Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2019, 12:26 AM   #1

Trailer Cover

Have a 2020 Jay Feather 27RL and looking to purchase a cover for it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Make and size...
Gregory Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Peck View Post
Have a 2020 Jay Feather 27RL and looking to purchase a cover for it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Make and size...
The cover you need, depends somewhat on where you live, and the elements you want to protect your camper from. Is it going to be outside, inside a garage, under a roof structure with open sides, etc.

Measure your camper from the front of the body (don't include the tongue or propane tanks) to the most rearward point. This includes a spare tire bumper, and ladder if equipped.

There are many brands available, and I've been looking to replace ours, either this year, or next. You get what you pay for applies to them, as with anything else. I live in New York State, so snow, wind, and rain are what I have to contend with, here.

I've decided to get one from nationalrvcovers.com, and have narrowed it to two possibilities, after talking to their customer service people. They were very helpful answering my questions. (Our TT is 3" shorter than one size of cover and asked them if it would fit, they advised one size longer).

I read a lot of customer reviews, for several brands and manufacturers, and that's how I arrived at my decision. Just my personal take on your question. I hope it helps a little.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The cover you need, depends somewhat on where you live, and the elements you want to protect your camper from. Is it going to be outside, inside a garage, under a roof structure with open sides, etc.

Measure your camper from the front of the body (don't include the tongue or propane tanks) to the most rearward point. This includes a spare tire bumper, and ladder if equipped.

There are many brands available, and I've been looking to replace ours, either this year, or next. You get what you pay for applies to them, as with anything else. I live in New York State, so snow, wind, and rain are what I have to contend with, here.

I've decided to get one from nationalrvcovers.com, and have narrowed it to two possibilities, after talking to their customer service people. They were very helpful answering my questions. (Our TT is 3" shorter than one size of cover and asked them if it would fit, they advised one size longer).

I read a lot of customer reviews, for several brands and manufacturers, and that's how I arrived at my decision. Just my personal take on your question. I hope it helps a little.
Thank you very much for your personal take on my inquiry. I plan on storing my trailer outside on my side lot. I live in Southern Ontario and contend with the same weather conditions. I'll explore nationalrvcovers.com. Thanks again for your time and direction!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Site Team

You're very welcome. I have no stake in that company, but since covers are all they do, I think they're a good choice. The last cover I bought isn't available now as they changed the style to a lesser one. That's what prompted the searching.

Have fun shopping, and ask away if you have any other questions.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

I bought one several years ago. It was more a pain in the butt to put on and take off than it was worth so I simply opted for covered storage.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

My Adco cover held up for four off seasons before it started coming apart. At around $60/off-season I think it is well worth it. I clean the trailer before covering it in the Fall and when I uncover in the Spring I'm greeted by a trailer clean and pretty much ready for the first trip. I can't imagine cleaning of the dirt, leaves and crud that would accumulate over the late Fall and Winter if it was uncovered.

The cover are sized according to the size of the trailer. Getting one slightly larger would be the preference over too small. I use tennis balls over the water spouts to keep them from puncturing the cover. The may be other sharp corners you want to added something to (non-moisture absorbent) to help prevent premature wear.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #7

I bought one of the mid level covers from CW, so far so good, but the cover has not been off of the TT since the weather turned hot. One hole in it so far from the entry door steps (frame has sharp corners), but not an issue for me so far. If I get 3 years out of it, I'm good with that.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #8

Thanks for your info. on National RV covers! Ordered one today and just want to let you know how much I appreciate your help.
Take care and safe travels!
Old 10-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your info. on National RV covers! Ordered one today and just want to let you know how much I appreciate your help.
Take care and safe travels!
Glad I could help. It's what we all do.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #10

Are trailer covers really worth it? They keep them clean in the off season, but what else are they good for?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Being in snow country, that's why we use a cover. It goes on in the fall, and off in the spring.

It also protects against sun damage, and if you live where there's blowing sand, it protects the finish from sandblasting.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #12

I have a classic, supposedly their top of their line, 5 year warranty. After 10 months in the weather outside in the SF Bay Area, the cover was torn in the front and back. The weather here is mild, a breeze every day, but not high winds. Winter is mild too. In other words, not a lot of stress on a cover. The up side is I returned the cover and it was replaced at no charge. Still, 10 months?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #13

Calmark
Old 10-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #14

Awesome Cover!

We purchased a Kingbird cover on Amazon for a decent price for our 2018 37ft. Eagle. It's been through one year so far and seems to be in great shape. We also bought the gutter spout covers to put on before the cover. That is usually what causes them to rip or shred in the wind. It survived the long winter really well. The important thing to remember with RV covers, is that they have to be able to breath, or you will get water buildup underneath them, which can cause moss/alge growth under them, as well as the buildup freezing, which is what plastic tarps can cause, which can be very bad for your roof, or even destroy it. This was the third one I've owned, and they usually last about 4 or 5 seasons. Hope this helps.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #15

Just Bought An RV Cover

Quote:
Someone else mentioned National Covers. I concur. I have a Jayco 212 QBW RME and you basically measure the length of the "box" including the spare tire on the back bumper. You do not include the hitch portion in the front.

The covers are for a range of lengths and mine fit into the 22 - 24 ft zone.

Anyone in the US will find the pricing pretty competitive. Mine was shipped to Canada so I incurred extra costs for shipping, broker fees and the exchange on the dollar. Despite the extra costs, it really is peace-of-mind to protect the trailer during the winter months.
Kasloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #16

Calmark

Calmark-sunbrella fabric. I’ve had mine 6 years no rips no tears(I do cover downspouts with pool noodle pieces) a little pricey, but custom made to your measurements, zippered door openings where your doors are, great fit.
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Are trailer covers really worth it? They keep them clean in the off season, but what else are they good for?
Here in SoCal the sun is brutal in the summer.

Keeps the UV rays off of the roof and fiberglass. I have always used tire covers also,easy to put on and take off. T

The RV cover not so much. It's a pain but worth the effort to me.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #18
L&G

Our dealer advised against covering. He told us the rubbing of the covers cause more damage than no cover. Also told a story of raccoons getting under a cover and enjoying the trailer all winter because no one saw them coming and going.
L&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasloguy View Post
Someone else mentioned National Covers. I concur. I have a Jayco 212 QBW RME and you basically measure the length of the "box" including the spare tire on the back bumper. You do not include the hitch portion in the front.

The covers are for a range of lengths and mine fit into the 22 - 24 ft zone.

Anyone in the US will find the pricing pretty competitive. Mine was shipped to Canada so I incurred extra costs for shipping, broker fees and the exchange on the dollar. Despite the extra costs, it really is peace-of-mind to protect the trailer during the winter months.
Picking up my National RV cover for my 2020 JFeather 27RL Monday. It shipped from California in 5 days to DetroitMailbox.com (I have a personal United States shipping address and mailbox there as I live across the border in Tecumseh, Ontario.) Saves the shipping costs, less tax and if the customs officer is kind no duty. I also make sure my gas tank is empty and fill up at the bridge duty free before crossing. Great communication from National throughout the process.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #20

Had an Adco cover for TT, this held up very well considering winters in NW Wisconsin. Had 2 year warranty, but still looked like new after 4 years. Key is to get cover that fits length of TT. I'm now looking to get cover of new 5vr.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote