Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer Aid Plus

Evening All,

I am receiving conflicting information regarding the trailer ramps and their competitors that are designed to lift the good tire on double axle trailers high enough to change a flat tire. I have been told it will work with my 26 RLS but I have also been told that because my suspension uses leaf springs it will not work. Does anyone have firsthand experience either way?

Thanks.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #2

I tried one a few years back. Was not happy at all. It barely raised the tire on the second axle off the ground. Was a bit difficult to pull up on by yourself with no one guiding you. I prefer my bottle Jacks with some wood blocks as cribbing....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

I just purchased one of these to change a tire in the driveway. It beats using bottle jacks and wood blocks. I struggled to get my bottle jack and some wood blocks to safely jack the camper and turned to this as a solution.

It’s very easy to use. I was able to pull the camper up the ramp without the assistance of a spotter. You just need to be in tune with how your camper and TV feel. I could sense that the wheel had seated in the cradle pretty easily was was able to stop perfectly.

I was changing back wheel on the passenger side. The ramp alone wouldn’t lift the wheel off the ground while hitched. All I had to do was chock the other set of wheels, unhitch, then lower the landing gear, which effectively creates a fulcrum with the front axle. As the front came down, slowly the back wheel came off the ground. Easy-peasy.

I actually left the camper on the jack overnight. I was a little worried about leaving the axle hanging that long so I put the bottle jack under it and lifted it about an inch. The next day when the new tire came in, I was able to install it, re-hitch, and back off the ramp without needing a spotter.

This is a very useful tool which I now carry in the camper at all times.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #4

I have the Plus version and use it to grease all four axles on a slightly sloped driveway while leaving the TT attached to my truck.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:10 AM   #5

I have used my "lego" levelers to build a ramp to lift an axle. I have used this method to change tires using a cordless impact gun.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies, All. I think I will buy one from a place that accepts returns in case I don’t have satisfactory results.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

I have changed a tire 4x on my x213. Both times (bad off, spare on, fixed back on) for what I thought was faulty valves, but on my second time I realized that the valve was just loose.

I ended up putting a 2x6 under the trailer aid to get it high enough. It was touch and go if it was up enough when I did a test the first time I've always used the 2x6 since then..

Works great. Easier if you have a spotter to let you know when you are up, but easy enough to do myself. Just have to "feel" the trailer, and get out and check lots....

I have never left it up longer than needed. Not sure I like the idea of it only being on 1 of the 2 side of the axle for too long...
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote