Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Trailer Coupler Lock

Hello all,

I have looked over the posts but have not been able to see anything on Trailer Coupler Locks. I just purchased a new trailer and will be keeping it in storage.
I was looking at this coupler lock https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I would appreciate any input on what you all prefer for coupler locks

Thank You
Old 10-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #2

Hello!

I have that very same coupler lock. I bought it for my pop up trailer and it worked perfectly.

It does not fit my 17 SLX 267BHSW with the 2 5/16 coupler. The way the coupler is integrated into the A-frame makes it too beefy for the lock to fit onto.

I am considering this model of lock now as it is what the RV dealer uses to secure new trailers.

https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...ler_Lock,72783
NOTAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAHEMI View Post
Hello!

I am considering this model of lock now as it is what the RV dealer uses to secure new trailers.

https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...ler_Lock,72783

I have the Reese lock that you linked to, it works OK, but it looks like it would be really easy to pry it off with a crowbar.

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I have the Reese lock that you linked to, it works OK, but it looks like it would be really easy to pry it off with a crowbar.

Best,
Steve
Locks only keep honest people honest...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Watch the span width, I have not found one that fits my 2016 JayFlight 28RLS, they are not wide enough, I've tried 3 that were for 2 5/16 or wide, none really fits, one does, but you move it the right way it comes off, so really just for show, however, my family's utility trailers now have locks on them.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

I don't think most use a lock, even if you do and someone really wants to steal your TT all it takes is about 30 seconds with a cordless tool to remove it. I think someone is more likely to break in and steal something than take the TT. I would not waste my money on a lock.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I have a landscape trailer that someone tried stealing a few years ago. If it wasn't for the coupler lock, I'd be missing a trailer. They tried cutting the lock off with a hack saw. Must have become frustrated with trying to cut it and left. That cheap sub $10 lock saved my trailer from theft.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I have a landscape trailer that someone tried stealing a few years ago. If it wasn't for the coupler lock, I'd be missing a trailer. They tried cutting the lock off with a hack saw. Must have become frustrated with trying to cut it and left. That cheap sub $10 lock saved my trailer from theft.
I kinda agree with the both of you. I have locks on my side gates on the sticks & bricks house. Last week someone tried to get in thru the gate in the middle of the night. They bent the locking mechanism, but moved on to the neighbors house and broke into his car in the driveway and stole some personal items...he didn't have locks on his side gates...but he does now!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #9

I purchased the Reese lock in the first response but it did not fit the hitch on my '17 Whitehawk 24 MBH. The metal on the hitch part was too wide. We ended up buying
Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal 'Solid Hardened Steel' Trailer Lock (fits all couplers) from Amazon (apparently I can't link yet or something). This lock fits very well and works for us.
readytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #10

I like Blaylock's line of coupler locks.

Retail | Blaylock American Metal | Hose Tube Doors, Thief Hatches, Coupler Locks
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #11

I am retired from law enforcement and will say I agree with both sides of this issue. A coupler lock will prevent some folks from stealing your trailer but only those looking for a a quick in and out. A determined thief will only be delayed slightly by even the best locks out there. That being said, I subscribe to the the old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" I lock my trailers tongue, I keep my gates locked around my property and I have alarms on house, garage and trailer.

I've seen too many victims of property crimes over the years take these steps AFTER they have been victimized. I will put the odds on my favor. Even if there is still some risk at least its minimized.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:

I have no illusions that a determined thief will take what they want. However, a lock makes it less likely.

All that being said... I locked my pop up not because of a worry of theft but because I went to get it one time and it had been moved from the spot I parked it in, which was a lit part of the compound to a spot at the back between a large boat and an excavator that was in storage for whatever reason. A sailboat on a trailer was put in its place.

Now, a pop up is pretty easy to move around and you probably won't hit anything. But a large travel trailer? Not so much.

If I haven't properly secured the trailer and someone decides they have a right to my spot and moves it and damages it my insurance company can claim that i did not take reasonable measures to prevent the situation. This could lead to a reduced or denied claim.
NOTAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAHEMI View Post
I have no illusions that a determined thief will take what they want. However, a lock makes it less likely.

All that being said... I locked my pop up not because of a worry of theft but because I went to get it one time and it had been moved from the spot I parked it in, which was a lit part of the compound to a spot at the back between a large boat and an excavator that was in storage for whatever reason. A sailboat on a trailer was put in its place.

Now, a pop up is pretty easy to move around and you probably won't hit anything. But a large travel trailer? Not so much.

If I haven't properly secured the trailer and someone decides they have a right to my spot and moves it and damages it my insurance company can claim that i did not take reasonable measures to prevent the situation. This could lead to a reduced or denied claim.

I agree.. my point was that it only keep honest people honest in that if they want to steal it they will.. if you have a lock on and it isn't easy as others have stated they move to one that is easy.. they guy who didn't lock his... All my stuff is locked... nothing has been stolen.. my neighbor has his unlocked nothing stole that I know of.. but they will take his before mine... the old adage... If the bear is chasing us I only have to run faster than you...

but if you think locking your trailer will absolve you of having it stolen you are living the "dream"... For 8 bucks it beats a call to premium boy and all the hassles that go with that!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #14

X2 with Sundancer. I am close to a number of police officers and have discussed this issue multiple times. Not many people steal a TT. And of course, I have to laugh. Someone stole one out of our storage park a few weeks ago but it ended up being an "inside job" from one of the "friends" of one of the contractors.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #15

I found this to be a great lock. Not all locks are built the same. We have the 2516J proven lock. It is a can and puck lock that will coast the theif a lot of time.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2016 23MRB WHITEHAWK
Husky 800-1200 WDH
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

Baylock = nice stuff 👍
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #17

Who makes baylock? I could not find one to look at.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2016 23MRB WHITEHAWK
Husky 800-1200 WDH
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedebb View Post
Who makes baylock? I could not find one to look at.

It's Blaylock. They are made by Blaylock Industries, which was rebranded Blaylock American Metal a few years ago.

Retail | Blaylock American Metal | Hose Tube Doors, Thief Hatches, Coupler Locks
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #19

I keep a lock on the hitch and also take the fuse out of the electric jack, keep the slide out and the stabilizers down to make anyone attempting to steal it work a little harder. We have had some one back up to our rig only to opt to steal my son's pop up which was easier. He had a hitch lock on it , however they simply chained the pop up to their truck hitch and drove a few miles and then broke off the lock
CampingNesslers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #20

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...r+trailer+lock

This is one i use on my 2015 SLX 264bhw. Works great.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote