Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Trade-In Price

Hey guys just curious as to what everyone who has traded in an Jayco Jayflight the wife and I are probably going to get rid of ours. It's a 31BHS just trying to see what some have may gotten for them.
31JayFlightJayco06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

Don't have any specific about your model, but my experience is that you will be better off selling your RV yourself and negotiating your best price straight up with the dealer on the new unit. The dealer might offer you a higher allowance for your used rv, but the net deal will not be as good as negotiating a discount straight up. Dealers are good at slight of hand but the truth is in the bottom line. You can typically get a 30% discount on a new unit. Get that number for the one you are buying and then ask them for a quote for buying your old unit.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

My trailer is almost 2 years old. Trade offers I got range from 65% - 80% of my original purchase price from 2014. I paid $20,600 a year and a half ago. Been offered from $13,000 - $17,000 for the trade now. The range comes down to the package deal on the new rig. If I pay what the dealer wants for their rig, they will give me more on my trade. If I get down to the bottom dollar on the new rig, the dealer is giving me bottom dollar on the trade.

I agree that you probably will come out better if you sell your trailer out right. However, if you have not been able to sell it on your own, I think you are better off trading it off.

Better trade and be rid of it, than hold it and keep paying insurance, registration, maybe storage, and maintenance on a trailer you don't need and cant sell. In my opinion, I would rather take less on a trade in, than risk more expenses to hold out for a few hundred, or couple thousand more on a private party sale. My storage is 8 miles away and I'm not sure I want to bring a bunch of strangers into the storage facility.

Good luck.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Depends on your situation and location. I advertised my used TT at a fair price for condition and age on a local shopping online network and sold it the day after the add ran. Sold it for less than the dealer was "offering" but like the previous post, the dealer wanted me to pay close to the asking price for the new TT. Purchased online and sold in my back yard. Saved $5000 on the combined deal. Just like trading in a car, you are always better off buying the new one straight up unless your trade in is a very desirable vehicle that the dealer knows he can make money on.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Rob Church
Another valuable tool can be found here: NADA Guides RV pricing
Rob Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Hello all,
My experience is sell it yourself and then hit the dealer. Dealers give you the lowest or even under the lowest of blue book. If your units in really good shape you have all the records on it (maintenance) you can get more for it selling it yourself. We had a Jay Flight 199 we sold and made a small profit after the payoff added some savings and got a new bigger unit. We also went to a dealer closer to the manufacturing plant and saved even more.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #7

My father in law gets a new trailer every 5 or so years.. He goes to dealer and negotiates price on new trailer and gets as low as possible.. Then he asks " and what if was to trade this in". Knowing what he wants for the trade in, he then negotiates the trade in and makes them apply it to the already negotiated price of the new unit.. Works pretty good for,him as he always get great deals..
I wish I brought him with me when I bought my trailer.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

I traded my 2005 Sunnybrook Solanta 3310BH for my incoming Jay Flight 38FDDS. I'm sure I could have done better selling it on my own, but I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. The Sunnybrook is located 130 miles from home and I didn't want to have to make multiple trips to entertain tire kickers and the like, so I decided to just trade it in. As with trading in car, I'll save some money on sales tax as the sale price on the new rig is substantially lower with the trade. If I had easier access to my Sunnybrook, I probably would have at least tried to sell it outright.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

I would recommend you estimate the number of years you expect to keep the new unit and then estimate the private and trade-in values at that time. With some research you can find out how to do this. You should not be surprised as to what the value of your unit is at any time, but mostly it is much lower than people assume who don't do the research, particularly going through a dealer who has to add profit and some cushion for market demand or lack thereof.

Taking a step to the side...This discussion draws out a couple of other issues worth a thought. Buying used, whether a tt, 5th or motorhome, is the most financially sharp/astute pencil method.

For motorhomes, and this applies to tt with some adjustment: 1) the first worthwhile step down in value, that buyers tend to congregate around, is with the gently used units, which is about 2 to 3 years out, 2) the next is out there around 7 to 8 years, and then 3) around twelve years out. A used unit can easily be significantly upgraded for a relatively minimal cost.

The chassis is where the real value is regardless of the house quality. If you look at for example a B+ class. The Mercedes can be bought for around $40k, but after conversion somewhere between 100K and 140K. The vast bulk of the depreciation is off the house, as it is for the tt and 5th. A diesel chassis will hold more net depreciable value than a gas chassis.

I recommend you think deeply about buying a gently used premium full-time tt or 5th, stepping up your tow/stop vehicle, and enjoying some personal touch remodeling. Or, go with an older premium unit and do more significant remodeling.
Or, purchasing a premium used dp at the third level where the five most important things to look at are chassis, chassis, chassis, chassis, and finally the chassis.

If you can break through your got-to-be-new approach, the unplanned lost money on this unit can be bought back with an astute pencil, a bit of cash, and some sweat equity. Regardless, any way you do it is all an entertainment cost.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #10

It's true. Dealer just want 30% less than what I paid for not even 1 year old trailer.
So I'm trying to sell myself in craigslist, and then buy the next trailer outright
So If you anybody is interested on my jayflight SLX 154BH , please see
like new 2015 Jayco 154BH RV trailer still has warranty
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:34 AM   #11

We just sold our 2014 X23B. Paid $20k for it brand new, but dealer offered $13k as a trade-in which would have made negotiating the price for our new trailer almost impossible. We put it on Craigslist for 2 months and eventually sold it for $16k. It's definitely worth it to sell it yourself.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #12

Problem with NADA was the dealer only gave us"wholesale, $ 3000 less than NADA. Car dealers are starting the same thing.
pmames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmames View Post
Problem with NADA was the dealer only gave us"wholesale, $ 3000 less than NADA. Car dealers are starting the same thing.

I believe NADA lists the 'retail' value, which is what one might expect to pay when purchasing one. Just like trading in a car, the dealer would never give you retail value. I would be nice if NADA listed 'trade in' values like they do with cars/trucks.