Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer Covers

Took our 23MBH Whitehawk on its maiden voyage this weekend and was a big success! Can't wait to use it the rest of the camping year but don't want the season to go to fast. What I was wondering when the time comes, should I put a cover over the trailer for the winter months? Will this just cause moisture produce and promote rot? I see a lot of campers do cover the wheels and I've seen airconditioners covered as well. Just been wondering what anyone thinks.
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
I did not for my first winter but I am not an expert. I was just not wanting to use a latter To put it on with. I really would like an answer as well.
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #3

Thanks Jamaddox, hopefully someone will have an answer. One of the reasons I'm curious is that I had an air conditioner /furnace repair man over to the house for a repair on our furnace . We got on the subject of air conditioners and covers. I told him I had the cover on my unit to protect it from the elements in the winter months and when it wasn't being used. He told me they were to protect the unit from falling ice from the eves trough. That if I left it on all the time when it wasn't needed, that it would hold moisture and eventually rust out parts and shorten the life of the unit. Kind of makes sense. I'm wondering if it would do the same to my trailer if I put one on.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 AM   #4

100% Yes

From a fellow Ontarian I will tell you 100% yes put a cover on! There are a few very good reason to do this. Particularly in our climate and almost all of them protect your investment long term.

1) Protect your paint - you are going to park it 6 months of the year. why let the sun destroy your investment
2) Reduce the damage done by roof oxidation - the cover helps keep the black streaks from building up over the winter.
3) Insurance against unforseen winter leaks.

Number three is really my number 1 reaason based on personal experience. I had a 2013 TT. Last winter (only it's second) one of my skylights became brittle and cracked in several places. If I had not had a cover I suspect the spring water damage would have been beyond repair. I have always bought the Tyvek covers for my rigs and go South of the border to make my purchase as they are much cheaper. They are designed to breathe and allow appropriate air flow around your RV.

And one final benefit... Because I have the cover on (as well as a Maxx Air vent cover), I keep the bathroom vent cracked open all winter, in 10 years I have not had a musty smelling opening yet.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Team

I use a cover every winter. It is nice to uncover in the spring and find a nice clean TT. Just DO NOT use a regular tarp they do not breath.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #6

Thank you Griswald One and WVDUSTY, looks like I'll be planning a trip to the US before winter. Griswald One, would I still need wheel covers if I have the cover for the RV? I'll get them too if I do. Just one more question here, I have a skylights overthe kitchen and bathroom. Would you recommend laying towels over them as well. Sorry for all the questions, this is first rig we've owned. Thank you again!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

I have never used a cover.

The only reason I like a cover for is to keep the UV rays off the trailer, roof and walls.

I do not like a cover because the wind can cause the cover to move around in some spots and cause wear on the finish of the trailer if not secured tightly at all times and the hassle of putting it on and off.

Pros and cons, you have to decide what works for you.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Site Team

We do use a cover, also. After the last time out, empty out all the mouse food/nest material/ruined-by-freezing stuff, wash, (wax if there's time), and cover up, and install tire covers, too. Ditto on the black streaks, and birdpoo. You'll be happier in the spring, when it's already clean and ready to go.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Remembories View Post
Thank you Griswald One and WVDUSTY, looks like I'll be planning a trip to the US before winter. Griswald One, would I still need wheel covers if I have the cover for the RV? I'll get them too if I do. Just one more question here, I have a skylights overthe kitchen and bathroom. Would you recommend laying towels over them as well. Sorry for all the questions, this is first rig we've owned. Thank you again!
The tire covers are a good idea to protect the rubber. My understanding is Trailer tires are not as resilient as your car tires and are prone to UV damage. That being said I don't use them because I have no Southern exposure so mine are always shaded. Not sure where the towel's will help with the skylights? The brittleness in mine is not uncommon, it comes from the summertimme UV exposure and in my case likely the very cold winter we had last year. But if you do put a cover on be sure to pad any sharp points to prevent tears. You can anticipate a good cover lasting 3-5 seasons at best... So an investment of about $100 per year.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

I've never used a cover over the whole unit. I use an AC cover only over the winter months, same for tire covers. And those mostly to deter the wheels from rusting.

The only issue I had over the 10 years we had our last trailer was the decals fading out.
DocBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #11

I have a 2014 White Hawk 27RBOK that I bought last July and didn't put a cover on it for the first year - I live in Southern California. This past spring, I noticed the cap is beginning to oxidize and it's only a year old. I waxed it three times in the first year. I recently bought a cover and intend to put it on after each use. I think covers are a good thing if put on correctly and ensure you pad the sharp spots.
WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Do you possibly have a local fairgrounds that stores rv's, boats, etc during the winter inside?

We just placed a deposit today at one of our local fairgrounds.

What part of Ont are you in?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #13

Thanks for your input everyone! need-a-vacation I live in Oshawa just east of Toronto. I don't know of a fairground near by that stores trailers. It is a great idea though. Looks like I will be going south of the border and get a deal on a some covers for the trailer and wheels! Appreciate everyone's help!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Remembories View Post
Thanks for your input everyone! need-a-vacation I live in Oshawa just east of Toronto.!
Just in case you need a reminder of our winters here,

HTT was all nice and shiny when we took the cover off for this season.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #15

Maybe try calling a couple fairgrounds and ask. I never knew about it until a friend (when we first met) told me about keeping his boat there.

Wondered if by chance you were up in the Soo area. In Laws have a cabin east of the Soo.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #16

The last winter we had with all the snow and cold weather in to the end of April we got is still fresh in my mind Dagwood. Can't complain though, they're calling it Julyuary in Newfoundland. Single digit temperatures Celsius........mittens, gloves, touques.........Brrrrr!!! Need-a-vacation, I'll call around and see. Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #17
Site Team

RV cover poll and discussion;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-15377.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #18

I was wondering if the Tyvek covers have fairly soft material on the underside of the cover? Soft enough to prevent scratches on the fiberglass?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
Site Team

Not sure what's under the Tyvek covers, although they are an upgrade from the "Aquashed" ones. I believe the material itself is fairly soft, and they strap down well. Also, once you get your first snowfall it doesn't move much. We'll be going to the Tyvek one after our current one wears out. Haven't had any issue with rubbing, just the wear from the gutter extensions. Now we install a piece of foam pipe insulation on them first.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #20

I would call it soft

I would call the material on the Tyvek covers soft. They are actually two materials, the roof covreing is water resistant while the sides provide sun and dirt protection.

I like the note on the snow holding them in place and my cover has at least a dozen straps to hold it down. I already mentioned the water damage my cover saved me from... I forgot to mention the damage from the one year my rig was not covered in the winter. It was in the shop for electrical work it's first winter so the dealer kept it on their yard. My end cap was curved and after a bad freeze/thaw cycle without the cover on, a sheet of ice slid down the front gouging my decals. The dealer was brutal and refused to repair the damage... one of the many reasons I sold that TT in only it's third year.

Those that have said they can be a struggle to put on... Are accurate. I always take my teenage son along to help out. First time out of the box is actually the hardest. The secret to easier application is actually in the removal. I have my son stand at the back of the trailer and feed the cover into the box, putting the back end in first and working towards the front. That way the next time you put it on you are pulling it up and over the trailer. The way the Ontario camping season goes, you really only do this once a year so the hardships are fairly minimal