Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #1

Trailer grounded during lighting storm

I have a surge protector I bought for pm camper. However a discussion came up at an RV store I was shopping at about the camper in a lighting storm. They were discussing how the camper is grounded during a storm. One guy was buying the Lynx blocks and the sales guy and another guy told him make sure he only uses them under three of his stabilizers. He said one of them should always be in contact with the ground, during a storm. Most people put wood under the tounge jack and wood under the wheels. (I put wood only under one side). Then you put the Lynx under the stabilizers and your trailer is not grounded. Is it like a car grounded through the tires. However this is not an earth ground. Was interesting to listen to but still left confused. What are your thoughts on this. I have a copper ground rod with a quick clamp and short copper wire, I have used that once when we were in Virginia and sever thunder and lighting storm approached. I have always wondered this
Attached Thumbnails
camperpicyard2016.jpg  

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer grounded during lighting storm

I don't have an answer when it comes to a camper. But a car is not grounded by the tires. The car is isolated from ground by the rubber tires. So a car is a less likely path for lighting to travel through... this is at least my understanding. Therefore I'd rather have my camper isolated from ground as much as possible... To make the camper a less likely path for the lighting. I'm sure anything can be a target but I'd rather minimize the chance than use a ground rod attached to the camper which should raise the chance....

Curious what others think. Definitely a great topic I have yet to see discussed. We have only camped during one bad lighting storm...

EDIT: so this had me so curious I looked online and it says car tires don't protect you it's the metal structure around you that the car is made of that keeps you relatively safe... so now idk what I think lol....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I don't have an answer when it comes to a camper. But a car is not grounded by the tires. The car is isolated from ground by the rubber tires. So a car is a less likely path for lighting to travel through... this is at least my understanding. Therefore I'd rather have my camper isolated from ground as much as possible... To make the camper a less likely path for the lighting. I'm sure anything can be a target but I'd rather minimize the chance than use a ground rod attached to the camper which should raise the chance....

Curious what others think. Definitely a great topic I have yet to see discussed. We have only camped during one bad lighting storm...
You are correct SouthCo. You do NOT want to create a path to ground for the current from a lightening bolt. My husband and I have worked in electronics for over 40 years and have sometimes learned the hard way about completing a path to ground for current to flow.(it does hurt!) Our trailer when camping is isolated from ground by wooden blocks for the jacks and tires when necessary for leveling. We have ridden out a number of thunderstorms and never had a problem...
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #4

I use these under all of my stabilizer legs as well as my tongue jack so coupled with the tires, I have no path to ground either. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44600-U...016V2JQWI?th=1
Old 05-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

Electricity will take the path of least resistance to ground.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

Grounding is a pretty complex subject. The important thing to keep in mind is if you are plugged into the pedistal at the camp site, you are grounded to the pedistal, most likely poorly and this is worse than not being grounded at all. We've had numerous occasions here in Colorado where moving vehicles have been struck while driving. Last year we had a fatality up near Boulder, dude on a motorcycle was hit. Point being you cannot assume that the rubber tires on your camper are going to prevent a strike from directly impacting you. Lightening hits things all the time that people would assume it won't. You have a billion volts trying to get to the ground, anything and everything in it's path is at risk - even if that item is not grounded at all. Lightening frequently passes through items on its way to a better ground. i.e. the frame of your camper is inches off the earth. lightening will have no problem at all going through your frame, on it's way to the ground via a secondary arc. Ground to cloud lightening is also extremely common. That big steel frame that is grounded to everything in your camper makes a fine short cut for these type of strikes.

All those antennas sticking up on your roof can / and will attract lightening. The electronics inside your camper are all grounded as well. Either to your battery, or to that less than ideal common ground point where you are plugged in. Having a metal 'foot' making ground contact isn't a bad idea because it supplies another basic ground point, although not a very good one. If you are going to be grounded at all, it needs to be a good one to provide any value.

I'm a ham radio guy and work on large antenna farms. These systems take direct hits every year without issue because we spend most of our time and money on the grounding system.. not realistic for campers and while our equipment survives the experience, if a person was in the 'radio shack' at the moment of the strike, they likely would not.

This is a dangerous statement
"You do NOT want to create a path to ground for the current from a lightening bolt."

The entire point of grounding your equipment IS to provide a path to ground. Not having one results in property destruction, and potential electrocution. If you don't give lightening a good path to ground, it will vaporize your camper if it's struck, and probably will anyway... it's hard to really know what to do.

If you are 100% sure that all chains are off the ground, you are not plugged into *anything* and your electronics are all off, you probably are a little safer than the guy that is plugged into the pedistal, a generator, or has a random wire touching the ground but I wouldn't bank on that. Just my 2 cents.

One other thing.. by far - our biggest risk is not direct strikes, but the one that hits the ground or that tree 20 feet away from you, works it's way into the power system at the camp ground and fries every RV in the park that doesn't have a good EMS installed. If your goal is to protect yourself from these type of events, get a good EMS and try not to worry about it

If I was at a long term site, I would pound a ground rod and bond it to the frame of my camper with heavy gauge wire.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #7

So you don't want to create a path to ground with a ground rod to the frame you want to isolate the trailer by using the blocks. Under the stabilizers and tounge jack

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

It takes about 10,000 volts to create a one-inch spark. Lightning has millions of volts and easily can jump 10-20 feet. (edit - I guess I read that here somewhere)

Your camper is less than 2 feet from the earth, usually only just a few inches. Your rig with all of its metal components, skin, frame, etc is never isolated from that.. even if you are unplugged and powered down.

You don't have to create the path to ground, but if you don't, trust the lightening will do it for you, and you won't like the result

Those half foot lego blocks don't isolate you from lightening anymore than wearing sneakers in a thunder storm isolates the human body from the same problem.

I guess my only advise for short term campers is if you have a big thunderstorm moving in, you may want to unplug from the pedistal even if you have an EMS, make sure you don't leave your power cord hanging on the ground, make sure your safety chains are off the ground, fold up your stairs... since they are almost touching the ground usually and pray that lightening doesn't do what it usually does, and hit the highest structure in the vicinity, weather it is grounded or not -

Keep in mind airplanes get hit fairly frequently and they are miles above the nearest earth ground. Lightening is only slightly more predictable than my spouse. All that said - I don't worry about it at all When it's my time, it's my time.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Site Team

Your TT is grounded through your shore power cable to the pedestal.

Here is a link to a thread on Lightning and Recreation Vehicles (RVs)
Post#1

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...rvs-26118.html

I usually put this out each spring.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Post#1

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Looks like we read the same article

This is one of the other good ones.. Lightning and Recreational Vehicles (RVs)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
I have a surge protector I bought for pm camper. However a discussion came up at an RV store I was shopping at about the camper in a lighting storm. They were discussing how the camper is grounded during a storm. One guy was buying the Lynx blocks and the sales guy and another guy told him make sure he only uses them under three of his stabilizers. He said one of them should always be in contact with the ground, during a storm. Most people put wood under the tounge jack and wood under the wheels. (I put wood only under one side). Then you put the Lynx under the stabilizers and your trailer is not grounded. Is it like a car grounded through the tires. However this is not an earth ground. Was interesting to listen to but still left confused. What are your thoughts on this. I have a copper ground rod with a quick clamp and short copper wire, I have used that once when we were in Virginia and sever thunder and lighting storm approached. I have always wondered this
It is not uncommon here in Texas to get caught by a surprise thunderstorm in the middle of the night. The last 2 trips out DW and I have been awakened by thunder and as a result have now decided the camper is insured and can be replaced but even though we are insured we cannot. Consequently we have now decided we will have a pre-planned exit strategy to a sound brick structure and some clothing at the ready should we be awakened again. Our next outing is to an RV Park that actually has below ground tornado shelters in Oklahoma (tornado ally). This thread was really interesting but I've decided I will come back to the trailer to find out what lightning did to it in the event of a strike rather than try to ride it out and see what happens during

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #12

Mr. Ben Franklin marketed a solution to this problem 250 years ago.

Create a safe path for the lightning to follow...

Make sure that ALL of the metal parts of our RVs are solidly connected together. Insure that the highest conductive item is well above any other protrusions and will not be damaged by the heat of the electricity passing through it.

Then connect stout wires at all 4 corners to the frame and metallic siding. Connect them to 50" or better grounding rods, properly pounded into The Earth.

Disconnect from the pedestal or genset and stow the cord to prevent lightening from exiting via the converter.

Easy!

Now how many of us will spend that much money, time and effort to be completely safe? Or will we take the risks associated with Life and ENJOY our time away!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

+1 Faraday cages. Cars and most vehicles are protected because you're in a steel cage. The tires don't do it. Fiberglass campers are another story and I'm not sure what the science is for them. Most info says stay away from the sides and external conductors when in them. Electronics can be toasted even from a nearby strike so protection for them is not easy.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 AM   #14

This is interesting , Thank you. We should all know about this.

2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #15

There is a reason after a tornado the news is always interviewing a guy in a John Deer hat with a tire gage in his pocket. He is the guy who tried to ride it out in a TT or mobile home. If the electrical storm is bad enough to cause concern get the heck out of the TT and ride it out in the bath house or some other brick and mortar structure.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Post#1

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thanks for reposting Mustang65. Seems to cover all the bases for lightning protection in an RV. Good to see reference to skin effect, Faraday's cage and step voltage as these concepts are important to understanding the effects of lightning hazards.
Hope to see this link posted every year!
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #17

I'm not an English teacher, but for those who care at all, the word is "lightning". No "e" in it.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #18

Nope nobody cares lol. I see other misspelled words but I'm not pointing them out!
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote