Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Trailer Roof Sealing

I have a 2012 Jayco 22FB Jayflight trailer.
I noticed a leak in the trailer and traced it to the roof seam at the front of the trailer.
I got up to the roof and found that I need to reseal this seam and, while I am at it, I would like to reseal all the roof seams and protrusions.
I called our local trailer sales and service company and they can’t get to it until September.
I would like to do it sooner and thought I might try it myself.
I wondered what kind of sealer I should use.
I recently saw an advertisement for Flex Seal Flex Paste and wondered if it would be a good product for this application.
I assume that I would need to remove most of all of the existing sealant before I apply the new stuff.
I am also looking for any tips on what to avoid and what I should be certain to do.
Any help would be much appreciated.
ffrederff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
Site Team

I didn't remove the old sealant, just cleaned it, and VERY carefully wiped it down with a rag that was lightly dampened with thinner. Being careful to touch only the old sealant, and not the roof material. Then used tubes of Dicor self-leveling sealant over the top of the old. Another more permanent method, is to use Eternabond. Either way, it's not hard to do, as long as you're comfortable being on the roof. It's recommended to check all the seams and protrusions once or twice a year.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:41 AM   #3

DO NOT use Flex seal paste! "As seen on TV is not the way to repair a roof. It is good as a temporary fix but you must remove it to do any proper repair. Use only recommended RV roof sealant. Google is your friend. Eternabond tape as mentioned above is the way to go with the front joint. I is expensive but there is a good reason for it. Also think about painting over the entire roof with a RV/Marine Acrylic roof coating. Amazon and google are an RV'ers must have friend.

http://www.rvroofing.com/products.html

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #4

As soon as I got my Northpoint I eterna-bonded every seam on the roof. now I sleep good at night. I know if something needs replacement it’s more work but I’ll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

Dicor self leveling Caulk or Eternabond is the only way to go. Do not use any silicone caulks.

Both options are really easy. Dicor might be faster, but if you plan to keep the TT for any amount of time Eternabond is the long term solution. Follow what JFlightRisk stated and it is easy, just glob it down and let it flow..

Eternabond is almost as easy. You have two options, first, remove most of the old caulking with a plastic putty knife and maybe a little heat. I skipped this step. Then apply the eternabond over the caulking joint. Not as clean looking, apply eternabond over the existing caulking (this is how I did it). 4" eternabond usually is wide enough. I used 6" eternabond, because my front seam was so gooped up that I was not sure 4" would be wide enough in a few areas. One critical item with eternabond Do NOT stretch it, or it will release over time.

I did my roof in two evenings after work. Day one, I washed the roof. Day two, I applied the eternabond. I did the front seam, around the roof vents, frig vent, both sewer vents, skylight. radio antenna. The round sewer and antenna, took a little creativity and time to seal up fully, but I am glad I took the time and effort.

If I had only done the front seam, it would have taken more time to get the tools and ladder than to do the job.

Good Luck, water is your #1 enemy in a camper.

No matter which way you go, first wash the enter roof.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #6

I took off all the old self leveling stuff on the front seam on mine and put enternabond on it and then used the dicor on the seams so it looks nice... i just dicored the rest.
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof sealing