Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcarter54 View Post
Thats an easy fix - spend a few dollars and purchase an Equal-i-zer WDH!
While it IS a great hitch, even a poorly configured Equal-i-zer will cause the same kind of problems OP's having.

Before spending a fistful of bills, I would make sure what I have isn't going to work given a proper setup. People have been towing with that equipment for decades, and many are perfectly happy. If all your weights and measures are good, and it's still giving you trouble, then I would consider an upgrade.

But then, I get kind of hesitant about spending $600 to replace something if I haven't given it a fair chance to work properly.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I'd try moving it up a chain link. I can't hook or unhook the bars on either of my trailers without jacking both trailer and truck up with the tongue jack. Doesn't sound like you have much tension there.

You need the front end back to where it is when unhooked.
The more links I move the chain up, the easier it sways.
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #23
bap

Can you post a picture of the whole TV and Trailer hooked up? It might help everybody see what it looks like hooked up and give proper advice.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #24

This is the most convoluted answer I have ever seen. Nothing wrong with the WDH according to what the OP said. He has trailer sway with a conventional WD hitch seen in the picture (which does nothing for sway). Don't add a SECOND anti-sway yet, buy your FIRST one! You don't have any anti-sway yet. Add a second one if the first one doesn't work. Still doesn't work? Buy a more expensive hitch that includes both AS and WD in the same unit. And for God's sake get your e-brake cable properly attached to your truck. Looping it through the chain like that isn't going to do you any good as that hook will probably pull away before the cable ever pulls the brake.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Don't add a SECOND anti-sway yet, buy your FIRST one!
He states in the first post that he does have a sway bar installed tight, but it's on the other side so you can't see it on the picture...
Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I'm wondering if this is exacerbating a potential tongue weight/nose-up problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Can you post a picture of the whole TV and Trailer hooked up? It might help everybody see what it looks like hooked up and give proper advice.
+1. A pic of the entire setup would help. As would a measurement of the distance from frame rail to ground in the front and rear of the trailer after it's hooked up (to determine level of the trailer, assuming truck and trailer are all lined up and on level ground).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post
He states in the first post that he does have a sway bar installed tight, but it's on the other side so you can't see it on the picture...
Okay, I stand corrected (and apparently skipped that entire last sentence). Downloaded and zoomed the pic and can maybe just make out the top of the bar, still can't see where it is attached.

So place me firmly in the camp that says get a second anti-sway. Damn sight cheaper than replacing the entire WD setup. Also, figure out the tongue weight. Tail heavy on the TT will induce a lot of sway; try moving some weight up front if it measures light at the CAT scale (3-pass measurement) or get a Sherline scale (but costs a bit).
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #28

Quote:
If you mean "the more tension I put on the spring bars"...
The easier it sways.
That would also indicate too little tongue weight. When you increase the tension you are basically transferring more weight off of the hitch towards the front of the tow vehicle and the trailer axles.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #29

Look at my profile...love my ProPride. Buy it and never look back.
Xflyhighx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #30

There seem to be many problems at play here. Not enough tongue weight. Probably need two sway bars. I would do as other have suggested and start the set up process from the beginning after addressing the tongue weight issue.

There may be other hitches that others think are better. However, there are many towing out there without Equalizers, ProPrides or Hensley's and they don't have any problem. No reason the OP can't make what he has work just fine.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #31

Here is a photo of the entire unit.
I do have more stuff (heavy) in the front pass thru than the Sewer Stuff and hoses, plus some straps in the back storage area below the bunk.
Here is a photo I am level. Trailer frame is only about 1/2 inch lower in the front than in the rear. TV is pretty level also. Chains on the 2nd link.

Yes, road in photo is downhill and TV and TT are facing downhill.

By the way, the Brake breakaway cable running thru the chains is how the dealer set it up. I do intend to fix that.
Attached Thumbnails
20151101_135626.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #32

Trailer Sway

I tow a 35.5' 32BHDS with my 2500HD Silverado Durmax Diesel 3/4 ton. I had my hitch modified (added a piece of metal) on the left side to mount another ball to attach another sway bar. It helped considerably. Got a Husky S/B off Amazon for $50 bucks so the total mod cost me approximately $75.00. Certainly helps with trucks passing and broadside winds.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
I tow a 35.5' 32BHDS with my 2500HD Silverado Durmax Diesel 3/4 ton. I had my hitch modified (added a piece of metal) on the left side to mount another ball to attach another sway bar. It helped considerably. Got a Husky S/B off Amazon for $50 bucks so the total mod cost me approximately $75.00. Certainly helps with trucks passing and broadside winds.
I guess a 2nd sway bar is what I am going to need.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #34
bap

Looking at your picture of the whole rig, looks to me like your Expedition is sitting lower in the rear than the front. If you look at the clearance of your tires to the fenders, there is a noticeable difference with the front being much higher than the rear. That indicates you should tighten up your WDH hitch to shift more weight back on the front of your TV. Adding the 2nd sway bar will also help. When checking how level your TV is, you should be measuring at the fenders above the tires comparing the measurements from the front to the back. They should be very close to the same or slightly higher (1 inch or less) in the front, if your WDH is set up properly. They way it is sitting now, it looks like the front end of the TV is light which will magnify the sway effects. If you have the manual for your WDH hitch, it should have the setup procedures to set your hitch up properly for the best results. If you don't have the manual, get a copy.
Setting it up properly will make the towing experience much more pleasurable. Good Luck and have fun camping.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #35

Quote:
I guess a 2nd sway bar is what I am going to need.
Before buying a second sway bar, you should go weigh the rig set up as it it would be on a normal trip as mentioned, with 3 weights total. Have all the passengers that usually go in the tv as well. Follow my signature link for the CAT Scale how to, and in the thread there is a link for to find the nearest scale. Then report back with the numbers and we can help from there.

It really does sound like to light of a tw. But it is hard to say without any actual weights.

Do not worry about how level the tv is. Measuring (or weighing) the front fender (axle) when it is the tv only, the once the tt is hooked up and the wdh is adjusted properly, the front fender height (weight) will be back to the unhooked measurement at the most. The rear axle will be what it is. Have you looked in your tv owners manual to see what Ford recommends for a wdh adjustment? The biggest thing you should not do transfer more weight to the front axle when the wd bars are hooked than what the front axle weight is for the tv only.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #36

I can not tell from the pic where your hitch is set but I still believe that if you drop the ball assembly 1 hole, that will allow you to put more tension on the wd bars and thereby transfer weight to the steer axle without increasing sway.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote