Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #41

Beyond battery usage, my concern would be payload, gvwr and gcwr. Just because you can tow something doesn't mean it's safe to do it. When I had to deal with my truck/camper purchase, nobody knew nothing but everyone said "yeah, that should work". Easy answer when it's not YOUR Family/TV/Camper.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleebrock View Post
The F150 Lightning is coming! American investment in chargers too! Thanks for the report.
Yes! It looks awesome too. I personally wouldn't consider it until there is a comparable supercharger network, but it looks like Ford did an amazing job with it.
TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
What is the cost to use these Superchargers?
Out here it is about $0.22 per kWh which works out to around 5 cents per mile. It's about half that to charge at home. Once our solar is installed and we get past our 5 year ROI, it will cost nothing to charge our 2 teslas at home
Old 12-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Beyond battery usage, my concern would be payload, gvwr and gcwr. Just because you can tow something doesn't mean it's safe to do it. When I had to deal with my truck/camper purchase, nobody knew nothing but everyone said "yeah, that should work". Easy answer when it's not YOUR Family/TV/Camper.
Good point. I learned so much on this forum when I first started towing with our minivan. I can assure you the Model Y is well suited to tow the 184bh. Here is my original thread on this topic.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...van-16161.html
Old 12-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #45

I really love the idea of EVs. There's a new company coming to market, Asperta, which is pretty promising for those of us who don't need so much room to roam about 99% of the time. It's self-charging with solar panels, extremely efficient in other ways and they have an interest in tent/car camping which I thought was awesome!

I watched another YouTuber tow his Casita 17' with a Model Y and thought it would be fantastic. Out here in Washington, I've seen three at campgrounds, including Kalaloch near the Olympic National Park, and a few in Redmond and Seattle towing speedboats around! And why not?!

Our goal is to be 100% off-grid at some point. Will Prowse charges his Telsa 3 with solar panels, and he has a major solar setup to do so. I love where his head is at. When we will no longer have to worry about charging stations while we're close to home or where our power is coming from, that will be the time for us to strike! For longer trips, we'll simply plan accordingly and make it a part of the trip.

There is also a company out there, Solar Team Eindhoven, who has successfully made a prototype in Europe of a 100% off grid camper, and that's just awesome. Nothing is without limitations, of course, but that's where I'd like to me myself! Less noise, less maintenance, less cost, more freedom!

I see the pros and cons, and for us I see more pros than cons. We will one day own one, but I can see why it's not the best tool for the job for everyone. It's just a tool at the end of the day. A very pretty, silent, fast tool.
BernieMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #46

I prefer hybrid vehicles. Is your Tesla a 2022 or 2021? Does it have a backup alarm? my wife just test drove a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid and I was surprised it had a backup alarm. When I asked the salesman if it can be shut off he said no. It is a government mandate because in hybrid mode it don’t make any noise. So I assume new electric cars have to have them. The backup alarm is very aggravating. Can you imagine it in a campground or your neighborhood. Especially when your sleeping. I was planning on getting a F150 hybrid, but now am wondering about aggravating others.
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpavette View Post
I prefer hybrid vehicles. Is your Tesla a 2022 or 2021? Does it have a backup alarm? my wife just test drove a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid and I was surprised it had a backup alarm. When I asked the salesman if it can be shut off he said no. It is a government mandate because in hybrid mode it don’t make any noise. So I assume new electric cars have to have them. The backup alarm is very aggravating. Can you imagine it in a campground or your neighborhood. Especially when your sleeping. I was planning on getting a F150 hybrid, but now am wondering about aggravating others.
We have a 2019 and 2022. Both of them have pedestrian warning noise when backing up. It's a UFO like sound that I actually like a lot. See the video at 1:45 to hear what it sounds like.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #48

Great real-life report. Perhaps the moderators can flag it prominently so others can find it easily.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #49

Payload ?

The listed payload for the Model Y is 1.157 max.

Did that present a problem ?
saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunterr44 View Post
The listed payload for the Model Y is 1.157 max.

Did that present a problem ?
My wife and I weigh less than 300 lbs combined. I'm guessing the tongue weight is around 300 lbs with loaded trailer, but I never tested it. I didn't weigh the camping table and chairs, but I knew we would be fine. We store everything else in the trailer.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...go-stress-test
Old 12-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #51

Quote:
What is the cost to use these Superchargers?
$0.26 / minute or $0.28/kwh
here are some sources:

https://www.compare.com/electric-car...rcharging-cost

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger-idle-fee
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #52

If it’s already been asked then I apologize, but can you trickle charge your EV using solar on the travel trailer or foldable panels? If you were boondocking for a week and hiking or backpacking, letting the EV charge from solar might get you to full batteries?
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #53

Man, I wish I could get on the Tesla bandwagon... but I can't just yet.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #54

The technology is nowhere near a level that makes it attractive to me. Maybe someday, but not soon.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #55

Nice report. Thanks for posting that. I'm very interested in EVs. Just not in purchasing a Tesla. They are a lot like Apple, which I also dislike, everything is proprietary and they don't want any customers working on thier stuff. Goes against everything I was raised with, and being a computer technical analyst, goes against what I know and do every day.

That said, Tesla is way ahead of everyone else and while not perfect, have the charging grid in hand. There's a lesson to be learned there. Ford and GM are NOT going to be all EV by 2035 unless they grasp the need to be involved in building that infrastructure.

I also believe we have at least 10 years to go before towing ability gets us farther than 100 miles before a charge is needed. Especially where full size trucks and large trailers are considered. This youtube is an eye opener, keep in mind Jason Finske loves Teslas and he owns one.

https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobdeep View Post
If it’s already been asked then I apologize, but can you trickle charge your EV using solar on the travel trailer or foldable panels? If you were boondocking for a week and hiking or backpacking, letting the EV charge from solar might get you to full batteries?
Yes you can. You'll need to plug the tesla charger into your inverter. Keep in mind, it will be a very slow charge.

On a sunny day, a single 330 watt panel will provide about 2 kWh per day. If my calculations are correct, that works out to about 8 miles of range per day. If you are camping for a week, you'll gain 56 miles of extra range.

Hopefully someone will chime in if my numbers are off, but they should be pretty close.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Nice report. Thanks for posting that. I'm very interested in EVs. Just not in purchasing a Tesla. They are a lot like Apple, which I also dislike, everything is proprietary and they don't want any customers working on thier stuff. Goes against everything I was raised with, and being a computer technical analyst, goes against what I know and do every day.

That said, Tesla is way ahead of everyone else and while not perfect, have the charging grid in hand. There's a lesson to be learned there. Ford and GM are NOT going to be all EV by 2035 unless they grasp the need to be involved in building that infrastructure.

I also believe we have at least 10 years to go before towing ability gets us farther than 100 miles before a charge is needed. Especially where full size trucks and large trailers are considered. This youtube is an eye opener, keep in mind Jason Finske loves Teslas and he owns one.

https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs
That's a great video and explains exactly why EVs are not of any interest to me. Tow rating, range and time to "refuel" are the big stumbling blocks.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #58

Quote:
That's a great video and explains exactly why EVs are not of any interest to me. Tow rating, range and time to "refuel" are the big stumbling blocks.
That recharge time is a killer for me. Where EVs shine is city use. I'd love to have one for my daily commute. Drive all day, charge at home.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That recharge time is a killer for me. Where EVs shine is city use. I'd love to have one for my daily commute. Drive all day, charge at home.
We occasionally tow our 12000+# RV for 550 miles to visit family. Now we get on the road at 5:30 am and arrive about 3:30pm with a few fuel stops. With an EV, even if it could haul the load, that trip would require 4-5 charge stops. If a charge can be done in 30 minutes that makes it a two day trip each way. Just not practical. They may be in our future but not our near future. Daily drivers may be a different thing.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 12-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #60

Quote:
We occasionally tow our 12000+# RV for 550 miles to visit family. Now we get on the road at 5:30 am and arrive about 3:30pm with a few fuel stops. With an EV, even if it could haul the load, that trip would require 4-5 charge stops. If a charge can be done in 30 minutes that makes it a two day trip each way. Just not practical. They may be in our future but not our near future. Daily drivers may be a different thing.
I personally don't see technology improving that much in the near future to accomplish what you need. In that case, maybe our "future" amounts to not pulling heavy RVs for long distances.

Maybe the "future" is parking the RV at a site and camping in one place, not traveling around the country.

Please don't think I'm advocating that life style. If it comes to that it will be the govmt that makes us do it...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote