Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #21

I know you indicated no trucks but have you actually got into the Ford f150 extended super cab models. They are two rolls of seats with all the leg room you need in the back seat. Mine has all the comforts you need for kids in the back and us sitting in the two captain seats with nice console between us. I added a hard walled thick plastic folding bed cover which seals the weather just great. Plenty of storage area under the "FOLD-A-COVER" . My 2KW Honda sits in the tail gate corner and is secured to the inside wall. When you use the generator we just slide it out onto the tailgate - generator is always out-of-site which to me is the best defense against generator thief. It is WIN WIN for us towing our trailer.

With the Ford tow package option you can tow a pretty big trailer. Comes with factory brake controller and rear camera also. I get great gas mileage towing my POPUP.

My tent camping days we had the Ford Expedition and after that it has been a 2004 and now a 2010 F150 truck. I have no problems what-so-ever towing my 4200lb OFF-ROAD POPUP even going west on US82 between Lake Village, ARK and Crossett, ARK where the Georgia Pacific logging trucks are meeting you going 70MPH with logs piled as high as you can see. There is no keeping way to the right on this two lane stretch of US82. The truck drivers always have a big smile on their face...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #22

We pull our X23B with an '03 Expedition 5.4 liter. On the CAT scale the trailer weighed in at 4420#. The mpg is BAD (just north of 9) but if that was the most important thing I'd drive an electric car and stay in a hotel.
We rolled over 98K miles this week on a trip to Lake Catherine AR from the Houston area. I keep my speed pretty close to 60 and it pulls nicely.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #23

Great information. Thanks for all the positive feedback. We will see how it tows to the Dells and back. This trip will determine a lot for future trips.
biester26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #24

The 7,300 TV max tow rating and 5900 max TT weight give you 1,400 lb margin so you should be more than o.k.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #25

Since I've notice recent activity on this thread, just wanted to provide an update on my situation.

We ended up buying an Explorer last spring. We've towed over 7000km in the last year and I'm very pleased with it. The only complaint that I have is going up steep hills. Aside from that, no white knuckles for this first time tower. No sway issues and braking is fine as well. Gas consumption is also what is to be expected (about 23 to 25 litres/100 KM OR 12-11MPG for the Americans. At today's gas prices, that's about $100 for 2.5 - 3 hours of highway driving).

Thanks!

2011 Jayfeather 23K
2007 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer - V8
Husky Centreline Towing System

:Canada:
nathanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #26

Funny story (for the Americans) about L/100Km guages...

When I got my ram the MPG guage was set to metric! I was losing my mind trying to figure out how my gas mileage was continuously going down as I coasted down hills! It was also some ridiculous low mileage to begin with so I was kind of worried my purchase was a big mistake! Well, of course L/100Km, you want the number to be low! I had to laugh once I figured it out! I was practically coasting around town trying to bring up my mileage and it just kept getting worse:hihi: Not picking on the Canadian, just a funny story...

Glad your setup is working out well for you! I think most rigs are a bit slow on the uphills - even my Ram Cummins bogs down a bit more with our new trailer!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanchev View Post
Since I've notice recent activity on this thread, just wanted to provide an update on my situation.

We ended up buying an Explorer last spring. We've towed over 7000km in the last year and I'm very pleased with it. The only complaint that I have is going up steep hills. Aside from that, no white knuckles for this first time tower. No sway issues and braking is fine as well. Gas consumption is also what is to be expected (about 23 to 25 litres/100 KM OR 12-11MPG for the Americans. At today's gas prices, that's about $100 for 2.5 - 3 hours of highway driving).

Thanks!
Glad to hear your combo worked well for you.

I'm pulling a 3,700 lb TT with a Chevy Silverado that has a max tow rating of 4,700 lbs. On level or moderate grades you don't know the TT is there. On long, steep inclines it will down shift a run 2,500 ~ 3,500 rpm to hold speed then back down to about 1,800 rpm or so when getting back to level.

What range of transmission temperatures are you seeing?

Last week on an 85 ~ 90 degree day I was running 185 to a peak of 195 going 60 ~ 65mph on various grades with A/C running.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote