Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer Brakes or Controller Problem

On my last 2 trip I have experienced the same braking problem. As the trip begins, the trailer brakes work properly. I made small adjustments on the wheel on the under-dash controller so the braking was noticeable but not too hard.

After an hour or two on the road (normal driving - no different than what I have done for the last 6 years in this truck with this travel trailer), the brakes felt "funny" and I see all of the lights on the controller flashing red (except the far left which has always been constant green).

With all the lights on the controller flashing when I brake, I don't think I am getting any braking from the trailer.

Its frustrating that the trailer brakes / controller work properly at the start of the day, but stop working properly later on. Does this sound like a problem with the controller or with the trailer?

The controller in my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 is a Sentinel from Tekonsha. The trailer is a 2013 Jayco 27DSRL White Hawk.
dgrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimmer View Post
On my last 2 trip I have experienced the same braking problem. As the trip begins, the trailer brakes work properly. I made small adjustments on the wheel on the under-dash controller so the braking was noticeable but not too hard.

After an hour or two on the road (normal driving - no different than what I have done for the last 6 years in this truck with this travel trailer), the brakes felt "funny" and I see all of the lights on the controller flashing red (except the far left which has always been constant green).

With all the lights on the controller flashing when I brake, I don't think I am getting any braking from the trailer.

Its frustrating that the trailer brakes / controller work properly at the start of the day, but stop working properly later on. Does this sound like a problem with the controller or with the trailer?

The controller in my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 is a Sentinel from Tekonsha. The trailer is a 2013 Jayco 27DSRL White Hawk.
Looking in the trouble shooting section of the manual it says:

All lights flash rapidly with Manual Slide Knob or Brake Pedal activated.

Direct short, excessive current request or poor ground connection to tow vehicle's battery.

(TRAILER BRAKES ARE INOPERABLE.)
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes controller