Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2023, 06:22 AM   #21

USC, congratulations and welcome. Thank you for taking the time to research this, it keeps us all safer. We've all driven down an interstate and saw some folks that probably just believed whomever was selling them the trailer.

The pre COVID good deal standard on me was about 33% off sticker. Once you left with it it was worth less than half sticker. I'm hoping you did better.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
USC, congratulations and welcome. Thank you for taking the time to research this, it keeps us all safer. We've all driven down an interstate and saw some folks that probably just believed whomever was selling them the trailer.

The pre COVID good deal standard on me was about 33% off sticker. Once you left with it it was worth less than half sticker. I'm hoping you did better.
Taft,

Thanks for the kind words. I tried to do my best to secure a TT that would meet our needs (we will be living in it and traveling around for 8-10 months while we build). So we need something with room but not too heavy. This Jayco seemed to meet those criteria.

I guess if half the sticker is the value after driving off the lot, then I did relatively good. The sticker was $52K and change...we purchased it for just under $30K. I figure that to be about 42% below asking.
USCcruisecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Bob,

Your weigh-in efforts at the CAT scale under typically loaded TV/TT conditions will pay dividends (ie: optimize TV handling and WDH functionality, etc.).

If you 'normally' tow with some (or full) fresh water in the TT tank, fill the tank accordingly prior to the CAT weigh-in.

Bob
Rustic, I sure appreciate all the advice you gave. I picked up my Jayco yesterday morning in Heflin AL. Right across the street was a Love's Truck Stop so I immediately went to the CAT scales and did my weights on all three Axles.
Steer Axle...2960
Drive axle...3380
Trailer axle...6140
Gross weight of 12,480.

Those weights put me 760 pounds below the trucks GCWR and 1460 pounds below the TT GVWR. We should have no issues stay below the numbers with us and our stuff in the truck and TT.

I had a Blue Ox WD Hitch installed and on the 340 mile trip back home I only knew I had a TT behind me when I was going up long inclines, but never had an issue. I drove 65 (set my Cruise Control) and never felt anything when Semi's passed me on the left. On flat ground I never exceeded 1800rpm and on the steep inclines never exceeded 3000 rpm. Only noticeable thing was my gas mileage went from 22 mpg to just over 11 mpg.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyka2020RVlife View Post
I’ve been pulling a 2020 Jayfeather 27bhb for three years now with a Ram Rebel 1500. Tow 11,600 with a payload of 1560. I use a blue ox wdh and haven’t had any real issues. About 10k miles, long trips to like NJ to Orlando. A have a little sag, thinking about the airbags but It doesn’t feel bad driving. With the family in the car I really only put a few light things in the bed of the truck. Strong winds caught me off guard the first time, so I just have to slow down.
Combo of Jayfeather 27BHB, Blue Ox WDH and my GMC had no issues whatsoever. After reading your reply last week it gave me great confidence that I had the right combo and did not exceed my truck's capability. Hope to see you on the road!!! Cheers!
Old 05-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #25

@USCcruisecrazy - After owning for ~3 months how is it going? I'm looking at at 2021 27BHB pulling with a 2020 Silverado 1500 and concerned about the length. Curious how it is going for you?
Thanks!
Mwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwagoner View Post
@USCcruisecrazy - After owning for ~3 months how is it going? I'm looking at at 2021 27BHB pulling with a 2020 Silverado 1500 and concerned about the length. Curious how it is going for you?
Thanks!
Mwagoner, It was the first time I owned an RV that long, so it took a little getting used to with the backing in piece. But I've had no issues while pulling it. Not only does my GMC pull it rather easily, the length hasn't been too hard to get used to when taking turns. With the stabilizer/sway system I have, there have been no issues driving on the Interstate as vehicles (including 18-wheelers) passed. And having an RV that size has come in handy for livability. Good luck!!!
Old 05-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCcruisecrazy View Post
snip...... Those weights put me 760 pounds below the trucks GCWR and 1460 pounds below the TT GVWR. We should have no issues stay below the numbers with us and our stuff in the truck and TT.........snip
Just curious....., have you had the opportunity to re-visit the CAT for a final 3-pass TV/TT weigh-in under your typically loaded (ready-to-camp) weights?

This final 3-pass weigh-in will also confirm your actual 'loaded' tongue weight, and that the proper weight (distribution of) has been returned to the TV's front suspension via proper WDH adjustment.

CAT Scale TV/TT how-to link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:03 PM   #28

Just some advice my buddy at the Chevrolet dealership provided. If you have a tow package, just pushing the tow/haul mode button isn’t enough. To keep from burning out your transmission you gotta shift to L, hit the arrows on the column stick and “lock out” the higher gears. For two lane roads I’m always in L4. For level interstates, I’m in L5. Typically run about 50-55 mph. Get about 11-13 mpg. Hope this makes sense.
Gregory N Whitis is offline   Reply With Quote