Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #21

Another solution you can try that works for many is adding another set of scissor jacks just in front of the tires. I am seriously considering this..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #22

We have a 27RLS also and the trailer sits so high that the stabilizer jacks are really extended just to reach the ground. I cut some blocks from a 4x6 and use them on their side under the stabilizers to reduce the extension some and I also use X-Chocks.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
We have a 27RLS also and the trailer sits so high that the stabilizer jacks are really extended just to reach the ground. I cut some blocks from a 4x6 and use them on their side under the stabilizers to reduce the extension some and I also use X-Chocks.
I use both the JT Strong-arms and a pair of Roto-chocks. Holds the 5er very steady. I know that Roto-chocks aren't available anymore (they were a Mom & Pop shop, and when they retired, the shop was closed). From what I'm told, the X-Chocks are almost as good as the Roto's....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #24

Ouestion, do you put home made stabilizer down first then stabilizer jack or vice versus?
Goldenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:20 AM   #25

Smile

When I used the homemade ones I would out the jacks down first then put the 2X4's in and tighten the straps. What will happen if you use ratchet straps the trailer will rise up, then I lower the stabilizers down but don't lower them too much. I put 3 sets of homemade arms one in the front, back, and under the center going the length of the trailer. Once I locked them in the trailer stabilizers were pretty much useless. However, I got tires of lugging around 2X4's and bit the bullet and purchased the Bal-Lock arms that attach to the stabilizers and the frame. With those and the Bal-Lock wheel locks between the tires the trailer felt like it was ona concrete foundation.

Hope this helps...I do miss these boards, I sold my trailer and bought a lake house a few months ago.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:36 AM   #26
Site Team

No reason to stay away. You're more than welcome to stick around helping folks out.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #27

Installation Help?

Ready to pull the trigger on Bal stabilizer bars but wondering how many to get and install. And where they are needed? Two sets for just the Front jacks or 4 sets for all 4 jacks. Thanks
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #28

I purchased a set of these for my 45' toy hauler. https://www.therockrvstabilizer.com/

They work as advertised. Trailer doesn't jiggle at all once these are set up. Only takes a few minutes to put in place, and they are ROBUSTLY built.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaM3 View Post
I purchased a set of these for my 45' toy hauler. https://www.therockrvstabilizer.com/

They work as advertised. Trailer doesn't jiggle at all once these are set up. Only takes a few minutes to put in place, and they are ROBUSTLY built.
I just put a message on their website, but how much were they?

Bought our first Travel Trailer at age 51. Shouldn't have waited so long!
Jose&Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #30

Two sets of the large 'heavy duty' versions were around $300 shipped. They are built very well, doubt they will ever need replaced. Designed for a lifetime of use. Once adjusted on a gravel pad with my 45' TH, which weighs ~18k lbs, no perceptible wiggle.

I also use the anderson jack blocks too. With these two things, it literally feels solid like a home.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #31

If you are handy and have a few tools you can do this for about $75 for a pair that covers either the front or the back. I only put them on the back of mine and it cut down on the side to side motion considerably. Thinking about putting a set on the front but just have not gotten to it yet. Everything was purchased at Home Depot. It is not my invention, stole it from another thread last year. I also added an extra set of scissor jacks just in from of the front axle.
Attached Thumbnails
20200323_185102b.jpg   20200325_095322b.jpg  
Old 01-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #32

What is really good about the rock product is they are threaded, so you can 'load' them as needed per leg. They were the best product for this out of all the ones I reviewed, especially for a larger/heavier trailer.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
This is what I found on the forum a while back and I use it on my trailer. It takes away almost all movement if done correctly.

3 ratchet straps
2 2x4's
6 eye bolts
Oh and I painted the black too just not in the photo. So add another $5 for the rattle can of paint.

Cut to fit within the trailer frame and pull tight. Took 100% of the wiggle out. I can hang my little flash light by the door and jump up and down or shake side to side and it doesn't even move! I was just about to click purchase on Amazon for the JT stabilizers but found this idea off the forum and headed to lowes and saved over $200.
If you're on a hard, level surface, fine. On an uneven surface, you'd have to bring your board stretcher wouldn't you?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
When I used the homemade ones I would out the jacks down first then put the 2X4's in and tighten the straps. What will happen if you use ratchet straps the trailer will rise up, then I lower the stabilizers down but don't lower them too much. I put 3 sets of homemade arms one in the front, back, and under the center going the length of the trailer. Once I locked them in the trailer stabilizers were pretty much useless. However, I got tires of lugging around 2X4's and bit the bullet and purchased the Bal-Lock arms that attach to the stabilizers and the frame. With those and the Bal-Lock wheel locks between the tires the trailer felt like it was ona concrete foundation.

Hope this helps...I do miss these boards, I sold my trailer and bought a lake house a few months ago.
We also live in a lake house. We bought our Jayco to use as a guest house and for when the need for a couple days change of scenery arises.
Don't rule out buying another travel trailer.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #35

My wife complained about the trailer wiggling while she was trying to sleep. My tolerance for griping without offering a solution is very low.

We do the trailer thing together, and she enjoys it as much or more than I do, yet somehow most of the trailer work falls on me. What's that all about? Ya'll wanted equal rights, and I endorsed that from the get-go, but equal is equal.

I told her the wiggle doesn't bother me, but told her there may be products that will reduce the wiggle (of course, I already knew all about x chocks) and suggested she look into it and take care of the order and installation.

She immediately decided the wiggle wasn't so bad.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #36

I had the same problem as you did. I ordered the JT Strong arms and X-chocks. Problem solved. Although you are not going to totally eliminate the wiggle from what I have experience. You can reduce it.
Man Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #37

I use all of these and put them in order of setup (anything that touches the ground sits on a bunch of pre-cut 2x6 boards I always carry around):

1. Chocks.
2. Front trailer jack.
3. Standard scissor jack's setup with a drill with variable torque settings, I use an 8 setting out of 18.
4. The wooden outrigger boards homemade with pressure treated 2x6's.
5. Go back with drill and use a setting of 6 to catch any play on the scissor jacks.
6. X-chocks.

The next morning when tires have cooled down and the trailer has settled a little bit from my family's movement I tighten everything - x-chocks need the most, a click on the ratchet straps, and a quick pass with the drill.

My son and I take about 15 min working together to accomplish this and yes it does suck. When covid is done and I start taking multi-day trips setting up each day and tearing down the next, I plan to install JT-strongarms or the equivalent.

The upside is that my trailer is nearly as stable as my house.

Why dealerships dont market packages included with purchase price at time of sale for these sort of things is probably a part of a greater narrative on the RV industry.