Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Trading in 2014 Whitehawk 28dsbh for 2017 Jay flight 28bhbe

I think we are trading it in. We have numerous problems, mostly cosmetic, that cannot be fixed now. They have been there since day one but service issues happened and now we are stuck. The dealership is willing to work with us to trade in and "give us a good deal" We are debating on getting the thermal package on the Jay Flight since the Whitehawk had it and there were times we were still chilly. We only camp until mid October in NY. Does anyone have any opinions on getting it or not? Also the "walk around master bed" is still quite tight for me. If anyone has it, do you find a problem getting through? Maybe I have to switch sides with my husband since he doesn't get up in the night LOL
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

no opinions on the thermal package???
Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

We had it on our Jay Flight. I wouldn't have a trailer without it.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

I don't Have the thermal package on my 28BHBE and we will camp right through Halloween here in NY.

I love my trailer and have not found anything at all that couldn't be fixed easily at home.

The "Walk Around" Queen bed area is TIGHT and since my DW is a restless sleeper her feet end up off the end just slightly but enough where it makes it difficult for me to slide myself out without moving them. I'm the one who gets up multiple times during the night but am so set in my ways, I can not switch sides of the bed...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
no opinions on the thermal package???
We have it. We have definitely had nights we ran the heater, and have never had an issue with freezing up. Another advantage it helps protect stuff under the trailer from road water/dirt etc, of course at the cost that if you ever do have to do anything under the trailer its a pain to remove.

I would probably get it again but I really cant swear how much good is has done in the thermal department, we winterized in late September last year.

The walk around queen is tight, it works for us but we are pretty short so you don't hit the person next to you when you leave, but your definitely walking sideways. You do gain storage by having this however, so thats always a plus.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I don't Have the thermal package on my 28BHBE and we will camp right through Halloween here in NY.

I love my trailer and have not found anything at all that couldn't be fixed easily at home.

The "Walk Around" Queen bed area is TIGHT and since my DW is a restless sleeper her feet end up off the end just slightly but enough where it makes it difficult for me to slide myself out without moving them. I'm the one who gets up multiple times during the night but am so set in my ways, I can not switch sides of the bed...
You are practically a neighbor lol. I am in east Fishkill. Do you feel any draft in the bedroom being that the pass through go right under the bed? We run our heater now with the Whitehawk and have used an electric heater also to keep it warm enough. I am a little worried about the draft in the bedroom so insight on that would be great. Not sure if I could sleep on the wrong side of the bed either but don't want to trip up on my bedding in the middle of the night either lol
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #7

We have it. Survived 5 degree night last year, stayed at my son's for Thanksgiving before heading south. Had to disconnect water of course. But we stayed comfortable, and no frozen pipes! I wouldn't consider not getting it, we were in a freak cold, don't normally get that cold that early!
I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it. But it's your call & your wallet! Good luck!
Vietnam Vet USMC
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
You are practically a neighbor lol. I am in east Fishkill. Do you feel any draft in the bedroom being that the pass through go right under the bed? We run our heater now with the Whitehawk and have used an electric heater also to keep it warm enough. I am a little worried about the draft in the bedroom so insight on that would be great. Not sure if I could sleep on the wrong side of the bed either but don't want to trip up on my bedding in the middle of the night either lol
Hey Neighbor! We haven't felt any draft but I will be adding some foam board insulation to the pass through storage area under the bed just as a precaution as there are some small gaps that I am not too comfortable with.

We have been out in some heavy rain with strong winds and really have not noticed any negative effects inside at all.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

ever tought about removing the undercarriage cover ?

Bye bye coroplast, welcome to a lots of room to work under the trailer ! Ever tought about removing bottom cover ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Bye bye coroplast, welcome to a lots of room to work under the trailer ! Ever tought about removing bottom cover ?
Sorry if I sound ignorant but what is coroplast? Hopefully we wouldn't have to do work under the trailer. I am assuming that if we did then the entire underbelly would have to come off???
Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi, we're also pretty nearby you (Beacon!). This is our first season with a "glacier" (thermal) package-equipped White Hawk 28DSBH, so we can't advise you on whether it's great for cold weather but we DO think it's already paid for itself this summer! Ours takes the floor's R-value from R7 to R22 and the roof from R8 to R26. I'm pretty sure that made a huge difference to our air conditioning efficiency this summer during some 97-degree days we spent camping. I think the Jay Flight's thermal values go up the same amount, although it might be worth checking with a factory rep.

We'll be camping Columbus Day weekend to close out the season and maybe we'll get a chance to see how the glacier package does in the cold. Based upon its performance in the heat, I'm guessing it will make a big difference. We're also hoping the enclosed underbelly helps keep critters out this winter - I've gone over the belly of our rig and sealed a couple of vulnerable spots, but it would have been a bigger job without the underbelly cover.

Take care, neighbor! And let us know if you've discovered any awesome campgrounds in the northeast/mid-Atlantic worth visiting - we're still building our list!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Sorry if I sound ignorant but what is coroplast? Hopefully we wouldn't have to do work under the trailer. I am assuming that if we did then the entire underbelly would have to come off???
Coroplast is the plastic material that is used to seal the underbelly. Its the same stuff sign places use to make lawn signs at election time. Like corrugated plastic...

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Coroplast is the plastic material that is used to seal the underbelly. Its the same stuff sign places use to make lawn signs at election time. Like corrugated plastic...
Right on !

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! Though it's not MY hard-headedness that keeps us on "our" side of the bed, it's hers. I'm the restless one, and her feet hang off the bed at "just" the right height if you know what I mean... I've gotten to where I physically move her feet when I go by. She hasn't complained yet, or gotten tired enough of it to switch sides!

Though I can sleep without my feet hanging off the end of the bed. I get right up against the front wall, and I'm totally on the bed. I get after her constantly about it, and she won't change. So I just keep on movin' her feet out of the way! One day she'll get tired of me waking her up ... or we'll get a new trailer and not have to worry about it anymore!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! Though it's not MY hard-headedness that keeps us on "our" side of the bed, it's hers. I'm the restless one, and her feet hang off the bed at "just" the right height if you know what I mean... I've gotten to where I physically move her feet when I go by. She hasn't complained yet, or gotten tired enough of it to switch sides!

Though I can sleep without my feet hanging off the end of the bed. I get right up against the front wall, and I'm totally on the bed. I get after her constantly about it, and she won't change. So I just keep on movin' her feet out of the way! One day she'll get tired of me waking her up ... or we'll get a new trailer and not have to worry about it anymore!!
We must be the same height because I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #16

Quote:
We must be the same height because I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!
LOL!! I thought you might!!

All I know is our next RV (whatever it is) will NOT have that problem. Don't get me wrong, in virtually EVERY other way, our trailer is perfect for us, this is one of the very few things I would change about it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

If you decide to get the thermal package make sure it's actually there. Jayco put the sticker on my trailer but the insulation was never installed, I actually got my money back from Jayco. I would have never known had the dealer not found it during a repair on the underside of the trailer. It makes me wonder how many other trailers don't have it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #18

I don't know if the thermal package actually helps because I haven't been without it, but I can tell you my 38fdds stays very cool this summer in 90+ temperatures with a single 15k AC. From what I've been reading I assume the thermal package helps. I thought it was minimal extra cost when I ordered my rig, so I went with it. I have no regrets and would get the package again without hesitation.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #19

We have it and like jloco states it wasn't an expensive option and our trailer stays very cool in some hot weather... No idea how big of a difference the package makes but I'd get it again.

SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #20

Our last trailer was a Rockwood that did not have a thermal package. We had several times when camping in the mountains the floor was too cold for our little dog to sleep on the floor! When we bought our Jayco, we looked for one with a thermal package...and so glad we did!! The floor is much warmer...we love it!