Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Before even talking about hitches etc...
What is the (GVW)ACTUAL weight of your TT, Not what the sticker says but the real scaled weight? Next what is the ACTUAL tongue weight you’re working with? And what is your CGVW-truck, TT, ie everything that is taken with you when driving down the road.
These #’s should be taken when you’re loaded ready to leave for a trip. Once you have these numbers you can quit GUESSING and start making informed decisions to solve your sway problems. It scary how many people that decide they want a camper or trailer and never pull across a scale so they know what weights they’re working with...
Colorado is right on the money. You should know what you're dealing with before you go any farther. However, it's reasonable to assume that a Weight Distribution Hitch is in your future.

Looking at the specs on the TT the dry tongue weight is 505 pounds. Add a couple propane tanks, battery and tongue jack along with a few items inside and that number gets bigger pretty quick.

Once you take this across the scales and know what you're working with, eTrailer has a tool on its Website to help you select at WDH and experts on staff to answer questions help you decide the best solution.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #22

I've visited the scales and done it the right way most of the time. But what do you do when you have been primitive camping for a week or two in the middle of nowhere and there are no scales nearby?
Pauls72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls72 View Post
I've visited the scales and done it the right way most of the time. But what do you do when you have been primitive camping for a week or two in the middle of nowhere and there are no scales nearby?
Weighing everything is something you do BEFORE you get on the road and actually go camping. It is a process of doing all the work of getting everything ready to go camping with the sole purpose of driving across a scale.

IMO you should also weigh your setup on the way home after all your CONSUMABLES -(propane, food, drinks etc) have been used and therefore WILL change your CGVW, tongue weight, GVW ETC. Your setup’s weight and the balance of your setup will change after a camping trip which will also change the road manners of your camper.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear711 View Post
I have a jayco 23 rb and am towing it with 2015 CHEVY Z71 i SEEM TO GET A LOT OF TRAILER SWay when a semi passes me what is the best anti sway device I can get,
I use a Hensley Arrow trailer hitch. It is probably more expensive than a Harbor Freight, but it does prevent trailer sway, almost never has a jackknife and backs without difficulty.
You can see it attached to the trailer tongue in the picture.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Too much tongue weight will never cause sway.

Sway is the result of too much weight in the back.

I agree with that. Sway more likely with too much weight in back and not enough tongue weight.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

Distribution of weight sway
This is a great video demonstration of weight distribution relation to trailer sway. Thanks.