Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #1

Trading TT for more space?

All—

My wife and i are enjoying our 3rd year in our 23RB we purchased new. This past weekend storms forced our hand and we spent a lot of time inside. I quickly realized the TT is not that comfortable nor spacious for 2 adults and a yorkie.

I saw the 26RLS with 1 slide, and recliner chairs along with a couch. I personally dont camp to stay inside and watch TV/Movies however mother nature is in charge.

I assume trading after 3 years is a losing effort but am curious if others have done it, and have any tips or reccomendations for us.

Thanks in advance!
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:15 AM   #2

Trading TT for more space?

I just did the same thing as you are thinking about doing. Your better off trying to sell your TT out right the dealer won’t give you crap for trade. But it’s up to you some don’t want to hassle with dealing with people coming on time. But the dealer only wanted to give me 11k for a 2015 Passport 2810BH trading up to a JayCo Eagle HT 295bdok. I ended up selling my 2810BH for $17,500. I paid $21,500 new. But the extra room was well worth upgrading for.
Sean1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #3

My husband and I just traded our 2015 23rb in for a 2018 24rbs and we are both very happy with the space! We like the length of the trailer and have no need for both recliners and a sofa, so the extra floor space is all that was missing in the original trailer. We went camping this April and it was pretty cold out still, so we ended up hanging out in the camper watching movies and relaxing. I purchased an ottoman from Walmart which fits perfect in front of the sofa and then we made a lounge with the dinette. Just this one trip was enough for us to both agree that it was a good purchase for our needs.

VinceN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

I think the majority of RV's owners up size at one time or another.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiedeken View Post
All—

My wife and i are enjoying our 3rd year in our 23RB we purchased new. This past weekend storms forced our hand and we spent a lot of time inside. I quickly realized the TT is not that comfortable nor spacious for 2 adults and a yorkie.

I saw the 26RLS with 1 slide, and recliner chairs along with a couch. I personally dont camp to stay inside and watch TV/Movies however mother nature is in charge.

I assume trading after 3 years is a losing effort but am curious if others have done it, and have any tips or reccomendations for us.

Thanks in advance!
No doubt, the 26RLS's slide is going to make a big difference in terms of functional, livable space. However, must mention you did say you enjoyed your 23RB for almost 3 years before this bad storm apparently forced your hand. Any chance you can forgive your 23RB this one time?

If you decide not to forgive, odds are, you are going to take a steep depreciation hit. The first 2 or 3 years are the worst, after that it tends to level off a bit. How much of a hit, is a matter of timing and luck. Doesn't cost anything to ask what a dealer will give you on trade-in, but, be forewarned, the answer will probably sting a little. We sold our last two trailers within a week on Craigslist. Got great deals on both new, but still took a somewhat painful loss on both. Selling anything takes a lot of patience. Be prepared to deal with tire-kickers and ridiculous low-ball offers. Not everyone is up for it. Everybody's comfort level with their patience, time, and money, vary.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #6

NADA has a low of $9200 and a high of $11,100.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight Series M-23 RB Prices and Used Values | NADAguides
RV's are probably the biggest money losers out there.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #7

Might be a good time to sell.

I had a 1989 Terry Resort 18 foot trailer that was used as the "guest house" at our permanent campground lot. No one has used it in a year so brought it home, checked the systems and after some minor fixes, listed it on Craigslist and sold it within 8 hours last Friday.

Murff
Attached Thumbnails
00l0l_bZRvyywk8mP_1200x900.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

[QUOTE=rtiedeken;639811

[/QUOTE]

We have done this a couple times. Each time with a larger trailer. Each time I look back kinda miss the smaller trailer... Now I have a driveway extension to accommodate the current trailer. It is definitely more comfortable when when the camper has a real seating area. I do miss the smaller trailer being able to fit more in more places.

These trailers are a lousy financial investment so do your homework on the value end. If you can come to peace with the financial part of the deal, great!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #9

Do and don't look back. life is too short and enjoy.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote