Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer Winterized

Well I decided to get the trailer winterized tonight. The labour day long weekend was our last trip this year so I figured why put off the inevitable :-( I guess I can start counting the days until the May long weekend.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #2

Two of the saddest words in the English language.

I'm facing that after next weekend's trip.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #3

We should have another 6-8 weeks of camping weather, but yes, winterizing is inevitable, and very sad.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

You are going to miss fall camping, some of the best camping we ever do!
6 Speed Auto 3:92 Posi
Rambox Hemi Hard Loaded
Airlift Bags 20" Goodyears
2004 Jayco Eagle 308 FBs
Sold trailer starting search
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Two of the saddest words in the English language.
That IS sad! We have 2-3 trips planned before winterizing... the last probably Columbus Day weekend. If the weather holds, we may tow it to the IL's just to sleep in it for Thanksgiving. 6 adults, 4 kids, an ornery cat, elderly dog and puppy do not mix in 900 square feet. I figure hubby and I should be toasty enough in the 23b with the pups, especially if we turtle it.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #6

Whaaaa? It was 95 here in the Houston area, I can't even imagine prepping for winter yet. But my vision of winter usually entails long pants and shoes. The bride and I are thinking about a trip to the Memphis area in late October.
You good folks up North that can't migrate to warmer weather for the winter just fatten up, crawl into the den and spring will be here before you know it.
I am soooo looking forward to retirement (~4 yrs) so we can make some extended trips to the north and enjoy some of the sights and some spring and/or fall weather.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Our schedule just gets too busy once school and all the extra curricular activities start. I might take it out for a boys fishing week end before the snow flys, just can't use water which is no big deal. The weather here in Edmonton can be funny; it can turn on a dime. It can be 20 deg Celsius one day and minus 10 with 6" of snow the next. Don't like getting caught with my pants down, plus it was nice doing the winterizing in nice weather.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

Down here I am still planning a beach trip in Oct as the water temp is still in the 80's. Also reduced rates help make it better too!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

Jayco you are making me sad. Winterized already, wow. Wife has one more trip out , Columbus day and then we have to do the same, how did the winterizing go? Any trips to share with noobies or 228ers?
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsuduke View Post
Jayco you are making me sad. Winterized already, wow. Wife has one more trip out , Columbus day and then we have to do the same, how did the winterizing go? Any trips to share with noobies or 228ers?
Lsuduke I made myself sad LOL. Winterizing went really well, much easier than my old trailer.

Tip #1: I could have probably got away with one of the larger jugs of pluming antifreeze (9.? L size) but I like to make sure that I have lots of antifreeze in the traps and in the bottom of the black and grey. So if you are frugal one jug will probably do the job, I used 2.

Tip #2: Pull the hot water plug first and let it get a good drain. I leave the plug out for the winter, others may disagree with this. Very little water remains in the tank once it is drained so it probably does not matter.

Tip#3: Turn your bypass valves (3 to turn, see the attachment ( I got this from someone on here and it is very helpful)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346864343.972387.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  12.6 KB

Tip 4: My unit has a panel screwed in place in front of the pump left of the sink, I think some of you other 228 owners may just have a regular cupboard door to open to access your pump area, here you open the valve on the long hose that you will stick into your jug of antifreeze and close the valve going to your fresh water tank.

Tip #5: Open one tap at a time until you start to see a little pink. I started at my kitchen sink, then the bathroom sink, then the tub and then the tub shower (don't forget the shower) and then the outside shower. Then go back to your hot water tank and on the right hand side towards the back you will see two little T-handles mounted to the floor. These are your two low point drains, pull each one of them up for a second or two so you have antifreeze run out of them ( souls see it on the ground).

Tip #6: I do this probably not totally necessary but, I open the black and grey and drain out the antifreeze that is mixed with the water that is sitting in the tanks. Then I go back into the trailer and run another jug thru all the taps and call it done.

Sounds like a lot but if you take your time and prepare everything before you start it should only take 10-15 minutes.

This was my method, feel free to chime in if I am missing something or in error.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Winterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiize? Say it aint so!!!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #12

Don't forget the outside shower!
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

Tape your hot water heater plug to the wires by the water heater. (so you know where it is in the spring.)
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the instructions Jayco 228. This is my first winterize and I was going to use the compressor method but that sounds easy enough to do. I got I think a good deal on the antifreeze (2.19 @ 4 litre jug) and bought 8 of them so I think i'll go that route.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Thanks for the instructions Jayco 228. This is my first winterize and I was going to use the compressor method but that sounds easy enough to do. I got I think a good deal on the antifreeze (2.19 @ 4 litre jug) and bought 8 of them so I think i'll go that route.
That's a really good price I paid $12.67 ea for the 9.?L jugs here. I used two of them so you should be good for this fall and next.

Good tip Grumpy, and yes do not forget the outside shower.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #16

Yeah Crabman, us northerners and Canadians need to worry about this...you can probably camp all year around, depending where you are. Its 80 today, could snow tomorrow hahaha.. we never know and neither do the weather forecasters LOL.
Sounds pretty easy, we shall see, I have a quick question for our Jayco friends. I used to work at a pool store and was told that pool antifreeze is the same as RV antifreeze, does anybody know for sure, last thing I want to do is not have the right stuff and damage my plumbing. I'm pretty sure it is, pink non-toxic antifreeze, just looking for reassurance. By the way Jayco228 did you get a cover for her? Anybody else have an opinion on type of cover or something to look for or avoid.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #17

I have a few questions -

Should you leave the grey and black water tank valves open, and just close the drain pipe at side of the camper?

Should you let a little antifreeze go into the hot water tank? I'm thinking there could still be water in there.

How about disconnecting the shower and the outside shower so you don't have to fill them with antifreeze?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #18

That stinks. We still have a few more trips. My parents are going next week, my brother and his family are probably going at the end of the month and I'm taking it the wed before Columbus day for a week. It wouldn't surprise me if one of us uses it again in mid-late October. November 1 is usually when all the local CG's shut water off.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsuduke View Post
Yeah Crabman, us northerners and Canadians need to worry about this...you can probably camp all year around, depending where you are. Its 80 today, could snow tomorrow hahaha.. we never know and neither do the weather forecasters LOL.
Sounds pretty easy, we shall see, I have a quick question for our Jayco friends. I used to work at a pool store and was told that pool antifreeze is the same as RV antifreeze, does anybody know for sure, last thing I want to do is not have the right stuff and damage my plumbing. I'm pretty sure it is, pink non-toxic antifreeze, just looking for reassurance. By the way Jayco228 did you get a cover for her? Anybody else have an opinion on type of cover or something to look for or avoid.
Not sure what pool antifreeze looks like but if it is non toxic and good to -50C it should be? All the bottles I buy say "non toxic plumbing antifreeze". I am waiting to see if my buddy is going to let me use his quonset that he stored his old trailer in, if so then I don't need to worry, if not then I will be buying one. I did not cover my last trailer and in 3 years the decals started peeling and all the exterior took a really hard hit. If you think about it the trailer is sitting for 8 months thru the fall/winter and getting intense sun reflecting off the snow the whole time. I think I am going to give the cover a try, I know that there are different opinions out there.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #20

The private campground we were in posted Oct 14th as the last day to camp there, stating no access to campers left on site after that date... It's coming very quickly, everybody get what you can before the end of the season, I hope that I can join my family on the last trip Columbus day weekend, but not sure of my work schedule yet, gotta play it by ear.