Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #21

I guess i'm lucky, my 04 Chevy Avalanche was before GM got cheap. It came with factory power extending and they are a pretty good size mirror.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
That’s what I love about this forum. Not only will they disagree with you, they will disagree with you in such an onerous manner that you feel like a whipped dog who dared opine against the majority!

How dare someone offer their opinion!?

Folks can’t disagree in a civil manner, they have to “can’t disagree more”

Gotta Love it.
When you opine that an option is “so much better” as a fact without offering any voice of experience or supporting information, it sounds like nothing more than blustering. If the experience or supporting information is there, that little tidbit would certainly be valuable to the discussion and should’ve been shared by now. Where did your negative points of observation come from? Did you have a set of aftermarkets that rattled, discolored, or didn’t connect easily? If so, we’d love to know what brand they were or where they came from so that we can spread the word and help others to avoid the same mistake. Discounting all aftermarkets in a broad brush stroke comment is unfair to the discussion. I just looked back and found that I paid $160 on Amazon back when I bought mine. I remember putting some anaerobic Loctite on the nuts when installing them based on some tips I had read on reviews and the forums. That’s good info that helped me at the time and I’d like to think I’m offering some valid input to the OP since we have the same year, make, and model of truck. Getting all butt-hurt over a “can’t disagree more” comment isn’t doing anything but taking up space. Please feel free to offer something more substantial than just prattle to the conversation on towing mirrors and I’ll be all ears to sponge up any valuable wisdom you have to offer.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #23

My 2017 Nissan Titan has decent mirrors,I can see the sides ok and have blind spot warnings. I too like to see what’s behind me but the big tow mirrors for Titan are 900.00 bucks ,so I’m going to buy a rear observation camera. These cameras are wireless and from the ratings , work really well, and are only $300 to 400 bucks.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #24

if you don't get the towing mirrors from the factory $200 option.. then you can buy them from a dealer or wherever for $900 and up to well over a $1k for the "GM" mirrors

Ford really has nice towing mirrors.. they are power fold, power extend and memory and all the rest.. they really are great mirrors.. why GM can't build them is beyond my understanding and to be honest the mirrors on the GM trucks and SUV's are getting smaller not bigger.. of no use .. maybe they are going to get rid of mirrors and all go camera...

like all "factory car parts" they are all basically made at the same plant and the same supplier... just like a ATV.. the parts are just speced slightly different but Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, etc.. all use the same manufacturer for their parts... for cars they come from 10 or so suppliers all with different packaging...

The aftermarket is the same deal they actually use the same suppliers... because that is who makes them anyway.. they make some changes to avoid any patents and poof you get the same thing...

there are plenty of after market mirrors that are made to factory spec for allot less money.. I ended up buying the GM mirrors for my 2014 and they were not cheap by any means... Now about 2 years later they have aftermarket ones that are exactly the same for about 2/3 the price... they look exactly the same because they are..

My GM mirrors have a bit of a shake to them... because they are so freaking big, my ford had the similar mirror and it shook as well.. not allot but they had a slight vibration... I have had aftermarket ones as well and they shook about the same...

On my ford they put on 2 mirrors and they both did the same thing ... vibration.. they were ford mirrors so to say that OEM is the best is not necessarily always true...

as always your mileage may very...

I would not be hesitant to order aftermarket mirrors that fit your application heck some of them are even better than the OEM from those years...
Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Its not worth $500-600 for a pair of OEM mirrors, lots of great aftermarket mirrors out there.
I hit a telephone pole on a very narrow double-lane street and ruined my Ford towing mirror. After looking at all the reviews I decided to pay the extra money and get a "FORD" replacement. Yes it cost me $450 (that's with $100 discount from my friends body shop) but I don't have to deal with all the problems people are complaining about on Amazon! Be sure to read ALL the reviews before you make a final decision!
The reviews on my model showed they don't rotate "both" ways and only have one axis, be careful of the after-markets!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #26

Adjusting tow mirrirs

I've got my first tow mirrors that I will be installing on my 2014 Chevrolet Silvarado. How do you properly adjust tow mirrors! With the stock mirrors, I can see right down the side of the truck. Should the tow mirrors be adjusted to "pick up" on the outside edge where the view of the stock mirrors stops? Should I be going for a view of the rear corners of the TT? I don't think there is any way that they will allow me to see behind the TT. A beginner question in need of an experienced answer.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #27

CIPS mirrors are serving me well. I bought my new truck and trailer in 2017, and the truck had precisely the options I wanted for a tow vehicle, except the mirrors. With all I had just spent, and with buying all the camping and trailer stuff we needed, I didn't want to put a lot into my mirrors.

On my 2017 F-150, the CIPA are an excellent fit, vibration free, easy to put on and remove, and haven't damaged the pebbly finish on my stock mirrors.

The adjustment is a bit inadequate, and they could be bigger, but I'm satisfied with my purchase.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Need to install some towing mirrors on my 2010 GMC Sierra, dont like not being able to see the rear of my TT. Have considered buying some of the clip on to the existing mirror. If that is not suggested, I would fine with replacing the existing mirrors. Any suggestions either way or suggestions on ones you have experience with? They do not have to be heated or have the signal in them.

Thanks.

Go to GMC and order towing mirrors that are for your truck. You will be glad you did.............
Old 01-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
CIPS mirrors are serving me well.

On my 2017 F-150, the CIPA are an excellent fit, vibration free, easy to put on and remove, and haven't damaged the pebbly finish on my stock mirrors.
Not only that, but you gotta love the price!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
Old 01-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
CIPA towing mirrors...
X3

I also added an observation camera to see as much as possible back there.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyouberg View Post
I've got my first tow mirrors that I will be installing on my 2014 Chevrolet Silvarado. How do you properly adjust tow mirrors! With the stock mirrors, I can see right down the side of the truck. Should the tow mirrors be adjusted to "pick up" on the outside edge where the view of the stock mirrors stops? Should I be going for a view of the rear corners of the TT? I don't think there is any way that they will allow me to see behind the TT. A beginner question in need of an experienced answer.
Adjust them like you would the TV mirrors. They will let you see farther rearward, since the stick out more. In NYS, I think it's suppose to let you see about 200 feet behind the TT. Just make it so you can see the blind spots the stock mirrors have.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 01-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #32

Quote:
It depends on what you think is “worth it” I guess.

If you want mirrors that don’t shake, it’s worth it.
If you want mirrors that fit perfectly the wire harness without mods, it’s worth it.
If you want mirrors that match the rest of the plastic trim on the truck it’s worth it.

Otherwise I guess it’s not worth it.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
I bought a set of Cipo mirrors that are brand/year specific. They fit and match my OEM mirrors on my 2010 3/4 ton HD and there is no wiggle or slop with the fit. Standing 5 feet from the truck it is pretty much hard to notice that they are temp add ons. Think the cost was less than $50.

Yes I agree spending hundreds is not worth it. When I get home they come off in less than 5 minutes. Driving north last week in the ice and snow that hit the south, my vision to either side was unobstructed. The true test was when we followed 3 or 4 18 wheelers out of a town in south central Alabama on a narrow 2 lane highway [65 was closed north of Mobile]. Came to a stop and soon realized we were stuck as the highway ahead had been closed by the state. All the cars managed to turn around but the trucks and little ol me with my 34' White Hawk were pretty much going nowhere. A local in a dully ask me if I could back up the hill to a gravel pull off. It was .3 miles up a pretty significant hill with deep ditches on both sides. He went to the top and blocked and I backed up using the mirrors that allowed me to see straight down both sides of the TT and use the center line as a guide. Success and we went back a few miles and overnited at a conveniently located Walmart.

Thank you Cipa mirrors.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I bought a set of Cipo mirrors that are brand/year specific. They fit and match my OEM mirrors on my 2010 3/4 ton HD and there is no wiggle or slop with the fit. Standing 5 feet from the truck it is pretty much hard to notice that they are temp add ons. Think the cost was less than $50.

Yes I agree spending hundreds is not worth it. When I get home they come off in less than 5 minutes. Driving north last week in the ice and snow that hit the south, my vision to either side was unobstructed. The true test was when we followed 3 or 4 18 wheelers out of a town in south central Alabama on a narrow 2 lane highway [65 was closed north of Mobile]. Came to a stop and soon realized we were stuck as the highway ahead had been closed by the state. All the cars managed to turn around but the trucks and little ol me with my 34' White Hawk were pretty much going nowhere. A local in a dully ask me if I could back up the hill to a gravel pull off. It was .3 miles up a pretty significant hill with deep ditches on both sides. He went to the top and blocked and I backed up using the mirrors that allowed me to see straight down both sides of the TT and use the center line as a guide. Success and we went back a few miles and overnited at a conveniently located Walmart.

Thank you Cipa mirrors.

Man, you guys like flogging me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #34

I used Cipa mirrors on both my 2002 Silverado and on my 2011 Silverado. They worked nicely on both trucks. Neither set vibrated and gave me adequate vision when towing my trailer.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #35

I bought Cipa mirrors for my 2000 Silverado. Still using them to this day on my 2004. They work....18 years later.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Man, you guys like flogging me.

No one is flogging just responding to what appeared to be an unsupported and negative opinion about aftermarket temporary tow mirrors. Don't know if you were just justifying your decision to POP for OEM mirrors or if you had a bad experience with the aftermarket alternatives, but I and others simply wanted to point out their experience with the cheaper alternative.

Cipa mirrors are probably already sold out on Amazon after forum members read our positive comments about them. There are other good aftermarket alternatives available but I think Cipa mirrors are the best. You are entitled to your opinion but you might want to be more specific about your complaint about something you are being so negative about.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
No one is flogging just responding to what appeared to be an unsupported and negative opinion about aftermarket temporary tow mirrors. Don't know if you were just justifying your decision to POP for OEM mirrors or if you had a bad experience with the aftermarket alternatives, but I and others simply wanted to point out their experience with the cheaper alternative.

Cipa mirrors are probably already sold out on Amazon after forum members read our positive comments about them. There are other good aftermarket alternatives available but I think Cipa mirrors are the best. You are entitled to your opinion but you might want to be more specific about your complaint about something you are being so negative about.

What is unnecessary is dredging up old comments that were clearly a direct frontal attack on me, and then posting it AGAIN nearly a month later.

I’ve been a loyal member of this community long enough to know what you did was unfriendly and not needed. My position was and still is clearly a dissenting opinion to the majority. That is ok. Direct attacks on single members like the way you all pounced when you saw the virtual blood in the virtual water is not OK. You should be ashamed.

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #38

Quote:
What is unnecessary is dredging up old comments that were clearly a direct frontal attack on me, and then posting it AGAIN nearly a month later.

I’ve been a loyal member of this community long enough to know what you did was unfriendly and not needed. My position was and still is clearly a dissenting opinion to the majority. That is ok. Direct attacks on single members like the way you all pounced when you saw the virtual blood in the virtual water is not OK. You should be ashamed.

Sorry but my memory doesn't go back that far. No dredging up old stuff and my comments specifically speak to my experience just 2 weeks ago coming back from the Gulf after the ice/snow on Jan 17. I couldn't have handled the .3 mile back up with a bad set of mirrors.

You see a direct attack?? My comments and others were nothing more than opinions we have had with Cipa mirrors. They spoke to the specific negatives mentioned in your post.

Ashamed?? I think not. Have a nice day.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #39

Quote:

If you are going to post your opinion you have to be able to take some negative responses. I don't think anyone was attacking you, its just that most disagreed that the only way to go was expensive OEM mirrors. And this won't be the last time this post comes back to life so be ready for more in the future.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #40

CT, first, thanks for your contributions. I participate in this forum because there are virtually no "attacks" on participants. The first post on this forum was by a virtual newbie. I think we are reacting to your post because your view was so concise and definite. If read directly, the newbie might have run out and purchased OEM mirrors. Others, including me, have 3rd party mirrors that don't vibrate etc. and are much less expensive. When we voice that opinion it is the same as yours, it is meant to be productive. I think that some of us believed that the wording you used was too strong and too limiting. This isn't a personal attack, we are just reacting to way you communicated; there was virtually no room for a discussion or disagreement. And, this is a relaxed forum, so please also give others a break as they might have posted words that appear to you to be an attack, yet they were also just trying to communicate their strong views based on their experience. There is so much on this forum to learn, hope this may help.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Closed Thread