Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2022, 08:10 AM   #1

Towing capabilities????

I have a 2020 GMC Canyon 2WD SLT Crew Short Box,
Engine: 3.6L DI DOHC V6
Transmission: 8-SPD Automatic
Towing: GWVR 7,700 lbs.

I have a new 2023 Jayco Jay Flight SLX7 184BS
UVW 3643 lbs.

Can I pull this camper up Fancy Gap, VA. Mountain (I-77) from Hickory, NC to Roanoke, VA and Black Mountain (I-40) from Hickory, NC to Ashville, NC?
The wife thinks that my truck can't. She wants to stay south or towards the coast.
We drove to Wilmington, NC from Hickory, NC last week. (I-40). Nice trip, 5 hours, 2 gas stops, traveling 60-65 mph. Kept up with traffic.
Please advise.
Check the pictures, (enlarge them for detail).
wayles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayles3 View Post
I have a 2020 GMC Canyon 2WD SLT Crew Short Box,
Engine: 3.6L DI DOHC V6
Transmission: 8-SPD Automatic
Towing: GWVR 7,700 lbs.

I have a new 2023 Jayco Jay Flight SLX7 184BS
UVW 3643 lbs.

Can I pull this camper up Fancy Gap, VA. Mountain (I-77) from Hickory, NC to Roanoke, VA and Black Mountain (I-40) from Hickory, NC to Ashville, NC?
The wife thinks that my truck can't. She wants to stay south or towards the coast.
We drove to Wilmington, NC from Hickory, NC last week. (I-40). Nice trip, 5 hours, 2 gas stops, traveling 60-65 mph. Kept up with traffic.
Please advise.
Check the pictures, (enlarge them for detail).
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry not familiar at all with that route but here's a video of pretty much the same truck pulling 6100 lbs up the IKE gauntlet.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Team

I've pulled Fancy Gap dozens of times. You should be fine with your truck/trailer even if you have the RV loaded to its full 4500 lb GVWR.

I'd suggest keeping to the center lane depending on your speed pulling the grade. Usually things get really slow with trucks in the right and really fast with the people in the left lane trying to see how fast they can pull the hill (only to be really surprised to see that VA State Police usually run radar just at the top of the hill in the center median). The center seems to always be a sweet spot for pulling an RV up the grade for me with the option to pull right if needed.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:01 AM   #4

I had a 3.6L on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and pulled a 195RB over several passes like Monarch, Berthoud, Loveland and Eisenhower tunnel with no problem. I did slow down a bit and kept the RPMs below 4,000.

Make sure your rig is in good condition, including tires, oil and check to see if your transmission fluid has been changed as required by the manual. Brakes on the far side are a must as is a good controller. A WDH like the Andersen with integral sway control is really nice on the down hill!!!!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:36 PM   #5

We have a 2021 Canyon 4 WD short bed. ( meaning we are loaded heavier with less room for error than you are)
And a 212 qb.

We have done that route twice with no issues at all.

Well maybe one. Fog.. It was kind of scary with trucks not visible in the slow lane until the last minute.. Yes keep to the middle.. even that for us had some slowpokes..

Coming down that hill from Fancy Gap seems like landing an airplane.. I am always checking the runaway truck ramp for casualties.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:46 PM   #6

I noticed someone said to keep your rpm down. You don’t want to lug your engine. Go into a lower gear and keep your RPMs up. This also helps to keep the transmission from overheating. When going downhill again, use your transmission to keep your speed in checked. Brakes get hot in a hurry, and you don’t want that to happen. Between the engine breaking and tapping your brakes to maintain the desired speed you should be fine. And if your wife has any further comments, you should paid heed to them because apparently she realizes you do not have a tow vehicle!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #7

Fancy Gap

Sounds like a lot of great advice received. I have pull Fancy Gap several time from Ashville to Roanoke and have never had problems. Towing 12800 GVWR fifth wheel. I usually keep my speed down anyway. Around 60 mph. So not a problem. Found that 80 mph don't get you there any faster, Cheaper or Safer.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcburt View Post
Sounds like a lot of great advice received. I have pull Fancy Gap several time from Ashville to Roanoke and have never had problems. Towing 12800 GVWR fifth wheel. I usually keep my speed down anyway. Around 60 mph. So not a problem. Found that 80 mph don't get you there any faster, Cheaper or Safer.
Isn't 26 shorter? It doesn't go to Fancy Gap. That high stretch between Asheville and Johnson City is so scary if it is windy.. The crosswinds can be fierce. We often have to decide on 77 or 26 and a wind app on the phone answers our questions..77 seems to be less prone to violent winds.

As for those who think the Canyon isn't a tow vehicle ours has now some 7000 towing miles on it and every trip involves a 12 percent grade just to get out of our local area. We are in a lake valley surrounded by high hills. Truck has no problem.. The East does have many such areas; roads like trails seem to not know the principle of switchbacks.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #9

Towing Capabiligties

I know what you mean about having to decide 77 or 26. We do the same. But 77 to 81 may be a little longer route, 40 to 220 which is the alternate route, takes us longer. We live up in Hollins Northeast Roanoke. So, we watch the wind, and don't forget the fog and choice the safest route.
Mcburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I've pulled Fancy Gap dozens of times. You should be fine with your truck/trailer even if you have the RV loaded to its full 4500 lb GVWR.

I'd suggest keeping to the center lane depending on your speed pulling the grade. Usually things get really slow with trucks in the right and really fast with the people in the left lane trying to see how fast they can pull the hill (only to be really surprised to see that VA State Police usually run radar just at the top of the hill in the center median). The center seems to always be a sweet spot for pulling an RV up the grade for me with the option to pull right if needed.
^^^ x2 what he said!
57gasser is offline   Reply With Quote