Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Trailer "popping" off ball

So, for our first 2 trips no problems, but when unhooking after setting up and then coming home, the TT hitch is lifting and popping off the ball.

I haven't greased the ball, but there is still quite a bit on there.

I have a 2015 28 BHBE

I use an Equalizer hitch with 12,000 lb rating

I tow with a 2011 F 150 with Ecoboost, crew with 6.5 ft bed

I level side to side, then choke the ground wheels, then X-chock both sides, then unhook and level front to back.

I'm going to clean and regrease the ball and inside the hitch to see if it helps. I use wheel packing grease, as I can't/haven't gotten the Equalizer grease.

Any ideas? Thoughts?
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

Sometimes there is a nut on the bottom of the hitch. I had to tighten mine on a Coleman tent trailer years ago. My new Starcraft trailer does not. I would also make sure you have the correct ball and not worn out.
Daniel64485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

I will check for the nut. Ball is new 1 month ago
Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #4

Hmm - you mean it pops off even while you have the locking part down and pin in place?
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #5

Do you have the correct size ball???? Your RV probably uses a 2 5/16" hitch. Make sure your ball is that size.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

I think you mean that as you try to remove the hitch from the ball it hangs on and finally "pops" off with some force rather than just sliding off of the ball.

Whenever I have had that happen it has usually been because the truck and trailer were not on level ground. Meaning, the truck was slanted nose up or nose down while the trailer wasn't at quite the same angle due to one being on a slope while the other was parked more flat. It also happens when the truck and trailer have the same issue side to side. For example, truck is slanted left or right but the trailer is pretty much level.

Whenever my truck and trailer are not angled the same front/back or left/right then the hitch tends to hang onto the ball. I'm not sure there is much that can be done to prevent it short of keeping the ball well greased.

When my truck and trailer are on a basically flat surface this doesn't happen.

Generally, I find that campground sites are pretty flat and my hitch comes off the ball nice and easy. However, where I park my RV at home is on a bit more of a gradual slope and my hitch often "pops" off the ball there.

Could it be that you have the same issue of parking your trailer at an angle vs. the truck when unhitching?
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #7

We beat this topic to death recently like a rented mule but I'm always game to get a few licks in. Anytime you have tension or compression of the trailer/TV combo, the ball wants to stay engaged in the coupler. After you chock your trailer have you ever noticed the TV move slightly after you put it in park? That's enough movement to make the trailer coupler grab the ball on the underside of the ball radius near the necked down portion. When you jack the trailer up in this situation, you lift the TV until the upward pressure is great enough to pull the trailer forward or the TV backward and release the ball.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #8

Yes, I am unhitching. I have. 2 5/16 Equalizer ball.

At my home definitely sloped. Didn't think I was at the camp ground. And yes, TV does rock slightly when put in park. Even when I set the park break.

Great info, thanks guys. These were my thoughts, just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something
Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
We beat this topic to death recently like a rented mule but I'm always game to get a few licks in. Anytime you have tension or compression of the trailer/TV combo, the ball wants to stay engaged in the coupler. After you chock your trailer have you ever noticed the TV move slightly after you put it in park? That's enough movement to make the trailer coupler grab the ball on the underside of the ball radius near the necked down portion. When you jack the trailer up in this situation, you lift the TV until the upward pressure is great enough to pull the trailer forward or the TV backward and release the ball.
This is why I don't set the brake on the truck when I'm unhitching. There's just enough play to allow you to bump the truck or pull it toward you and release the bind. Unless it's on a SIGNIFICANT slope, I wouldn't set the brake.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is why I don't set the brake on the truck when I'm unhitching. There's just enough play to allow you to bump the truck or pull it toward you and release the bind. Unless it's on a SIGNIFICANT slope, I wouldn't set the brake.
+1 on this. Take your anger out on the truck, instead of hopping up and down on the hitch.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #11

Thanks guys!! No problems this weekend. I had the wife run the jack while I held just a light break in neutral. Truck moved enough to unhitch easily.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #12

I took our Jayco 32BHDS in this week because the trailer hitch would not lock onto the truck ball. The dealer said that they have seen several TT with the same problem. It seems to lock, but when all hooked up the trailer coupler lock pops up. Which indicates that trailer is not locked onto the truck ball.
LesBevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post

Your 100% right, if the truck rolls a little bit it makes it hard to get the coupler off the ball.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #14

This is not our 1st rodeo so to speak so I'm confused by why the problem with the disconnect is so much more problematic with our 2014 white hawk than with our previous TT. The WH is 5' longer and maybe 40% heavier, but the issue is 10X more of a problem now. I get the TV rolling back or forward when you set the tranny to park, but that should be the same as with our previous TT. Is there something different about the hitch that Jayco installs?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #15

Is the coupler on this trailer different than the one you had before? If so that my be why.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #16

The tilt of the hitch head could cause the ball to hang on a little longer and make it difficult to unhitch.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #17

To get the ball to release, try wiggling the back end of the TV from side to side by pushing on it a few times. It works for me most of the time.