Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #1

Trailer Questions during final inspection

Our Trailer is in and will be ready for pick up next week. When I do my final inspection / orientation are there any specific things to look for or ask that are of major importance??? other than the obvious. I had a look at it today with the family and we are all excited but I noticed a few things are different , at least from what I have seen from other dealers websites and on youtube videos of this unit ( Whitehawk 28dsbh ) nothing major I don't think but I am curious as to why it would be different.

Any tips/help is always apprecitaed.

Cheers and thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #2

When we had our pickup inspection I had them show me how to use (and verify that it worked) EVERY thing on the RV. We were there close to 3 hours going over it. I have heard of others who brought a video camera to record it. If nothing else take good notes and do not let the service person rush you.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

Had never been through a PDI on a TT before. Video/audio and note recording for sure. Then find nearest CG to dealer and stay for 2 days while you try to get it all to work.

Wish I had found this forum before the PDI.

Have fun with the new toy!
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

Bring a strong bright flashlight look everything over close. Look at counter tops I found they used too long of screws and went past the top so you could feel them it was replaced, carpetting in bed room was never tacked down dealer had to pull tight and put tack strip down, mirror had scrach in bathroom (replaced), drain pipe under sink was loose so water would drip on floor (dealer tighted up). Window was glued shut, dealer had to replace entire window and sliding strip. I found all this on my inspection, I would not sign off till it was taken care of. It took two weeks but all was perfect when I picked it up.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Make sure there is enough water in the Fresh Water tank to assure the sensors work.

Check all the door latches to be sure they are secure.

The dealer should have a PDI that has been gone thru by a tech.

Check operation of all appliances and electronics.

Have them demonstrate how to turn on and operate the TV and stereo.

Verify the birth date on the tires.

Take a little time to get familiar with hooking and unhooking before pulling out of the dealership.

Just a few off the top of my head.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Might check to see if the screen door will latch without the solid door attached. We got home it wouldn't latch and I used up all the adjustment still won't latch.
Farmer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

makesure they show you Everything works and how to operate it. also, ensure they show you the appliances running on gas, elect, battery as if you were boondocking. excellent point on the tank level sensors too.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
Our Trailer is in and will be ready for pick up next week. When I do my final inspection / orientation are there any specific things to look for or ask that are of major importance??? other than the obvious. I had a look at it today with the family and we are all excited but I noticed a few things are different , at least from what I have seen from other dealers websites and on youtube videos of this unit ( Whitehawk 28dsbh ) nothing major I don't think but I am curious as to why it would be different.

Cheers and thanks.
This s the fun part, they will have it all fired up and heat on and he will walk you through everything. They will show how things work. All you have to do is open doors, cupboards, check all the moldings, wall paper seams, check the fabrics, awning, make sure all the tools are there such as the manual handles to close up slides, stabilizer jacks. They will probably have it winterized and depending on you first outting, you might want to have them de-winterize. Here is the extra, they will ask you if you want a WDH, brake controller, extended insurance, paint protection. They did not charge me for installing the brake controller or the WDH. I bought the Primus proportional brake controller...I really liked it. It towed very well, I only had to back it off a little because it was grabbing a split second too soon. It comes with the small disc that will show you how it works. Then there was the insurance....I opted for a private carrier, instead of ICBC. I got full replacement coverage and I got it cheaper than ICBC. I only had to pay a minor amount for basic liabilty. Again congrats on your new TT!! It will be exciting to drive off the lot and say it's yours!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great tips and questions to ask.... I feel sorry for the guy I will be doing the walk around with....

I think I'll bring the video camera just in case.!!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
I think I'll bring the video camera just in case.!!!!!

well advised, wish i did.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Look on the roof and check your chaulking. They say they do that for you but if it has an issue it will be your dime to fix it. Make sure you try all the appliances so you know how they work. Our first trip we were looking for stuff to turn on and had trouble remembering where it was. If stuff doesn't look right get it checked before you sign the paper. We have had some warranty stuff done at Travelland and I have not been impressed with the work that was done. When you go on your first trip take a note pad as you may have some issues with the trailer that need to get fixed.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
Look on the roof and check your chaulking. They say they do that for you but if it has an issue it will be your dime to fix it. Make sure you try all the appliances so you know how they work. Our first trip we were looking for stuff to turn on and had trouble remembering where it was. If stuff doesn't look right get it checked before you sign the paper. We have had some warranty stuff done at Travelland and I have not been impressed with the work that was done. When you go on your first trip take a note pad as you may have some issues with the trailer that need to get fixed.
What exactly would I be looking for in regards to the chaulking? gaps in the seems??
Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Site Team

I personally would not feel to comfortable crawling around on the roof of a brand new trailer before pulling out of the lot. Just me. It comes with a warranty. If I did not feel comfortable with it then I may have the wrong manufacturer or dealer. I have purchased 2 new rigs.

I do feel comfortable doing roof inspections on a regular basis in my yard. A good roof inspection may take at least an hour of inspecting every caulk seam and roof opening looking for cracks and roof damage.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #14

My roof had a couple of wrinkles near my bathroom skylight and it took a couple of visits to get it repaired. As far as caulking just make sure everthing is covered up like it should be. You will be able to tell just by comparing what is up there, they should have a ladder to look from the edges.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #15

Quote:
we are all excited but I noticed a few things are different , at least from what I have seen from other dealers websites and on youtube videos of this unit ( Whitehawk 28dsbh ) nothing major I don't think but I am curious as to why it would be different.

Cheers and thanks.
If you read any manufacturers brochure and even their web sites they all state that their may be changes in the final product as a part of continuing product improvement.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #16

Tomorrow is the big day. Going to the dealerdhip for the final inspection and then hooking it up to bring home. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I hope everything will go smooth. Thanks for the helpfull tips.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #17

CREWMANIACS-- Be sure they give you a battery so the brakeaway switch will work god forbid you need it. Don't let them give you any crap about it either, they made enough money. Larry
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
CREWMANIACS-- Be sure they give you a battery so the brakeaway switch will work god forbid you need it. Don't let them give you any crap about it either, they made enough money. Larry
During the purchase of the trailer, I worked into the deal 2 6V batteries and a WDH hitch installed etc. I'm good to go I hope.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #19

The first time you take it out open all of the windows and doors and turn on the furnace and let it run for about a half hour to burn off all of the oils on the ductwork. We didn't know this and the first time our heat came on we almost got stunk out. It's been fine ever since we left it on for this burn in.
sgscomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #20

Make sure they show you how to winterize your trailer. Our dealer holds a winterizing session every year for free and covers what to do. Make sure you take notes with this because you will have to de-winterize in the spring.
sgscomps is offline   Reply With Quote