Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #11

I'd like to clarify what I meant by momentum. My point was just to not stop moving once you start, not to actually run the hill "hammer down!" Lol

Stopping and restarting, depending on available traction or just how slow you want to go, may have better luck in low gear.

That said, I have never had to run in low anytime I've pulled campers and other trailers, and I've driven up and over many miles of steep dirt roads, in dry, wet, and snowy conditions, and I can't think of a time low was necessary.

Your mileage may vary, as they say. 😃

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
I'd like to clarify what I meant by momentum. My point was just to not stop moving once you start, not to actually run the hill "hammer down!" Lol

Stopping and restarting, depending on available traction or just how slow you want to go, may have better luck in low gear.

That said, I have never had to run in low anytime I've pulled campers and other trailers, and I've driven up and over many miles of steep dirt roads, in dry, wet, and snowy conditions, and I can't think of a time low was necessary.

Your mileage may vary, as they say. 😃
Oh cmon' now, we all know you meant the proverbial "Hey ya'll, watch this!!"

2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #13

Your version and my version of steep my be different.

I have a different approach than the others. Your not driving in mud or snow, your at home, assuming on a well maintained gravel driveway.

If your TV has an awd option I would try that first. But if you do not then, I would try 2 wheel drive, and proceed cautiously, your not at the races, if you start to slip, flip over to 4 high. You will make it no problems. But if you do slip, and cant get traction, flip to 4 low. I would practice using it. I use 4 low often, it is great on wet grass, and gravel.

I have been told I have a steep driveway and no one wants to try backing into my driveway even without a trailer. I backup over a 100 feet on concrete, with bad visibility, basically none, I have to trust my spotter's voice commands over the speaker phone. I start out in 2 wheel drive. Once I straighten out I flip over to 4 low, and the truck just walks up the driveway, my foot is on the brake.

If you have never used 4 low, get your manual out. You may have special procedures to follow to flip in and out of 4 low. For example on my tv's the transmission must be in neutral to change in and out of 4 low. Also, you can bind up the differentials so you might have a hard time getting out of 4 low, your manual should tell you how to deal with that senerio too. And the steering feels different if your turning, as you may bounce, due to all the wheels being locked up and rotating at the same rate. The power you have in 4 low is incredible.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #14

I hope you're closer to 5500# than 6000# once loaded as the trailer GVWR is 5500#.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #15

I would use 4 LOW. The TV will crawl up the hill and if you use a light foot on the gas, you should barely spin a tire!

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 AM   #16

4WD low. Granny it up that hill.
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #17

To me 4 Low is overkill. Like was said before, everybody's definition of "steep" can be different but I would think that Expedition would make it just fine up a steep gravel driveway in 4 high. My vote is 4 high and low gear and adjust from there if necessary to make you feel more comfortable.
abart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #18

We had that exact situation in the Ozarks on the Buffalo River. Coming up a 14 percent grade( in 500 fit long pitches, not steady for three miles thankfully) out of the Ozark campground. It was our fifth day with the TT and I was petrified anyway so we went slow and low and never lost traction.
No guiderails were a motivator too!

There was a ten percent grade going down to the intersection of a busy highway at a stop sign. Stopping also was mandatory. Slow was again good.

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #19

Low and Slow!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #20

Without knowing what kind of hill we're talking about, it's super hard to make a realistic recommendation. Personally I'd start in 2WD and take it slow and steady, and see where that got me. With an extra thousand pounds of weight on the rear tires, I haven't yet found traction to be a problem unless I'm operating the gas pedal in a binary fashion.