Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2022, 11:50 AM   #1

trailer brakes not working

Just installed two factory fresh Lippert axles. Up graded to wet bolts and new equalizer. Everything looks good except brakes not working. Pulled the break away cable still not working. Double checked all the connections and pulled on the wires. Everything looks ok. With the break away activated I had 9 volts at the distribution point under the trailer. Switch could be corroded, was very hard to pull it out. I will replace later. To the people that have put factory fresh axles will the brakes need adjusted before they do anything. That would be my next move adjust brakes.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #2

I felt the same when I had one axle replaced. It takes a bit of driving to get any stuff left on the drums off. Same experience when I had all four wheel bearings redone. Felt like I had no brakes. About 20-30 miles of pulling the trailer. Hitting the trailer brakes randomly with the brake controller. As I progressed, I felt more and more of a grab. If you have power, that may be it.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:15 AM   #3

I will second what TxLoser said, if your new axles came with new brakes, then you will need to pull the trailer around for a while to "set" the brakes. Just went through this with my smaller landscape trailer. Check the Lippert or Dexter sites, they both have instructions for breaking in new brakes. Setting them properly makes a huge difference in their performance.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:59 AM   #4

It’s creepy when you pull away and realize the brakes are doing nothing. This is where it’s really good to have enough TV for whatever you’re pulling. Three times now, I’ve essentially been without brakes for a period towing. Makes you appreciate them.

I was surprised when I got a new axle and it was the whole package with brakes and all. I though it would just be the axle itself. Guess it’s makes for a much faster swap that way.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #5

trailer brakes........

I checked and it looks like brakes pull about 15 amp. Adjusted them close and back and forth in the driveway I can tell they are grabbing. Also when adjusting these brakes, you need two screw drives. One the push the adjusting lever over to the side, and another to spin the ratchet wheel. I will take it out on the road some and see if I can get them better broke in.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:11 PM   #6

The manual covers initial setup

My brakes did not work from the start and dealer was not much help. I finally read the manual from Lippert and adjusted myself and they worked after that. I have a good friend who worked for years in a tire shop tell me those star adjusters can only compensate for brake wear so much and need adjusted with new pads and then checked every year or so.
Scottandpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Moderators note

The Lippert Manual is not Copyrighted and is allowed to be re-distributed per the note at the bottom of the last page.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #8

Any time you have a brake drum off you should always take a look at the brakes. Look for grease contamination, thickness of the lining, wear patterns, every thing in place (no pieces missing), wires intact and not hanging out of place, brake adjuster not seized (some auto adjust some don’t), check drum surface for cracking and hot spots (they’ll be blue and noticeably different than rest of surface). When putting the drums back on make sure your shoes are centered on the backing plate. Apply your brakes a couple of times then check your shoe to drum adjustment by rotating the drum in the direction of travel (towards the front)
Oops gotta go will finish this later