Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Traded 2015 for a 2015...

Yeah... I know! Should have got the bigger one to start with!

Went to Texas Motor Speedway last weekend and had a blast!! Trailer was awesome other than we felt a little cramped, just a little. Towed home on Monday and I had a few minor issues for the dealer to look at and while there, asked to go look at another White Hawk on their lot. After seeing the extra space, the bunk space, plus the Summit Edition package and all the other things, I traded my 2015 White Hawk 25BHS for a 2015 White Hawk 28DSBH.

Lost about $2,500 on the deal but, I'm happier, it fits us so much better. Love the arched roof, the extra space from the couch, the bath entry, larger door, bunk space, electric stab jacks, outside fridge, slam cargo doors...heck, all of it!

My payment went down $4 a month (got a lower % rate) and my insurance return $86 for 12 month policy. So while I KNOW i lost money, at least I feel like I got more return on my investment (yes, I know travel trailers are not investments).

In the end, it's what we wanted to start with but I was worried about my Ram 1500 pulling around 7,500 pounds so we went smaller. Now with the Ram 2500, not worried at all (I know the 1500 could do it but I like to be comfortable when towing).

Weight difference from yellow sticker to yellow sticker was a tad over 600 pounds too so, very close. 3 feet longer but not worried about that really. Think the milage and feel will be about the same as the previous one.

So...we are a new travel trailer owner for the second time in less than 4 months!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new TT! Your experience with the trailer is similar to what I went through with my truck last winter, and for about the same amount of money
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Congratulations.

We went through a very similar education. Settled on the TT to match the TV, then upgraded TV and bought the trailer we initially wanted.

Impressive you were able to trade your old (4 mtn old) trailer for only $2500 less than you paid for it. We attempted something similar on our first TT at 10mths and the best offer the dealer would provide on the trade in was $6000 less than we purchased it from them at. They tried to package the trade and sale together, basically offering more trade-in value but the new trailer was coming at a higher price. Once I forced the issue to separate the new purchase vs the trade in it was clear what was happening.

We ultimately waited another year, sold ours private party and purchased our "new to us" private party in order to make the math work out.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

We are on our 3rd TT in 7 yrs. Each time we moved up in size. 17C Export, 197 now we have the 24FBS. The last thing our dealer said to the DW & I was...."see you in a few years". We both said this is it.....he said "that's what you said with the 197", who knows, he may be right.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

Where did you turn in your 25bhs? I am interested?
Kamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #6

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
Where did you turn in your 25bhs? I am interested?
Trailer is at Crestview RV in Buda (next to Cabelas). It should be out on their lot after this weekend. We are doing our PDI on the new trailer Saturday morning and then lining them up side by side to swap all the gear out.

Saw your other post about getting ready to buy...the yellow sticker on the 25 BHS was 5400#! Has the deep 36 inch slide and bunks. Sleeps 8 easy!

Call Crestview RV and ask for Gary Cozart (our sales guy for the trailers). He's a good guy!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

Perfect. What options did it have? Did it have the outside kitchen? This unit looks perfect for what we are looking for and from what you said we should be able to get a brand new unit with an extra $2,500 discount .
Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #8

The trailer has every option other than the outside kitchen. Felt the extra storage was needed more so didn't order it.

It has the 15k AC, glacier package too as well as the rear ladder. Interior is coffee decor.

Call Gary to take a look at it...would think you'd get a great deal. Less than 1,000 miles on it and 10 days camping.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #9

In our first 4 years of TT camping we went through 3 TT's and 2 TV's. It is important to be comfortable while in the TT and also while towing the TT.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #10

Picked up the new trailer today! Took a little longer than I thought it would to transfer everything from one to the other...lot of stuff packed in the old one for only having it a few months!

PDI went good...found a few items for the dealer to work on and a couple they will have to order some things. Nothing major...minor trim stuff, seams of a cushion coming apart, cabinet door loose, pocket door on one side missing couple screws and a small tear in the awning. They are ordering the awning, cushion and a couple trim pieces, get them in a couple weeks they said.

After getting her home, we went through it some more but didn't find anything else. We are heading to the coast in the morning for a couple nights to shake it down some more.

Excited for the larger trailer and during the PDI saw the black tank flush so that was a nice surprise! Other trailer did not have one. Overall much happier with the 28 DSBH.

My Ram 2500 gasser did great with the extra 750 or so pounds too. I'll get a read on milage difference while heading to the coast (couple hour drive). Truck felt a little tighter pulling this one home (about 45 miles on the highway and some secondary roads). Seemed to like the additional weight too? Length didn't really seems any different (3+ feet longer).

Ok...going to pack a little and report back in a couple days.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #11

Good to know everything went well. After reading your experience, we have decided to look for a little larger TT. We are thinking about the 28BHS but am worried that it is too big for our 2014 Dodge Durango V8 AWD with tow package (7,200 max). Because of that , we are still leaning towards the Fay Feather SLX 26bhsw which has aluminum frame, fiber glass exterior and id over 1,000 lbs lighter than the equivalent Jay Flight. What do you think?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Oh, if we only knew then what we know now............ I love it when I make a purchase and then read reviews about the item and learn all the reasons I should have gone with the other one!! Enjoy your new tt!
Chuck
Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #13

Kamakazi - I have a 28BHS now and am learning about its weights and towing manners. I wouldn't go for a trailer of this size with your tow vehicle. It's a big, heavy trailer with a tongue weight that would probably eat up most or even all of your payload on that vehicle. Do you happen to know what your payload is? It'll say on a yellow sticker inside the drivers door jamb.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #14

Thanks SkyBound,

I think you are right. The tongue weight on my vehicle is 1,200 but the difference between the two trailers on tongue weight is only about 70lbs. I think the real limitation will be sheer size of the 28bhs which is 1,250 lbs GVWR heavier. The model I am looking at seems to be new. There are no You Tube videos on it not can I find a user who owns it. The model is the Jay Feather SLX 26bhsw. What is nice is it is aluminum framed with vacuum bonded fiberglass exterior (Much lighter and looks better in my opinion). It also has many little features the Jay Flight SLX 26BHSW does not have. My only concern is nobody seems to have this model? Anybody out there?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #15

Kamakazi...I'd think you'd want/need a lighter trailer based on your tow vehicle. If I had your tow vehicle, I'd want something under 4500 GVWR. Reason being is stability, braking and overall safety...not to mention gas milage and the ability to bring gear and all the other stuff you'd want while camping.

We've enjoyed the coast on our shake down run but heading back home in the morning. Haven't found anything else that is major...honestly, I'm nitpicking things at this point but, the TT has to be back in a week or so anyway so might as well note things.

Windy as heck tonight too...sure I'll have a full headwind tomorrow towing back home. Mileage here was a tad over 11 so we'll see tomorrow.

We are staying at Balli Surf/Bob Hall Pier in north Padre Island, decent enough but nothing to write home about. We are feet from the beach but amenities are bare as well quality being minimum.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #16

Hey Blue Deuce,

Thanks for the feedback. So even though my tow vehicle has a maximum GVWR limit of 7,200 you think I should not go larger than 4,500? The model I am looking at has a GVWR of 6,250. We plan on only camping within a few hours of SA. On the river or lake most but hope a few trips to the beach (Just looked at the place you just went). So, obviously being over or neer the rated max is not recommended but just curious since you are experienced why a TT 1,000 under the max would not be wise. I do appreciate your advice and concern.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #17

Kamakazi...I can tow 14,200 with my current truck but I'd not even want to. Could it? Yes, but that doesn't mean I feel comfortable doing it. I've towed near max or over my max and it's just not fun or safe. The stability of your tow vehicle on a trailer 26 feet long, 29 feet bumper to hitch...not something I'd want to tow, even short distances.

Thats me though and really you need to look at the weights before deciding. Hitch weight, front and rear axle weights as well as GVWR and payload capacity. If everything is inside the numbers, then decide if you are comfortable and make a decision.

The numbers will tell the answer...
Old 11-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #18

As with most travel towing limitations, your payload capacity is first in question. Have a look on that sticker that I referred to in my previous post and report back to us with what it says. Generally speaking, the max tow rating for a vehicle only holds true when it's completely empty.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #19

Back home and trailer is cleaned and back at the storage lot. Great trip, beautiful weather, and good food...gulf coast food is sooooooo good! Had french toast this morning from a German bakery and it was awesome!

Met the front (the same one causing ice cold temps and snow throughout the mid west) about an hour after pulling out. Had a 30+ mph side wind for the next hour then a solid 30+ head wind the rest of the trip! Not ideal towing conditions but the Ram 2500 was awesome...gas mileage not so much...haha. We don't pull these things for milage though so part of the experience. I was down to a tad over 8 mpg for the ride home.

Good trip though and now back to work tomorrrow...
Old 11-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #20

Hey SkyBound, have some numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
As with most travel towing limitations, your payload capacity is first in question. Have a look on that sticker that I referred to in my previous post and report back to us with what it says. Generally speaking, the max tow rating for a vehicle only holds true when it's completely empty.
Thanks for your help. I have taken the numbers directly from the stickers of both TT's I am considering and my tow vehicle. Here are the numbers. I would love your feedback.

Towing Vehicle
2014 Dodge Durango
GVWR 7,100
GAWR Front 3,200
GAWR Rear 3,900
Vehicle Max Load 1,200
All Wheel Drive
V8
Factory Tow Package

Travel Trailer Specs
Product Line Jay Feather SLX Jay Flight
Model 26BHSW 23mb