Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #21

We bought the Adco mid-range priced cover 6 years ago. It's the one with the white Tyvek top. It's been great. Keeps dirt, snow & ice off the trailer. The tyvek keeps the roof nice & dry, so no worries about built up snow and ice causing ice dams directly on the roof. We cover gutter spouts and door stops with tennis balls. Also cover bumper ends and grill rack on the back bumper with bubble wrap secured with duct tape. Front corners and steps, too. Over time, you will get tears and weak spots. We used the matching patch tape that came with the cover, but eventually, just started using duct tape. It sticks better and holds the repair longer. We also cover the ladder with foam pipe insulation secured with zip ties. The edges of the ladder rungs are sharp and will cut the cover into ribbons if there's a good windstorm. We also take gallon milk jugs half filled with sand and secure them with rope around the handles, one to each end of the rope, 3 pieces off rope long enough to hold the jugs along side the bottom of the trailer, but not touching the ground. We wrap the ropes in piping foam insulation so the ropes don't cut into the top of the cover or the roof of the trailer. We put one set at front, middle and rear of the trailer. Doing this has been a major part of making the cover last so long. It prevents billowing of the cover so the fierce winter winds we get here in Michigan don't ship the cover around causing it to shred. We also take used kitty litter (clumps removed) from cat litter box and lay out a line of it all the way around the trailer. Never had any rodent issues! We visit the trailer monthly in the winter to make sure all is good and will push snow off the roof if it's an unusually snowy winter.
Rdubya44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&G View Post
Our dealer advised against covering. He told us the rubbing of the covers cause more damage than no cover. Also told a story of raccoons getting under a cover and enjoying the trailer all winter because no one saw them coming and going.
Personal preference I guess. Out here in the west a lot of sun that can do a lot of damage.
I think it's a good idea to check your RV every couple of weeks when not in use.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #23

I live by Camping World and went there when they had sales on covers. We bought ours there and was also asked if we wanted a warranty on our cover. I told them no. This will be the third year for the cover and no problems thus far. Not sure what cover we are using but went with what looked good and did what we needed it to do. Michigan winters are also brutal so we make sure by end of October ours is covered. Our TT sleeps on our driveway. Goes every where by May.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #24

We use a breathable fabric car cover for our little 16' X 7' hybrid. It covers the roof and extends down at least a foot on the sides and ends. We duct tape pipe insulator pieces on downspout corners and knots and hardware. The cover is tied down with rope and bungee lines (to allow movement and stretching) front, back, and three points on each side. We try to keep ice build-up off it and remove some snow if it gets more than a couple feet deep. It has worked well in typical Michigan winter rain, sleet, hail, freezing rain, snow and wind - three winters and no sign of wear. Fortunately, with an average of three days of sunshine in December, we don't have to contend with the damaging effects of brilliant UV-filled radiance every day. : /
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #25

For us, living near the coast, we get that freeze-thaw through the winter. So a 'vented" cover helps. When water freezes it expands, so were every it is or gets into it will push up or out. Same reason we all drain our lines. It's a full days work, but check out this cover lol, ezrv.ca.

Any wear a cover can flap in the wind it will rub a hole. I use pool noodles sliced down the middle on the down spouts, steps etc. At the same time if it lays flat on a roof, how's it supposed to vent. Ah trailer life lol.
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #26

RV covers are classic over-kill. They may help to keep them clean, but not much else. Most of that dirt washes right off. You aren't gaining much at all, using them
saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubya44 View Post
... We also take used kitty litter (clumps removed) from cat litter box and lay out a line of it all the way around the trailer.
Did you run out of sand ? Good gawd, man

saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #28

RV covers

I was going to buy one from Amazin but thought I better call the company first to ensure I was getting the right item. Thankfully when I called Classic accessories, i was told i needed the Sky shield to keep the uv rays from the AZ sun off the roof. It lasted 6 months, but when i called about the warranty, they said they had a new fabric that would perform much better... so the first version was awful, but their customer service was great and we'll see how long the new cover holds up...
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote