Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Talking Trailer Setup on Blocks

Hey All,

First time Jayco and RV owner here, just got my 32BHDS delivered today to my permanent site! Whoohoo!

Have a few questions about putting it up on blocks since I've never done this.
  1. I'm thinking of of 7 columns of blocks 2 rear, 2 in front of tires, 2 at the front, 1 under the jack. Probably 2-3 Levels of Blocks+Wood Shims. Does this seem reasonable?
  2. Do I place them on the steel frame or should I they go under the stabilizer jacks for the front and rear?
  3. Installation wise, do I just let the power jack down to lift the rear, block it and then move forward from there?
  4. Any tips otherwise for installation or leveling?
Thanks
John
jayco-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

I'm not entirely certain I'm sure what you are trying to accomplish... but don't use the stabilizer jacks to lift the trailer, they will not bear the weight.

Use a floor jack or similar, much easier and won't have to fix the trailer after...
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

You need extra jacks. I would not attempt to lift the trailer weight with the rear stabilizers or the tongue jack.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You need extra jacks. I would not attempt to lift the trailer weight with the rear stabilizers or the tongue jack.
Thanks I won't do that. Was actually thinking of just lowering the front to raise the back. Saw someone recommend it in a youtube video
Old 05-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

Are you thinking of using wood blocks or hollow cinder cement blocks? If the hollow cement blocks do not put them on there side. Thethe are very weak in that position.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #6

Without puting much thought into it, or knowing exactly what you are after, here is how i would probably go about it...

Back trailer in where you want and set it up like any other time at a campsite. (Level side to side with blocks under tires, then level front to rear with jack. Then use the factory installed trailer jacks).

Once that is complete, i would then start addingthe cocnrete block tiers (NOT ON THEIR SIDE, as already stated) where you see fit. Small round concrete pads may be nice for a base. Get them as close to the frame as possible. From there, drive in a qood quality wood shim.

Done.

olyelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

Congratulations. We also have a 2016 32BHDS on a permanent site. Instead of concrete blocks we purchased a set of stand jacks, put them on a flat 1/2 block and just snug them up against the frame. The stand jacks don't lift the trailer, just eliminate any bounce. We have been seasonal campers for over 25 years and that is how we've always done it.
Seasonal campers - no towing
BeenCamping40+Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyelr View Post
Without puting much thought into it, or knowing exactly what you are after, here is how i would probably go about it...

Back trailer in where you want and set it up like any other time at a campsite. (Level side to side with blocks under tires, then level front to rear with jack. Then use the factory installed trailer jacks).

Once that is complete, i would then start addingthe cocnrete block tiers (NOT ON THEIR SIDE, as already stated) where you see fit. Small round concrete pads may be nice for a base. Get them as close to the frame as possible. From there, drive in a qood quality wood shim.

Done.
Ok this is really great advice, so I really don't need to jack up/lift the trailer at all. Just level normally build concrete tiers and shim.

In terms of the number and placement of the tiers how do I determine where to put them there is nothing to indicate in the manual what the load bearing points on the frame are.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenCamping40+Years View Post
Congratulations. We also have a 2016 32BHDS on a permanent site. Instead of concrete blocks we purchased a set of stand jacks, put them on a flat 1/2 block and just snug them up against the frame. The stand jacks don't lift the trailer, just eliminate any bounce. We have been seasonal campers for over 25 years and that is how we've always done it.
That a good idea as well, what type of jack stands do you use? What is the weight rating I should look for?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

John, I helped a friend set his RV on blocks some years ago and it went really easily. Use 24"x424"x4" as a base block and use concrete blocks or metal jack stands above. You will likely need a few wooden shims, too. You will also need a bottle jack to raise the trailer ... I used a 12 ton jack that I already had. Place the supports at roughly 8 foot intervals below the frame that should wind up being 6 or 8 supports. Start in the back and raise it a little and block it then do the other back pier. Continue forward to the next position and do the same thing until you have the entire trailer on the piers with the tires clear of the ground and no weight on the tongue jack. Using a 3 to 6 ft level on the floor, level the left to right sides with shims, turn the level 90 degrees and fine tune the level back to front with shims, then recheck the side to side level. If you have a large slider, you may want to put one or two more supports under the slider frame to keep it solid, but do not try to jack it up. Another thing to consider is wind drag ... if you are subject to very high wind conditions, you should visit a mobile home parts store and buy some steel straps and anchors to keep the TT from toppling over in a very strong wind. They make a bracket that rests on the corner of the roof & wall and the strap would cross over the camper and tie to the frame below. Use a 1/2" drill to install the screw anchors. Take the tires off and store them out of the weather. You should be good to go!

......Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote