Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #1

Towing mirrors?

Need to install some towing mirrors on my 2010 GMC Sierra, dont like not being able to see the rear of my TT. Have considered buying some of the clip on to the existing mirror. If that is not suggested, I would fine with replacing the existing mirrors. Any suggestions either way or suggestions on ones you have experience with? They do not have to be heated or have the signal in them.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

I have a set of Longview for my RAM 1500 similar to these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...id=20104027750

They are easy to put on and take off and are extremely stable - no vibrations. Look at the details of the above as it does appear there may be some restrictions depending on what your stock mirrors are like.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

I also have a set of Longview mirrors. I had purchased another brand that was held on with straps and the vibration was too distracting. The Longview mirrors it securing against your mirrors and the vibration is nil. You can put in your model number; I called Longview and they actually suggested a better model for me.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Lots of choices on Amazon. Here is a link to a pair that will replace your OEM mirrors, they telescope out for towing, don't have to mess with slide on mirrors, these are $89, lots of other selections for your truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-2007-2...ra+tow+mirrors
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

I have the Dometic Milenco mirrors that I like as they are very secure and do not vibrate., Easy on and off.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
Old 12-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Need to install some towing mirrors on my 2010 GMC Sierra, dont like not being able to see the rear of my TT. Have considered buying some of the clip on to the existing mirror. If that is not suggested, I would fine with replacing the existing mirrors. Any suggestions either way or suggestions on ones you have experience with? They do not have to be heated or have the signal in them.
Good plan, because most states *require* mirrors that extend wide enough for vision behind your trailer!

I've been very happy with the Cipa slide-on mirrors I got for my 2010 F150. They've been very stable and the price can't be beat. I went to cipausa.com to nail down the correct part number, and then bought online them through WalMart with in-store pickup.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post

Thanks.
I recently went through this with my 2011 2500HD. What I learned is that there is A LOT more to replacing factory mirrors than one would think. In the end, I ordered a set of Trail Ridge from 1aauto.com. They are very much feature specific unless you want to have your CM reprogrammed. The link below is the set I went with and I can vouch for the Trail Ridge brand. I couldn't be more pleased with my set. HTH!

https://www.1aauto.com/mirror-pair-t...3/i/1amrp01811

shop
Old 12-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

I also have a 2010 Sierra and went the Amazon OEM-style towing mirror route. Cost was a hundred and something. Maintained heat and power functions and was even able to add turn signals as the truck was already wired for it. All connections are plug and play. Took little more than an hour to install both. 2+ years later and no regrets.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Go through gmpartsdirect.com and order the OEM towing mirrors that were an option that year.

They are so much better than knockoffs

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
Old 12-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Go through gmpartsdirect.com and order the OEM towing mirrors that were an option that year.

They are so much better than knockoffs
Its not worth $500-600 for a pair of OEM mirrors, lots of great aftermarket mirrors out there.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Its not worth $500-600 for a pair of OEM mirrors, lots of great aftermarket mirrors out there.

It depends on what you think is “worth it” I guess.

If you want mirrors that don’t shake, it’s worth it.
If you want mirrors that fit perfectly the wire harness without mods, it’s worth it.
If you want mirrors that match the rest of the plastic trim on the truck it’s worth it.

Otherwise I guess it’s not worth it.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
Old 12-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:

I get no shaking unlike the clip on mirrors I tried

If you want mirrors that fit perfectly the wire harness without mods, it’s worth it.
I don't know about Chevy but my F350 was a 20 min plug n play install per side, only one trim piece to remove on door to access nuts and harness, no mods needed, fit and look as good as OEM

If you want mirrors that match the rest of the plastic trim on the truck it’s worth it.
I don't have any other black plastic trim near the mirrors to match.
A1
Old 12-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

I have a set of Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirrors, on my Dakota. I really like them. I have them set to reach way out there, and I can easily see the bumper of my HTT. No to very little vibration. I am sure with a full size TV, it would be even easier to see, and would not need to set them up to reach as far.

The only downside, every time I put them on, we have to adjust the mirrors. My DW, has to get out the the TV to make the adjustments on the passenger side. Me, I just reach out the window. I do not think it is a big deal. When we are in camp, I flip my mirrors in so they do not get bumped.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #14

I'd purchased some mirrors from A1 for a Tundra that worked great. Looked OEM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

i had the clip on mirrors for a bit and they worked just fine. they didn't move or come loose. i was going to install a set of replacement non oem towing mirrors that i found for a few hundred but ended up not ever getting them because the clip ons worked well. i just sold them when i sold the truck or would still be using them.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #16

I guess I'm in the minority then. I picked these up many years ago for $15 each at the local industrial supply place, and they've served me well. This is the third tow vehicle I've used them on. Good field of vision but they do vibrate ever so slightly -- enough that I can't read the license plate on the car behind me, but I'm far more interested in knowing that there's a car behind me in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0911.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:

Otherwise I guess it’s not worth it.
I couldn’t disagree more. I went the aftermarket route for my GM and have experienced none of the aforementioned problems in over 35k miles of travel. While I’m typically a proponent of the “you get what you pay for” school of thought, methinks there may be a wee bit too much generalization being tossed about in championing the OEM’s here.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #18

That’s what I love about this forum. Not only will they disagree with you, they will disagree with you in such an onerous manner that you feel like a whipped dog who dared opine against the majority!

How dare someone offer their opinion!?

Folks can’t disagree in a civil manner, they have to “can’t disagree more”

Gotta Love it.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #19

CIPA towing mirrors for GMC and Chevy. Slip on over stock mirrors and have a knob to tighten them. Have a pair for our 07 Silverado, work great and no problems with them. Currently $45 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 12-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
CIPA towing mirrors for GMC and Chevy. Slip on over stock mirrors and have a knob to tighten them. Have a pair for our 07 Silverado, work great and no problems with them. Currently $45 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2. This is my second set. I had a set for my old '95 Suburban. Inexpensive, easy on/easy off, and they don't bounce.

Cipa Mirrors 2007-2013 GM full size PU truck
Closed Thread