Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
When I buy a new vehicle, my #1 concern is what's the towing capacity. Gasoline fuel mileage is about #11 on my top 10 must have list.

Also, I see Teslas can be a bit pricey. For those that own one I would have to ask if they are actually cost effective? In other words, when you pay big bucks to buy it, and of course you save tons of money not having to buy gas, but when you add the cost of electric usage at your house, what would be the cost comparison if you bought a similar auto (cheaper capital of course) but put gas in it instead?

I understand its more than cost, (and I AM a tree hugger) because we want to keep the planet clean, but in my case my local power is generated from a coal fired power plant, if that makes an difference.
We actually bought the model Y as my wife's daily driver. It just turned out to be a great TV for our favorite campspots.

As for the cost, I find it to be competitive with other cars in it's class. We used to spend $800/mo in gas and now spend $200 more in electricity. We are going solar which will cover all our electrical needs, but the ROI on the solar panels is 5 years. After that it's gravy. It is great not having to go to the gas station or deal with engine/transmission maintenance of any sort.

You bring up a good point about the coal fired plants. There are lots of great videos on youtube that go over all the numbers in detail. Overall, electric cars are better for the environment across the board, but there are some states where you might be better off with a fuel efficient car.
TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
We went to Carls Jr. today for lunch. They have a Tesla charging station there with about 6 chargers. All were occupied, with about another 8 cars waiting. While inside getting burgers a couple of “T” driver were complaining they had been there an hour and a half and were next in line for a charger, hopefully within the next hour.

Geez, what a waste of time just to save a few bucks on gas! Every hour waiting just increases your trip time to a ridiculous amount. One car had three little kids in it…imagine how that trip must have been!

How did the cold weather at Big Bear affect your batteries?

Might be a great idea someday, but I have no interest in jockeying for a charger every couple of hours.

That sound awful! The tesla navigation will show you all of your charging options along the way and also show available spots. If they are full, it also tells you the average wait time. I just avoid the crowded ones and move on the the next charger on my route. It's been a non issue for me. I love Carl's Jr. but I'd never wait that long at a supercharger.

It dropped to 33 F in Big Bear, but it warmed up quickly in the day. I think it's mostly the east coast that needs to worry about the extended freezing temps.

I also never jockey for a charger every couple hours. We charge at home every night and the chargers near our camp spots are not crowded. I'll take this over filling gas at $5 a gallon any day. It's great for our current needs, but I would never consider towing cross country with the tesla. It's just not practical.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Here's the answer for electric vehicles- exchangable batteries. You pull into a certified battery station, they roll yours out with a pallet jack, and roll a fresh one in. You're refueled in a minute!

It solves the waiting problem, and helps with the grid problem. Only the stations need the massive power connections, not the entire grid.
That would be awesome! The Superchargers get me to 80% in 15 min which is just enough time to finish a burger and watch a couple youtube video's. It would great to have swappable batteries for people in a rush. Might not be easy with those batteries weighing over 1000 lbs though!
Old 11-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
….but I'd never wait that long at a supercharger
That one is in Kingman, AZ, right off of I-40. It’s the main highway between California and Flagstaff. I think it’s the only charger in Kingman, and nothing in either direction for at least 100 miles, so if your remaining battery level won’t get you to the next charger I guess you have no choice but to wait.

Unless, you are towing a generator……

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #25

Quote:
That one is in Kingman, AZ, right off of I-40. It’s the main highway between California and Flagstaff. I think it’s the only charger in Kingman, and nothing in either direction for at least 100 miles, so if your remaining battery level won’t get you to the next charger I guess you have no choice but to wait.

Yup.. If you are an out of state traveler and have no other choices, you will have to wait. I'm looking at the tesla charger map and I could easily avoid Kingman if I wasn't towing but looks like I'll have to wait for the cybertruck to get me through there with my trailer.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Geez, what a waste of time just to save a few bucks on gas!
I wondered how California makes its electricity, so I looked up 2020's statistics.
"Non-Renewables and Unspecified" fuels was the largest source, then Natural Gas.
Then I looked at the electricity that it imports. "Non-Renewables and Unspecified" fuels was the largest source, then "unspecified", Natural Gas, Coal and Nuclear were the highest fuel sources.

Tesla is a neat little idea, but the conservation theory is completely nonsense. My diesel truck creates less pollution and is more efficient for towing than electric right now, and potentially for the foreseeable future.

And we haven't even started talking about environmental damage caused by making batteries and then disposing of them.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I wondered how California makes its electricity, so I looked up 2020's statistics.
"Non-Renewables and Unspecified" fuels was the largest source, then Natural Gas.
Then I looked at the electricity that it imports. "Non-Renewables and Unspecified" fuels was the largest source, then "unspecified", Natural Gas, Coal and Nuclear were the highest fuel sources.

Tesla is a neat little idea, but the conservation theory is completely nonsense. My diesel truck creates less pollution and is more efficient for towing than electric right now, and potentially for the foreseeable future.

And we haven't even started talking about environmental damage caused by making batteries and then disposing of them.
Totally agree with you. Diesels are awesome if you are towing!

As for Tesla being a "neat little idea", I would suggest checking out their sales and market cap. You might be surprised.

We can also talk about the environmental damage caused by making batteries, but that has been very well covered. On average EV's win in the long run. That includes the power generated from coal plants. Here's one video that quickly explains it, but there is a ton of info online.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #28

Forget the mileage and charging issues. You can’t put a price on the thrill of that skinny pedal in a Tesla.

Rode in a Model S Plaid out in Santa Monica a few months back… never felt acceleration like that in a car. Motorcycle fast. Sport bike fast. Even a buddy’s Y was downright ridiculous. If I weren’t towing giant cheaply built house behind me, I’d have one or at least strongly consider it. Maybe keep a gas vehicle on hand too being I live in Texas and charging would be a challenge outside the major cities.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Forget the mileage and charging issues. You can’t put a price on the thrill of that skinny pedal in a Tesla.

Rode in a Model S Plaid out in Santa Monica a few months back… never felt acceleration like that in a car. Motorcycle fast. Sport bike fast. Even a buddy’s Y was downright ridiculous. If I weren’t towing giant cheaply built house behind me, I’d have one or at least strongly consider it. Maybe keep a gas vehicle on hand too being I live in Texas and charging would be a challenge outside the major cities.
Yah the acceleration is exhilarating. Our Model 3 is the fastest car I've ever owned. No need to engage launch mode, press brake pedal, gas it to 3k rpm and release brake. That was fun in it's own way, but I love being able to floor it take off like a rocket without making a ton of noise and peeling out. The traction control with all wheel drive is just insane.

So jealous you got to ride in the Plaid! 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is just ridiculous.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:56 PM   #30

First time i've heard of a Tesla being used as a tow vehicle. Thanks for your report! The electric utility I work for has a Hyundai Kona EV in their pool fleet. I occasionally use this when my company truck is in for service. It is a pure blast to drive: 0-60 RIGHT NOW! LOL
Maine is starting to sprout EV charging stations. I suspect the DW and will add an EV to our fleet someday. This spring, I will be adding a 200 Amp electric service drop to our new shed. Will be used to power the shed, our camper and future EV charging stations.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:23 PM   #31

Quote:

Actually there are a couple of new ones...

The Smiths on Stockton Hill/Airway has new chargers - lit up bright neon green at night along the side of Stockton Hill...

And the irony of the Tesla chargers at the Carls (at the cluster of Beale and I40) is that of the 6 chargers, one is Handicap ONLY parking. Then another 150 miles until the next one in Flagstaff...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:43 PM   #32

Your right, forgot about that one, it’s fairly new. So those are for Tesla’s only? Where do the Chevy’s and Fords go? Can a Ford use a Tesla charger and Vice Versa? Does the range go down at night when the lights are on, or the AC in summer? Lots of questions…..

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:27 PM   #33
Site Team

What makes the cabin heat when it's cold?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Your right, forgot about that one, it’s fairly new. So those are for Tesla’s only? Where do the Chevy’s and Fords go? Can a Ford use a Tesla charger and Vice Versa? Does the range go down at night when the lights are on, or the AC in summer? Lots of questions…..
For now, only Tesla's can use the Superchargers. When you pull up, it identifies your car and bills your credit card on file. Then the car display shows the dollar amount and charging time. Another car would need a tesla adapter and maybe some software to use the supercharger. I read that Tesla may start allowing other manufacturers to use their charging network.

Ford and Chevy owners can use 3rd party chargers, I avoid them because they are normally lower kilowatt which means longer charge time. I also don't have the apps and accounts setup to use these chargers which makes it a pain. The 3rd party fast charging network is growing though. Most ev charging is done at home.

I sat in a parking lot with the ac blowing for almost an hour and it took 2 miles off my range. I think the heater uses much more battery life.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
What makes the cabin heat when it's cold?
Heat pump. It's integrated with the ac. Not famaliar with how it all works. Great question though. I'll have to look it up!
Old 11-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #36

Here's a fun video of a tesla model x towing an Alfa Roemo while racing an Alfa Romeo.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #37

Thanks for sharing your expierance. EV's will only get better with time. JB Staubel is already recycling the battery packs and re using the lithium, cobalt etc...
Exciting times are ahead.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #38

Thanks for sharing!

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #39

The F150 Lightning is coming! American investment in chargers too! Thanks for the report.
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #40

What is the cost to use these Superchargers?

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote