Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
X2
Yes, I want my TPMS to have only one job with no competing tasks when it needs my attention. A few posts earlier I commented on my tire failures. The first one was the entire tread separating from the tire. When the monitor starting squealing I instinctively looked in my rear view and saw the huge piece of tread flopping down the highway behind us and a car following a little too close trying to find a way to avoid it. I dove for the shoulder and got the fig stopped before any collateral damage.
As I said I want my TPMS on the job.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That's precisely why I don't have that one. My smartphone is busy while we are on the road, tires pressures are worth a dedicated monitor IMO.

Mine doesn't use the phone. I have a dedicated unit that sits on the dash

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #23
crl

As always - Good advice given

Many thanks for all the great comments and personal experience recommendations. I can always find good information from the members of this forum. I think I can move ahead with a purchase now based on your feedback.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #24

I have the TST 507 screw on type and monochrome screen, gives me peace of mind. The color screen is about $30 more but gives no additional benefit. I have seen the aftermath of an undetected blowout and it was not pretty. Any of the top brands is money well spent.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #25

We love our TST. Here's a great vendor to look at getting it from...

https://www.technorv.com/tst-cap-sys...to-12-sensors/
Forestville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
Yes, you'll get lots of opinions - here's mine...... I have a sub 100 dollar system from Amazon. It has a solar powered (also USB) display and 4 sensors. I put metal valve stems in the trailer tires on my 29RKS. I don't obsessively monitor tire pressures, all I wanted was an audible warning when I have a pressure drop or blowout. I do check actual pressures and temps before beginning towing, and during fuel stops, otherwise, the display sits in a tray on the dashboard. The audible warning is very loud, the tire pressures accurate and the distance between tire sensors and display unit 32', no need for a repeater on my unit. I will be replacing the tire sensor batteries this spring, but they have lasted three years. I didn't need to spend a lot of money to get me "basic" pressure monitoring, and my "budget" system has given me that.
Same here - towed about 1,000 miles so far with this solution and happy with it. Takes a few minutes for all 4 tires to register, and and then from there, I can see when tire temps creep up, and also keep an eye on pressures.

I check my tires before each trip, and I don't have the miles some have logged, but think it is a reasonable compromise without spending a fortune.

Mine came setup to monitor up to 6 tires, but since I only had 4 tires, I have a few spares :-)

here is my amazon one, there are a lot of options, so ultimately I picked one that had a lot of positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use our 5th wheel roughly 3-4 months out of the year, traveling between 300-500 miles per trip, this year is a bit crazy due to covid, we're actually living in it for a few months for various reasons, so i broke down & bought the TPMS, a camco heated hose, extra propane tank, and more tools than I'd usually use, just in case.

Stay safe out there, watching the news today and can't believe some of what I'm seeing!
Joshuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #27

Do not buy Hawkshead TPMS from Canada. Three of four failures I have had resulted in the TPMS happily sitting there reporting that everything was OK. Thier customer service suggested that I upgrade the system to their new one and they would give me 10% off. I did not.
jghflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #28

TPMS another vote for TST

TST flawless and many many thousand miles between 5er, and snowmobile trailer.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #29

There are many systems out there, but I researched many and landed on TST for us. Have been using it for about 18 months and many trips and the peace of mind it gives is worth the investment, IMHO. I purchased from eTrailer.com—can’t say enough good things about this company—they are the best!
Old 01-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #30

Been using the TST system for 10 years. Would not use anything else
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #31

I had something similar happen to me a few years back. We blew-out a tire and I didn't notice. You really can't see your wheels when running down the highway at 65MPH. As in your case, a fellow RVer pulled up beside us and honked and pointed. It would have been a simple tire change but I didn't have the right lug wrench for the camper lug nuts. We had to call AAA and have them come change the tire. The tires were about 10 years old, not a lot of miles on them but I guess age was the culprit.

I'd like some kind of monitoring system but all I really need is an indication of a blow-out. A blue-tooth connection from the sensors to my phone would be all I need.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #32

TPS ststem

I use the TST system. I have a 43’ toy hauler so I had to use the repeater that comes with it. I purchased it after a blowout that cost me a $250 tire, but $900 in damage to the trailer. About a year after the install I had picked up a nail and the alarm went off allowing me to slow down and pull off before the tire shred apart. Well worth the price. I bought mine on Amazon. I purchased and 6 pac for my dually, then and extra 4 for the trailer. I would recommend if available using nitrogen in your tires. I found as I use it in the winter, I’d wake up in the cold mornings and my alarm would go off for low tire pressure till they warmed up. Nitrogen doesn’t change pressure with temperature.
Hope this helps,
Enjoy and happy travels
Bill29456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill29456 View Post
I use the TST system. I have a 43’ toy hauler so I had to use the repeater that comes with it. I purchased it after a blowout that cost me a $250 tire, but $900 in damage to the trailer. About a year after the install I had picked up a nail and the alarm went off allowing me to slow down and pull off before the tire shred apart. Well worth the price. I bought mine on Amazon. I purchased and 6 pac for my dually, then and extra 4 for the trailer. I would recommend if available using nitrogen in your tires. I found as I use it in the winter, I’d wake up in the cold mornings and my alarm would go off for low tire pressure till they warmed up. Nitrogen doesn’t change pressure with temperature.
Hope this helps,
Enjoy and happy travels
I just took delivery of a new F-350 which as a trailer TPMS in addition to the truck’s system. Anyone have any experience with this unit? It requires changing out the valve stems on the trailer with the Ford factory stems. The stems send wireless data to a trailer-mounted relay which, in turn, is hardwired to the truck’s dash display. The wiring is part of the separate harness that Ford has for the trailer-mounted backup camera and the trailer backup assist system. I have used this latter system on a previous truck and really like it. However, the trailer TPMS is something new. Again, anyone have any experience with this system?
Yooper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #34

I have used the Tireminder with no issues. I do suggest the repeater. I monitored the T-30F tires & the truck tires with it. As for "tying up the phone", the app can run in the background & will come to the foreground when there is an alert. I had this happen on I-17S when it lost contact with one of the sensors & it thought pressure went to zero. Alarm sounded & app came up to main phone screen showing issue. Within 15 sec sensor reconnected & issue cleared. I took off the sensors at the RV park & reinstalled when leaving. Thinking, 1) I did not have that one as tight as needed, or 2) Tire (& external) temp /pressure change from high elevation to low (mountains down to Phx. area in early summer), or maybe a combination of all three. After that one time I have never had an issue. Their service & support are also VERY good.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #35

Once you installed TMPS, dont let it lead your live.
You must know what it does, and what it does not do. And dont react wrong on the info tmps gives.

For instance, if you see a high pressure when 90 degr outside temperature, dont go lowering the pressure to the cold pressure you determined best. Even if it goes over the maximum pressure given on tire, or belonging to loadrange.

And the external sensors are worthles in the temperature reading. But you can calculate it back from the pressure reading. I can make a list for you, once the right pressure advice is determined.

Only sudden pressure loss warning is direct usefull for safety.

But I would like to calculate a pressure for your tires, if you give me the information for that. Mayby it then will explain why your enduance tire blew.

Can be your tires blew, because the pressure was to low for the higher loadrange, or that the TT maker, only had 10% reserve for 65mph and that is still to the edges.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I have the TST. Didn't pay this much an I can't remember where I got it but anyway

https://www.etrailer.com/TPMS-Sensor...07-FT-4-C.html
I'll second this. It does take it quite a while to sync up all the sensors when you first turn it on. I would guess 15-20 minutes. It'll go about 3 days on all the time on a single charge though. Make sure you have metal valve stems if you get the flow thru sensors.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #37

watch where you park

my flow thru tire monitors walked away at a campground while we were gone. that was expensive.
Snowmanmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #38

Tire blow out

I have the tst system and luckily for me . I had a tire go down and the alert sounded before tire and fifth wheel got destroyed
Rwollfy233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #39

Bellacorp is the best
john24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #40

Which TPMS

As far as I know I am the only person that has run a direct comparison of two different systems and published the data of the results. As a tire design engineer I also have worked with many applications of TPMS for car companies so I know the importance of this important safety system.
I would make a couple recommendations:
1. Make sure the seller knows what an RV is. Some sellers do not have personal knowledge of the needs of RV owners so are not capable of answering your questions. These are usually just big retailers.
2. Consider the length of the warranty not just the purchase price.
3. Can you program the system for your personal specific needs for YOUR RV?