Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #21

We are trading in our hybrid. It served its purpose of getting us into family camping at a low price but we learned quickly that hybrids are more work (time) for setup and tear down especially if it is raining. Our kids are 7, 5 and 2 y/o so not real helpful yet. Also the hybrid we never felt like we had enough space for our family of 5 when we were in the camper (not that it was often but it happened).
Our limitation was TV being a SUV with limited tow weight. We started looking and were having a hard time finding what fit our needs and wants that fell into the light weight category (bunks, big awning, outdoor kitchen) until we found the
Jay Feather 22 bhm biggest bunks in its class huge awning and Outdoor Kitchen!
I guess my point is take your time and look around get in as many campers as you can to figure out what works best for you and your family.

Good Luck
cosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #22

I am in my second year of owning the X23B. My previous TT was a 30' Shasta with a slide. There was a few years gap between owning TT's so I didn't sell the Shasta to buy the X23B but when I was ready to get another TT I wanted to get something much shorter/lighter for towing but without sacrificing the living space. I basically have the same amount of living space between the two even though the X23B is 7 feet shorter. Bonus points to the X23B for having the u shape couch with a movable table and not the dinette. Can't stand dinettes. Fine for eating or playing games, terribly uncomfortable for just relaxing.

Both TT's have their pro's and cons but the most critical decision for me was the size of the TT for towing v. the inconvenience of the canvas beds. The setup time that others point out is really a non issue. It probably takes about 10 minutes total to drop the beds and add bedding. However, closing up when the canvas is wet is an issue you have to deal with and can be quite inconvenient. It's a concession I'm willing to make for a more comfortable towing experience.
mcatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #23

We have stayed at MANY camp spots that do not allow an additional tent on our rv site. Just a thought.
Mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebell619 View Post
Hey Forum!

I have been focused solely on researching the perfect travel trailer for our family of 4 (2 boys - 6 & 8), but have only been focused on Ultralight Travel Trailers (White Hawk, Jay Flight, Forest River Surveyor). I just spoke with a veteran RV camper who has owned it all, and she suggested I consider a hybrid for our first trailer. Her main "point" was that the kids will feel it to be more like tent camping because of the pop outs....

Anyway, I was wondering what your advice and thoughts were. For those of you who have owned Hybrid, do you see yourself wishing for a traditional travel trailer in the near future? Does it feel too "cramped" inside? How about the pop outs---are they warm enough? How about moisture with those that have canvas siding?

Any other considerations?

Thanks!

Erica
I've owned campers with canvas in the past. It was our entry level camper. I can only say from our own experience, the jayflight was an upgrade (Jayflight isn't an ultra light that I know of)

There's no reason you can't take a tent along. We do... it seldom gets used, but it's there when the tent experience is ideal. My best friend had a bear rip through his canvas doing an amazing amount of damage. I'm sure that's rare... but maybe food for though as far as overall 'security' concerns... both 2 and 4 legged varieties.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote