Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer Tongue Fell (Ideas to Prevent Again)

So on our last trip I backed into the spot at a pretty severe angle. I chocked the tires on both sides, front and back, using the solid rubber chocks from harbor freight. I then proceeded to un hitch.

Just as the coupler came off the ball the trailer jumped to the side a couple inches and teetered on the edge of my stacked lynx levelers about 6 high. Now the ball was not lined up to the coupler anymore so I couldn’t easily lower it back on. As I held it there my wife came over and I asked her to hold it so it doesn’t fall off. I went to the truck to line it back up but just as I did the front slid off and hit the ground. Sounds worse than it was as the tongue jack just landed on the ground and nothing bad happened. Scary though.

I imagine it was from the lateral strain from backing up at an angle. Nonetheless, I need a solution so it doesn’t happen again. So does everyone else that uses wood blocks.

Anyone have any ideas? I need something that extends my jack about 8” more than my foot pad that is already extended. I don’t like extending my tongue jack too much as it causes rocking.

I’ve not seen anything that seems much safer so I might make something. I’m thinking something like a 10”x10” block about 10” high with a 1” circle routed into it would work. Seems like it would also help stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

I use two of these, and when the tension is set correctly the tires are locked down good—> Fastway ONEstep Tandem Axle Wheel Chock - Progress 84-00-4000 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Old 04-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
So on our last trip I backed into the spot at a pretty severe angle. I chocked the tires on both sides, front and back, using the solid rubber chocks from harbor freight. I then proceeded to un hitch.

Just as the coupler came off the ball the trailer jumped to the side a couple inches and teetered on the edge of my stacked lynx levelers about 6 high. Now the ball was not lined up to the coupler anymore so I couldn’t easily lower it back on. As I held it there my wife came over and I asked her to hold it so it doesn’t fall off. I went to the truck to line it back up but just as I did the front slid off and hit the ground. Sounds worse than it was as the tongue jack just landed on the ground and nothing bad happened. Scary though.

I imagine it was from the lateral strain from backing up at an angle. Nonetheless, I need a solution so it doesn’t happen again. So does everyone else that uses wood blocks.

Anyone have any ideas? I need something that extends my jack about 8” more than my foot pad that is already extended. I don’t like extending my tongue jack too much as it causes rocking.

I’ve not seen anything that seems much safer so I might make something. I’m thinking something like a 10”x10” block about 10” high with a 1” circle routed into it would work. Seems like it would also help stability.

do you not have a foot on your tongue jack? It is a mushroom shaped piece so the footprint is much larger than the round jack. I built a block out of 2 X 10", about a foot high which I place on the ground then lower the jack onto it. I have never had it slip or move any, even on very in-level ground. The foot also helps with stability.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
do you not have a foot on your tongue jack? It is a mushroom shaped piece so the footprint is much larger than the round jack. I built a block out of 2 X 10", about a foot high which I place on the ground then lower the jack onto it. I have never had it slip or move any, even on very in-level ground. The foot also helps with stability.

Good Luck.

I have a foot that attaches to the bottom. It’s about 6” in diameter, but I need more height.

No matter how well the trailer chocked if it’s under a bit of stress it may move an inch or so when it comes off the ball...

Old 04-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

Here's the foot I use and at home I just place a 6x6 under it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Here's the foot I use and at home I just place a 6x6 under it.

That one could just as easily slip off. I guarantee even a properly chocked trailer could be pushed enough on be front or worse, when the ball comes off the coupler and the trailer tongue releases it can move an inch or two.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:

Before unhooking from your pickup and putting your jack down. Block your trailer tires, put the truck in neutral put your foot on the brake and release the emergency brake. Take your foot off the brake slowly and see if the trailer moves. If the truck and trailer do not move, you should be safe to unhook the trailer. The truck and trailer should move a inch or two, but it will be a controlled roll to tighten up the wheels up on the blocks. You might be doing this, but I just thought I would toss it out there. I do this and have never had a problem with movement when unhooking.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
Before unhooking from your pickup and putting your jack down. Block your trailer tires, put the truck in neutral put your foot on the brake and release the emergency brake. Take your foot off the brake slowly and see if the trailer moves. If the truck and trailer do not move, you should be safe to unhook the trailer. The truck and trailer should move a inch or two, but it will be a controlled roll to tighten up the wheels up on the blocks. You might be doing this, but I just thought I would toss it out there. I do this and have never had a problem with movement when unhooking.

I do that if I’m on level ground. But if I’m on a slope then that wouldn’t work.

I think I’m gonna go the safe route and just visit Home Depot and make a big block and use my router to make a big hole recess for the jack pad to sit in. This way it won’t ever move.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Have you considered an Anderson Jack Block?
https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ack-block.aspx
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Have you considered an Anderson Jack Block?
https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ack-block.aspx

Yes but it’s recessed area is too big. The spot for the jack requires me to remove my foot which would be counter productive since I need the height it gives.

I guess it doesn’t have to fit perfectly into that recessed area but it’s really expensive for a piece of plastic. My wood idea is the same...

Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Yes but it’s recessed area is too big. The spot for the jack requires me to remove my foot which would be counter productive since I need the height it gives.

I guess it doesn’t have to fit perfectly into that recessed area but it’s really expensive for a piece of plastic. My wood idea is the same...

Yea, your wood idea will work just as well or better. Just throwing it out there in case you weren't familiar with it.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Yea, your wood idea will work just as well or better. Just throwing it out there in case you weren't familiar with it.

Thanks. I’m just surprised nobody makes anything that fits better. Has to be a common issue.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
I do that if I’m on level ground. But if I’m on a slope then that wouldn’t work.

I think I’m gonna go the safe route and just visit Home Depot and make a big block and use my router to make a big hole recess for the jack pad to sit in. This way it won’t ever move.

Yes, slopes can be tricky. I have a 6"x 10" myself. I also add a 2"x 6" or two if I need it.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

This is my set-up and has worked well for me for years, 4 support blocks and 1 (or more) top support boards. I use the same support size blocks under my stabilizers as well (1 under each stab).

The larger piece of wood directly under the round metal jack foot I carry three of them and use as needed.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
X2 ^^
Our favorite campground shares an area that also has a ski hill a couple miles away so a level site is unheard of. I use Duke4857's technique letting the weight of the trailer with the truck attached and in neutral to put pressure on the down hill side chocks then a second set of chocks on the up hill side. Then I disconnect from the truck. My down hill chocks are the Lynx lock ones that lock to the leveling pads. Never had a problem.
I also bring several different lengths of 6x6 treated posts from about 4" to probably 14" to use under both the front jack and the stabilizer jacks.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #16

I pretty much avoid any site with a severe slope. There is just too much jack needed to balance out the front to rear. That can really reek havic on a 30' plus TT resulting in a very high step at the front door. Unless its the only site left I would move to another site. Being retired we can avoid Friday arrivals and end up with a much better site selection.

What is causing the violent hitch release and subsequent movement of the jack foot?

I typically put a piece of 2/6 under the jack foot and maybe add a 4x4 block on top of that if additional height is needed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #17

I had that happen to me, two springs ago. I thing the soil was just soft. We use 2x6's to level, and chocking the lifted side is hard. I now apply my plastic Camco version of x-chocks between the wheels early, hand have them up tight.

As for the tongue, I set on the ground 2 pieces of plywood, that are 6x12" side by side. Then place on top of that a custom made multi step tongue block. This helps keep the weight spread out on soft soil.

I might have a picture on my work pc.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 AM   #18

Similar to what Jagiven mentioned, X-Chocks have worked very well for us. The tires essentially go on "lock down" when these are applied to both sides. Almost entirely eliminates any possibility of forward or backward movement on both sides, thus lateral movement in the forward part of the frame is severely diminished as well. It may not solve the entire issue as you described it, but it may help when added to your current plan.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...words=x+chocks
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #19

Sounds like your tires had side wall torque left in them after backing up. You need to back in and then straighten the trailer to remove the side wall tension or it will happen again. and chocks wont stop that from happening. good thing you didn't lose a shin or toe.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #20

Quote:
X2 - I’ve had a few times where the trailer moved after setting chocks and unhooking from the TV, even had the jack come off the blocks once. Then I began using the technique Duke4857 uses. I’ve never had another problem.