Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #21

The flowthru and the caps have locks on them and you use a special tool to install them. The flow thru you can air anytime but they are longer and weight more. The caps you have to remove with a tool ea. time you add air. You can remove the locks so no tool needed if your not worried about anyone stealing them. The flow thru can be used on any tire but you may want to use metal stems and have tires balanced after putting them on due to extra weight.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:24 AM   #22

If you are correct, my apologies. I was taught this when I was doing research by a salesperson in a store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Uhhh... I don't think that's an accurate description of a flowthrough TPMS sensor; previous descriptions were more accurate. It's a sensor that allows you to put air in the tire without removing the TPMS 'cap'. You may be thinking of "valve extenders".

Roger
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:53 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I seriously doubt that a metal cap would have damaged a rubber valve stem unless it was already on the way out due to old age and weather. A TPMS sensor is likely to damage a rubber, despite all the claims you may see from people that they haven;t had problems running a TPMS sensor on their rubber stems. Play it safe and use metal valve stems with TPMS sensors.
My TST RV510 system is now a dinosaur, but it preforms as when new 5 years ago. I never needed any kind of repeater on my 38' rig.

Shortly after using it for less than a year, I noticed occasional low pressure on various tires. A discussion with TST and I changed over to short metal valve stems. Never had any problems since. I am sure the motion of the rubber stems was causing loss of air from the force of the sensor on the ends of them.

Another problem solved was the installation of the sensors. To loose and the sensor did not push the Schrader valve down enough for the sensor to work, to tight and it rolled up the gasket on the sensor causing a leak. It's a experience thing learning how tight from the feel when installing it. I hardly ever remove mine to check pressure anymore, unless there is a great change in temperature.

I'm know that nitrogen has a minimal effect on tires on a rv. Don't waste your money. Unless you want the tire man to make it easier to send his kids to college.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I'm know that nitrogen has a minimal effect on tires on a rv. Don't waste your money. Unless you want the tire man to make it easier to send his kids to college.
I use a special blend that's about 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and some additional small percentages of things like argon and carbon dioxide. Works great, and it's pretty cheap if you can find it.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #25

I think I'm breathing that blend right now. You're right. It's great stuff but I find it that it's tougher to locate at higher elevations. He, he, he...

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #26

Quote:
I use a special blend that's about 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and some additional small percentages of things like argon and carbon dioxide. Works great, and it's pretty cheap if you can find it.

Roger
That stuff is WAY too expensive in California... it has to be certified and tested now by a special government inspector who works for the CARB.

07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
If you are correct, my apologies. I was taught this when I was doing research by a salesperson in a store.
Most salespeople don't know beans about what they are selling. Many will tell you anything to get you to buy.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
That stuff is WAY too expensive in California... it has to be certified and tested now by a special government inspector who works for the CARB.

That's not too far from the truth! CA is so over regulated, it isn't even funny. Not only do you have to get a permit to scratch your backside, you have to get one to scratch it sideways and another one to scratch it up and down.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:47 AM   #29

The first mod I had done was stopping on the way home with our barely 1 hour old 330RSTS to have metal valve stems installed to accommodate my new TST507 setup.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:01 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegria View Post
I have a related question. A couple years ago I discovered a missing valve cap on one of our truck tires, so I replaced it with one from a truck stop that was shiny metal with a purple sparkle on it. Recently my husband was told at the shop that the heavier valve cap damaged the valve stem and it now needed to be replaced. If this is true, how does the heavier cap/sensor of a TPMS work without damaging the valve stem and tire? Or was that shop guy full of it?
It's the types of metal used on the cap and the valve stem. I'm not a scientist here, but the two types of metals don't mesh, causing the valve stem to corrode. Use good old plastic caps. Henry Ford used them, and they worked all these years!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Word from the dealers who were in Vegas a few weeks ago to view some of the new GM products, the upcoming 2019 Silverado will have an app on the infotainment system that will work with TPMS on your RV. That's all the info they had.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:

Roger
I carry a compressor that has a endless supply of it!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I carry a compressor that has a endless supply of it!
Lol, My compressor premix is set to keep the ratio anywhere between 19.5 to 23 percent oxygen and 80.5 to 77 percent nitrogen. I find this ratio optimal for all my inflation needs
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststandard View Post
I too just purchased the TST 507 with the color monitor and the 4 cap system for my trailer. Got it earlier today from Tweety's for $296.
Quote:
So did I, was very happy with their service. Product shipping and waiting for it to arrive.
Add me to the list. I just placed my order from Tweety's too.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #35

Thanks for the information on the metal stems. The literature says they work with both metal and rubber. Why did you move to metal stems. Thanks
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for the information on the metal stems. The literature says they work with both metal and rubber. Why did you move to metal stems. Thanks
We’re running with rubber stems. The weight of our non-flow through sensors with the theft resistant pieces just doesn’t add a lot of weight on the stems.

However, we’re also running on new tires and new stems.

Cost-wise, I just couldn’t justify breaking down the tires to replace the stems.

That being said, however, when we go to replace these tires we will be getting metal stems.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #37
Site Team

On my setup, I started getting low pressure alarms from time to time and they were low pressure. TST said to go to metal stems.

No more problems in years.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #38

TLMS s good investment.
blacklabbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #39

Just installed my TST 507 system today along with new Goodyear Endurance tires. I cannot believe how much better my trailer tows with the new tires. This is a sweet setup.
faststandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststandard View Post
Just installed my TST 507 system today along with new Goodyear Endurance tires. I cannot believe how much better my trailer tows with the new tires. This is a sweet setup.
I'm taking our 1st trip with new Endurance tires and TST 507 as well today, a short trip of 50 miles one way but it's camping. Makes the wife happy.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmps