Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

Ideally you would hook it to the frame of the tow vehicle. On my last truck I had a carabiner welded to the frame so I could just clip it in. So far on this truck I've just been attaching to the hitch. They say not to attach to the hitch incase it's the problem but I've never heard of the entire hitch falling off. I don't think running through the chains is a big deal as long as it's attached to the frame or truck elsewhere than the hooks and would pull out if failure occurred.

canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #12

trailer brake safety cable...

I use a Zip Breakaway Cable, made by Fastway. Robot Check

Keeps it out of the chain, and out of the way.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Do not run through the chains, that defeats the purpose of the cable.

If it's two long you can twist a few times and they twist will shorten a bit. Or you can buy spiral ones.
Wondering how that would defeat the purpose of the cable? Mine came with the cable routed thru the safety chain. If the trailer was to break from the tv, it would pull the cable and activate the emergency brake. If the chains remain connected to the tv as they likely would, the trailer would remain with the tv albeit with a whole lot less control of the TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #14

Regarding a place to fasten the breakaway cable to the vehicle, In my last three trucks, I have replaced one of the license plate screws with an eye bolt. Most trucks have access to the back side of the license plate for a washer and self locking nut.......works for me.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #15

OMG! what if the hitch comes off? Well, what if I attach it to the bumper and it falls off?What if I attach it to the end of the frame rail and it tears or rips off? Why is it not wrapped around the drivers wrist like a kill switch lanyard on a snowmobile?
Clip it to something SOLID on the vehicle. The hitch is fine. The loops on the hitch where the safety chains hook is fine. The brake cable is to stop a runaway trailer AFTER the tongue is off the ball, or a receiver pin has fallen out releasing the drawbar with the ball, AND, AND the safety chains are broken and the trailer is off on a cross country mission on its own. That's it!
I see no reason why looping I through the chains is a problem. Mine is. If the chain is broken because the tongue came off the ball, I want the e-brake pin pulled. Since the e-brake lanyard is clipped to the hitch the pin would've been pulled the second the broken chains allowed the trailer-truck gap to exceed the e-brake lanyard length.
My e-pin pulls like butter. Im more concerned that my lanyard if left free at will may catch the trailer jack on a turn or some road debris and lockup the tires when I'm least expecting it or on the highway, creating a real problem.
After all that blabbering... That $20 coiling lanyard may be worth researching..
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
I use a Zip Breakaway Cable, made by Fastway. Robot Check

Keeps it out of the chain, and out of the way.

Great link. Thanks. For $12, every trailer should have that as standard equipment.
Fast way has it clipped to the chain loop on the receiver in their pic. Of course, they only have one safety chain, something the Midwest won't tolerate.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #17

Thumbs up Trailer brake cable

x3 on the Fastway coiled cable. I have used them on all my trailers for years & love them. It stays nice & clean, doesn't fray or rust, and is very manageable.
Little Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wondering how that would defeat the purpose of the cable? Mine came with the cable routed thru the safety chain. If the trailer was to break from the tv, it would pull the cable and activate the emergency brake. If the chains remain connected to the tv as they likely would, the trailer would remain with the tv albeit with a whole lot less control of the TT.
The breakaway trailer brakes are intended to engage should the trailer detach from the tow vehicle and the 7 way pin is disengaged as well so that you no longer have the ability to control the trailer brakes from the vehicle. Every breakaway cable I have had is always longer than the safety chains. Therefore I the unlikely event your trailer does detach from the ball, but the chains remain attached, your trailers emergency brakes will not engage if the cable is routed through the chain because the chain will reach full tension before the cable does and is able to pull the pin.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Ideally if the hitch disconnects from the TV, you would want the brakes on the trailer to come on so that it doesn't hit the TV when you try to stop. If the cable runs through the chains, the brakes might not be activated if the chains are shorter than the cable. If the trailer is being pulled by the chains and you touch the brakes on the TV the trailer is going to hit the back of the TV and possibly cause it to go out of control.

IN PA, they check the trailer brake breakaway switch when they do the annual trailer inspection.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #20

Looks like some want their E-brake to engage if the hitch disconnects even if the chains remain intact. Some want the E-brake to engage only if the hitch and then the chains fail. I suppose that's part of the reason for varying E-brake cable connection methods.

I have no idea which is correct but don't really think I want my trailer brakes to fully and instantly engage unless the trailer is completely disconnected and off on a solo trip. If the E-brake engaged while the chains are still intact I could see that causing both the tow vehicle and the trailer to be involved in the subsequent crash. I'd like to leave the tow vehicle out of the crash if possible so my E-brake will remain connected so that it pulls only if the hitch and chains both fail.

Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote