Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer brakes wont lock up

Hi guys and gals. I just picked up my new 2012 26BH last month and was getting it all dialed in.

I saved some money and bought a Prodigy P3 brake controller and installed it myself on my 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Installation was an easy plug and play with the provided pigtail and my Tahoe already being prewired from the factory.

I tested the controller once I got my trailer, and the instructions showed how to set the power to make the brakes lock up at 25mph and to then to dial it down from there. The instructions said to set the power at 6 volts and to go from there. It says to slide the manual lever to try to make it lock up.

I tried from 6 volts all the way to 13 volts with no lock up.

Has anyone dealt with this? Is it normal not to lock up?

When I pull the manual lever, it slows the trailer down, but im not sure how much its supposed to slow me down. When driving and using the brakes, I can feel the trailer brakes working, but again im not sure how much is correct.

Im new to towing a travel trailer and using a brake controller. Any help is appreciated.
popo719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

If your tt weighs a lot your tires may not lock up at 25 mph depending on the grip of your tires and road conditions.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

I have the prodigy 3 on my 29.5 5er and it acted the same way yours is, I went on some gravel road and it would lock the wheels up and that is how i set mine. Like rwilley said it has to much traction on pavement with a heavier tralier.
gatordone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

When you come to a stop if it feels like the trailer is dragging your truck to a stop then your controller is set to high. If it feels like your trailer is pushing you thru a stop then its set to low...gotta find that happy medium.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

I have a 2000 Jayco 24' BH and have never been able to lock mine. I switched from a cheaper brake controller to a P3 on my Tahoe. I just upgraded my TV to a Silverado 2500 Duramax with built in brake controller. Just had the brakes inspected/adjusted and they still will not lock up at 25mph with the max setting. I think this is just the way it is with heavier trailers... As long as it is not pushing you around, you should be good to go! I don't run mine at the max setting...just a little over 1/2.

Dave
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo719 View Post

I tested the controller once I got my trailer, and the instructions showed how to set the power to make the brakes lock up at 25mph and to then to dial it down from there. The instructions said to set the power at 6 volts and to go from there. It says to slide the manual lever to try to make it lock up.
I thought most instructions said on a "gravel" surface.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #7

My 19H won't lock up either with my P3. If I get above 6.8, the brakes grab when I use them. I set it to 6.0 and I never know the TT is back there when I stop. I don't worry about it much because I know they are working.