Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

So these scales seem to be lot more convenient that going to a CAT scale. Once I weigh my TT loaded at the CAT scale shouldn't I just be able to use a tongue scale after that to get an idea as to how I've loaded it? What say you?
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
So these scales seem to be a **** of a lot more convenient that going to a CAT scale. Once I weigh my TT loaded at the CAT scale shouldn't I just be able to use a tongue scale after that to get an idea as to how I've loaded it? What say you?
"To get an idea" in what regard, as to your loaded tw? If so, yes, that is the convenience of owning a Sherline or similar scale. Or what the total loaded weight of your trailer is? If so, then it could be yes, or no.... If you are only rearranging items to try to manage your loaded tw, yes as the total loaded weight isn't changing (within reason- taking an extra case of water/beer/pop won't be a drastic difference). If you're adding or removing a fair amount of stuff, then just weighing your tw will not tell you the total tt weight. You would need to hit a scale to find the total weight.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Tongue weight yes, TT weight no... there is no way of getting away from the CAT scale.. There are scales for under the TT wheels, but they probably cost a $$$$

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

But I'm not going to exceed the GVWR of my trailer so what do I need the CAT scale for? What I need to know is my tongue weight to be sure that I have things distributed properly. Right? For example, I go on a trip with our usual gear. I go to the CAT scale to find out the weight of the trailer. Once I know that number I just need to stay within 10-15% of that number for my tongue weight. If I'm within that range then my WDH should be good. At that point , all I need is a tongue scale to make sure that I don't buy too much crap for the trailer. Is that right?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
At that point , all I need is a tongue scale to make sure that I don't buy too much crap for the trailer. Is that right?
Like you said, you readjust the load to meet your tongue weight limit.. so to do that if you keep loading heavier things in the rear of the TT, your tongue weight will always be on the light side so you can pack more stuff in the front, then you add more to the rear and the front, but your tongue weight will be what you want it to be and the excess weight will be on the TT's axles. Your TT could be 500 pounds over weight, but if you balance the load out in the TT, your tongue weight will still look good. Then you are putting everyone at risk.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
But I'm not going to exceed the GVWR of my trailer so what do I need the CAT scale for? What I need to know is my tongue weight to be sure that I have things distributed properly. Right? For example, I go on a trip with our usual gear. I go to the CAT scale to find out the weight of the trailer. Once I know that number I just need to stay within 10-15% of that number for my tongue weight. If I'm within that range then my WDH should be good. At that point , all I need is a tongue scale to make sure that I don't buy too much crap for the trailer. Is that right?
You want your tw to range more so between 12-15%, not as low as 10%. Obviously this will vary from trailer to trailer, but generally you want 12-15% for a safe, stable tow. Open trailers are generally happy with about 10% tw for reference.

The other advantage of hitting the CAT scale is knowing if your wdh is adjusted properly or not. Granted, once it is set up this shouldn't need much adjust, unless you have changed how the tt is loaded a fair amount.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Like you said, you readjust the load to meet your tongue weight limit.. so to do that if you keep loading heavier things in the rear of the TT, your tongue weight will always be on the light side so you can pack more stuff in the front, then you add more to the rear and the front, but your tongue weight will be what you want it to be and the excess weight will be on the TT's axles. Your TT could be 500 pounds over weight, but if you balance the load out in the TT, your tongue weight will still look good. Then you are putting everyone at risk.

Don

Good point. CAT scale it is!