Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Winterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiize? Say it aint so!!!

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #12

Don't forget the outside shower!

2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #13

Tape your hot water heater plug to the wires by the water heater. (so you know where it is in the spring.)
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the instructions Jayco 228. This is my first winterize and I was going to use the compressor method but that sounds easy enough to do. I got I think a good deal on the antifreeze (2.19 @ 4 litre jug) and bought 8 of them so I think i'll go that route.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Thanks for the instructions Jayco 228. This is my first winterize and I was going to use the compressor method but that sounds easy enough to do. I got I think a good deal on the antifreeze (2.19 @ 4 litre jug) and bought 8 of them so I think i'll go that route.
That's a really good price I paid $12.67 ea for the 9.?L jugs here. I used two of them so you should be good for this fall and next.

Good tip Grumpy, and yes do not forget the outside shower.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #16

Yeah Crabman, us northerners and Canadians need to worry about this...you can probably camp all year around, depending where you are. Its 80 today, could snow tomorrow hahaha.. we never know and neither do the weather forecasters LOL.
Sounds pretty easy, we shall see, I have a quick question for our Jayco friends. I used to work at a pool store and was told that pool antifreeze is the same as RV antifreeze, does anybody know for sure, last thing I want to do is not have the right stuff and damage my plumbing. I'm pretty sure it is, pink non-toxic antifreeze, just looking for reassurance. By the way Jayco228 did you get a cover for her? Anybody else have an opinion on type of cover or something to look for or avoid.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #17

I have a few questions -

Should you leave the grey and black water tank valves open, and just close the drain pipe at side of the camper?

Should you let a little antifreeze go into the hot water tank? I'm thinking there could still be water in there.

How about disconnecting the shower and the outside shower so you don't have to fill them with antifreeze?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #18

That stinks. We still have a few more trips. My parents are going next week, my brother and his family are probably going at the end of the month and I'm taking it the wed before Columbus day for a week. It wouldn't surprise me if one of us uses it again in mid-late October. November 1 is usually when all the local CG's shut water off.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsuduke View Post
Yeah Crabman, us northerners and Canadians need to worry about this...you can probably camp all year around, depending where you are. Its 80 today, could snow tomorrow hahaha.. we never know and neither do the weather forecasters LOL.
Sounds pretty easy, we shall see, I have a quick question for our Jayco friends. I used to work at a pool store and was told that pool antifreeze is the same as RV antifreeze, does anybody know for sure, last thing I want to do is not have the right stuff and damage my plumbing. I'm pretty sure it is, pink non-toxic antifreeze, just looking for reassurance. By the way Jayco228 did you get a cover for her? Anybody else have an opinion on type of cover or something to look for or avoid.
Not sure what pool antifreeze looks like but if it is non toxic and good to -50C it should be? All the bottles I buy say "non toxic plumbing antifreeze". I am waiting to see if my buddy is going to let me use his quonset that he stored his old trailer in, if so then I don't need to worry, if not then I will be buying one. I did not cover my last trailer and in 3 years the decals started peeling and all the exterior took a really hard hit. If you think about it the trailer is sitting for 8 months thru the fall/winter and getting intense sun reflecting off the snow the whole time. I think I am going to give the cover a try, I know that there are different opinions out there.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #20

The private campground we were in posted Oct 14th as the last day to camp there, stating no access to campers left on site after that date... It's coming very quickly, everybody get what you can before the end of the season, I hope that I can join my family on the last trip Columbus day weekend, but not sure of my work schedule yet, gotta play it by ear.

Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote