Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #1

Trailer Brakes Issues

Hello
I purchased my TT in sig new in 2007 and from when I first hooked it up I would hear a clicking sound when the brakes were applied/released. I was told then that was normal and heard that noise as confirmation the brakes are operational up until last season when I had the dealership repack bearings and inspect brakes. They had to replace a backing plate because of grease and when I picked it up I did not hear a click and the trailer brakes felt spongy but I attributed that to the trailer sitting awhile. Sometimes in the past after sitting awhile it would take a few applications of trailer brakes before they were at their full strength. After a few applications and driving the brakes did improve but not to the level of how they were before and still no noise. I called the dealership and they now acted like the noise was abnormal and now the silence is right. I can hold the TV with the trailer brakes if I manually apply them with the Prodigy P2 brake controller but I have increased the axle coun from 1 to 3 and turned up the brake boost to almost max and the application still seems spongy. This doesn't sound right and it is currently in storage but wanted to hear from others how their trailer brakes function.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Sans the repair, I'd check the ground from the TV to the TT as a start. Also, make sure your battery terminals are good and clean and making good contact. After that, it may be something mechanical.
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

The brakes need adjustment is all. They are setup too loose. The Prodigy doesn't have an axle count setpoint. The b1, b2, and b3 are boost settings. When you are stopping, does the display show voltage going to the trailer brakes? If it does, the brakes are working. You probably just need to jack the camper up and adjust the adjuster screws.

You can't see it here but behind the magnet on the backer plate are a couple plastic plugs that can be removed to allow you to turn the adjuster. Tighten it up enough to cause a light drag on the drums spinning by hand.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Thanks I forgot my battery is old (and weak), I will replace that. Thanks on the pic of the brakes but I paid them to do the work so I will just take it back to them. I plan on watching them or one day jacking mines up and looking at them to get more familiar with the inner workings and one day I hope to be able to service my own bearings and brakes.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #5

I actually am having the same problem. The brakes are adjusted pretty tight but I still have to almost max out the Prodigy controller to feel even slight drag and I am using the B2 boost setting as well. 2 dealer have told me that's just the way they are. I just had them serviced 2 weeks ago and I had to tighten up the pads since their setting didn't do anything. I am believing that there is a problem with the controller or the ground. I checked the plug and it is putting out 11.4 amps with the lever locked over and the ground wires look good. Can I run an additional ground on the truck plug and/or trailer? Should I run a new ground all the way back to the brakes. Thanks in advance
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote