade the truck too, and on and on and on...

I moved from a 2012 Sierra 1500 to a Ram 2500 4x4 with 6.4L Hemi when we towed our 28BHBE and my only regret was getting the 3.73 instead of the 4.10 rear end. Towed my 28BHBE like a champ all over the place. It had over 3300 lbs of payload capacity, so I never worried about overloading it, and it took EVERYTHING I threw at it and never even stuttered. 4WD came in handy MANY times, especially out at the deer lease; hauled 250 gallon water totes up hill-country goat trails with ease.

Of course, nothing pulls like a diesel. And I agree, if you're going to go with a diesel, you may as well go with a 1T. The diesel motor costs a LOT of payload, and going up to the 3500 helps make that up.

I didn't get a diesel when it came time for a few reasons. I have a VERY short commute, and the truck was my daily driver. Diesels need to run hot for some time or you'll have problems. I also didn't want to pay the diesel premium (in purchase price or in fuel premium) at the time. We only towed about once every 6 weeks on average with one or two longer trips per year. So my usage pattern just didn't support having a diesel.

If I were full-time, or we traveled a lot more than we do, or I had a longer commute, or I had other things to tow/haul heavy, the decision would likely have been different. But for what I needed, the gas 3/4T was perfect.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #5

Awesome advice thank you
Old 07-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

We towed our 28BHBE for 1 year with an F150 with Max tow package. We felt it was just slightly too little truck for the size / weight of the camper so we went with an F250 gas engine. I couldn't justify the diesel expense for many of the same reasons Camper Bob already elaborated on. Either way our towing experience was GREATLY improved by the upgrade however the trade off is ride comfort...
CRE 3000 Equalizer / Wet Bolt Kit
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2016 Ford F250 6.2 Gasser
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #7

Yes, I am in the Cincinnati area.

And as far as the gasser goes, it would be adequate as well. I had a 2016 2500 and, while I couldnít really accelerate up big hills, it had no problem holding speed. I was still faster than the semis. That was pulling a 27BHS. So donít feel like you have to get a diesel. Just moving up to the bigger truck will give you a much better tow experience. We now pull a 14k fifth wheel, and the diesel is definitely worth it. I accelerate uphill and the engine doesnít sound like itís going to blow up. Plus, using truck fuel stations takes all the stress out of refueling on long trips. I just keep an eye on the diesel particulate filter and give it a good highway run when itís time.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #8

Awesome thanks Bearcat..Should have known from handle a Cinci alum
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

I tow a 2014 28bhbe. unloaded camper weight is 7100 lbs and we are usually about 8500 lbs loaded up. I tow with a 2005 2500 suburban with 8.1 3.73 rear. We live in indiana so same situation as you. The burb tows it great. We have a hensley hitch and in the flats it stays in overdrive (4th gear) most small hills it will drop to 3rd and have had it drop to 2nd before. This is usually because I tow in cruise mode set at 67 so it drops gears to maintain that speed. I am kind of in the same boat as you because we look to do some trips in the future that will have some legit hills and not midwesterns hills. We have been contemplating puting 4.10 gears in the burb to help with this OR once we get out of some carseats upgrade to a 3/4 gas truck (new 7.3 ford with 4.30 rear) I hate to even think about jumping into a monster size truck payment for 6-7 years when the burb is paid off but the rust is catching up and technology with these new vehicles is incredible. I personally say that if you are planing the "once every now and then trip to the mountains" then get a 3/4 ton gasser with 4.10 or 4.30 rear end. If your going to do multiple trips in the mountains yearly or you might upgrade to a bigger camper in future then get a 1 ton diesel in any flavor.

btw we have also contemplated getting a smaller camper. We love love love the 28bhbe but she is about 35 foot long with the hensley hitch and I would love to have small and nimble and easier to tow for longer trips. We try to spend most of our time outside but with 3 young kids the space is wonderful.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #10

RTE1985 Thanks for the info...really appreciate all the input...Sure wish there was more but oh well.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #11

Too bad Ford quit making the Excursion. It would be great for families that don't fit into a 5 seat truck! Wish they would bring those back!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStartô 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote