Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2024, 07:40 PM   #1

Towing with Half Ton

Hello,

We purchased our first TT 2022 Jayco 264BH. Our truck is 2024 Ram 1500 3.6 V6 with 3.21 gear ratio.I pulled it 60 miles no issue.
Before I pulled it out of the lot I installed equalizer sway and weight distribution hitch.
We are light travelers, me and my wife packed one backpack each to hit the road.

After I came home, I saw couple of posts that scared me about pulling with 1/2 ton trucks.

I am planning to travel for 3 months from Florida to Washington state. I donít want to make this a terrible experience.

How safe/unsafe do you all think this rig?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7005.jpg  
atakanmslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:50 PM   #2

What's your truck rated to tow? Your trailer maxes out at 6,000
Old 05-30-2024, 07:55 PM   #3

I tow a 267BHS with a '23 Ram 1500 Classic - however I have the 5.7 in mine... it tows fine; with a proper WDH/anti-sway setup.

Now, your particular truck; it'll depend on payload and gearing if you're in spec or not...
OntFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:57 PM   #4

When I look at the chart it shows as 6550 Max Trailer Rating. I am guessing I am going to be around 5100 on trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7101.jpeg  
Old 05-30-2024, 07:59 PM   #5

Well if you are considering a lot of higher altitude towing, the 3.21 gear ratio may be the weak link in your setup. So while you are using a half ton, which I have used across this country three different trips from the east coast to the west coast, I do have a different combination with a higher rear end ratio. My new 1/2 ton has a combination of a 3.5 eco boost and a 3.55 gear ratio with the max tow package with a similar travel trailer loaded down and it does just fine in most of the gradual grades out west. I only tow 60 to 62 in most cases.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:10 PM   #6

I am willing to sacrifice on speed a lot. I am ok to drive 50-55 mph also saves from gas millage. I avg 14 mpg on 60 miles trip.

I feel like I am close enough to tow but at the safe time I want to make sure me and my wife is safe while I am doing this.

I don’t want to spend a fortune and just for 3 months of trip to get 2500 diesel.

I see some people tows even with a car it blows my mind how a truck can’t tow such a thing.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakanmslu View Post
When I look at the chart it shows as 6550 Max Trailer Rating. I am guessing I am going to be around 5100 on trailer.
Based on that and what you posted about speed I think you'll be fine.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:18 PM   #8

Well I certainly would not buy a 2500 just for a one time trip. Just plan your route accordingly and drive carefully in the higher regions of the country. Don't rush, when push comes to shove. With the truck being 2024, your brakes should be okay. Do you have any additional add on suspension system parts like Helwig springs or air shocks? This can help with your setup if you add additional gear for the extender trip.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:26 PM   #9

No, but that’s something I will be definitely look in to right now. Thanks for the recommendation, I know that they won’t improve it will just smooth my ride which I will appreciate.

One more thing, when I was towing I am feeling that TT is pushing me from behind, now I used most of the time cruise control when I was riding. I set my gain on 6.5. Is that normal that TT is pushing me?
Old 05-30-2024, 08:28 PM   #10

It's not possible to evaluate the capacities without knowing all the details. I've prepared a spreadsheet for this, click here to download.
As you populate the cells, avoid those shaded in green because they contain a formula and populate themselves.
There is a small area in purple. This is populated from your CAT Scale report.

How to Weigh Your Truck and Camper at a CAT Scale
1. Download the CAT Scale App. Thereís an app for everything, including weighing your camper and truck on a CAT Scale. Run the app, create a login, enter credit card info so you can do everything you need without any help when you get to the scale.
2. Fuel and load up your vehicle and camper. You should fill your fuel tank and have your truck and camper loaded. (Maybe do this as you depart for your camping trip?)
3. Position your truck and camper on the scale properly to get an accurate reading. Stop driving forward on the scales when the speaker box is beside your driver's window. Open the CAT Scale App to do the weighing. You shouldn't need to speak with anyone over the speaker box.
4. Park your camper in their parking area, unhook the camper and return to the scale with only your truck and weigh that with the CAT Scale App, you have ($3?) option to re-weigh.

Now you have all the numbers for to populate the purple area.
Populate the Purple areas 1st weigh and 2nd weigh (this is truck only)
Once these cells are populated the results of all the cells you previously populated everywhere will display in the Yellow area.

If you see some cells turn RED then you may want to figure out what to do so the RED goes away.

Here is another link I use:
5th Wheels:
Actual Weights - Fifth Wheel Weights from CAT Scales - TowingPlanner
Travel Trailers:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - TowingPlanner
You'll find better CAT Scale instructions on these pages too.

To find a local CAT Scale use this link:
https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:34 PM   #11

Thank you for the information,

I am looking to get it to nearest CAT scale as soon as possible to plug this values in . Great worksheets!
Old 05-30-2024, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
No, but that’s something I will be definitely look in to right now. Thanks for the recommendation, I know that they won’t improve it will just smooth my ride which I will appreciate.

One more thing, when I was towing I am feeling that TT is pushing me from behind, now I used most of the time cruise control when I was riding. I set my gain on 6.5. Is that normal that TT is pushing me?
What you describe could be too much tongue weight too. If this happens this will make your steering lite to the road surface and can be squirrely to steer. A simple Helwig spring is easy to install and makes a big difference if you get the pressure on your U- bolts set up properly for the extra support. Coupled with the WDH setup, the two will make you think you are driving a new vehicle at pennies spent.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:42 PM   #13

Newer heard of this one before but I am definitely getting it.
My wife is not having it, she is drawing all the worst case scenarios that can happen. She wants me to go look at trucks tomorrow.
I hate it, hate it, hate itÖ.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Newer heard of this one before but I am definitely getting it.
My wife is not having it, she is drawing all the worst case scenarios that can happen. She wants me to go look at trucks tomorrow.
I hate it, hate it, hate it….
Well Whatever Mama wants, I guess you will be looking for a new truck. But sometimes we just do a few tweaks to our current tow vehicle, especially if its new or really late model with minimal miles on it and we were fine. I have a non-slide camper myself, but the 23 RB model, which is just a few hundred pounds less than your TT. I towed with a 5.0, which had a lot less power across the Rocky Mountain peaks using some care with a larger 24 slide camper that was 700 lbs more dry and we did okay.

The single Helwig made the truck like a new one as it relates to handling. Big rig trucks passing up was less than a half of an issue with sway. My mileage was decent and without towing more acceptable than if we would have upgraded to a 250.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight 23 View Post
What you describe could be too much tongue weight too. If this happens this will make your steering lite to the road surface and can be squirrely to steer. A simple Helwig spring is easy to install and makes a big difference if you get the pressure on your U- bolts set up properly for the extra support. Coupled with the WDH setup, the two will make you think you are driving a new vehicle at pennies spent.
Was just going to post about that spring. I had to call a trailer shop to ask a few questions about my set-up and they mentioned that spring.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 08:46 AM   #16

I hope that will help with our situation too. Just curious what kind of rig do you have?
Old 05-31-2024, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank you for the information,

I am looking to get it to nearest CAT scale as soon as possible to plug this values in . Great worksheets!
I really like Stan&Sharrons spreadsheet, very detailed, I will have to try it.
I am attaching a link to a thread I started on my new Jayco Jay Flight 274bh as it had an example of what I did when I picked up my trailer. I wanted a base weight of trailer so I did the first one totally empty to verify Jayco's stated weight.

You did not give enough detail about your truck so the Ram towing page you attached to one of your post may not be the right one. Is your truck the exact model shown in the header? Each different model
Tradesman, Bighorn, Limited, etc, and depending on cab, bed length, 2x4 or 4x4 will have a different payload and different towing capacity. You have to get the payload off of your truck sticker and deduct any options you may have added like bed cover or running boards etc. Typically the payload is the limiting factor, not the towing capacity. The towing guides account for one 150lb driver and all fluids. Everything else needs to be deducted off of payload. You may be over your payload or rear axle weight rating depending on your tongue weight and what's loaded in your truck.

Here's the link to my truck trailer weigh-in. I haven't finished this thread, once I am fully loaded for a trip, I will be back at the scales and enter the new data.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1152740
RRS 274bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:14 AM   #18

I'm not a half ton fan. The fact that you've got suspension adjustments to make even though your weight is way below"capacity" is one reason. But you've got good wheel base numbers and not pulling a lot of weight. You should be okay.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayflight 23 View Post
Not sure, but the Ramís have a coil spring rear suspension and the Helwig helper springs are for leaf spring rear suspensions are they not? I used Tuftruck springs on our truck to beef things up a bit in the rear, with a Helwig sway bar.
damaltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
Not sure, but the Ramís have a coil spring rear suspension and the Helwig helper springs are for leaf spring rear suspensions are they not? I used Tuftruck springs on our truck to beef things up a bit in the rear, with a Helwig sway bar.
Its possible. But I think several active topics included several trucks and the setup probably were lumped into my consideration of some improvements in handling and steering.